weight ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my old Trek OCLV (full carbon) has been sitting for two years unused... so I flat-barred it to ride with my wife. Fun bike.

8047504892_db68d8db73_b.jpg

kinda heavy for cf:

8047521559_0db7bf7684_b.jpg

BlackJack said:
I'd like to see a thread on the heaviest bike someone can bunny hop.

I bunny hop this one (really) and it's pretty heavy:
100_3366.jpg

I can bunny hop this one as well, not only heavy, but a lot of weight out behind you:
IMG_4663.jpg

BlackJack said:
^^Looks like we have a winner unless someone can bunny hop a trike or a complete tank ballooner bike. 8)

I had an industrial trike and I could not bunny hop it, but with the right bars I bet I could hop my 56 JC Higgins.

I've just rolled mine onto the shipping scale at work. It's accurate, but not precise, in that it rounds up to the next whole pound and doesn't show decimal places. Apparently, that's how shipping companies bill, so that's how its measured. So, if a bike is 22.2 pounds, the scale says 23.

So, first, my '72 Raleigh.
P1013860.jpg

30 pounds with the saddle bag, alumimum fenders (installed after the photo was taken), tools, pump, lights, and a u-lock mounted.

My Surly Disc Trucker:
WP_000483.jpg

36 pounds as shown, but with the Topeak trunk bag removed (and an empty bottle).

This is the lightest cruiser I have - A Schwinn Classic Al3:
P1014147.jpg

35 pounds, with a lighter saddle on it. I replaced the springer saddle with a Brooks look-alike shorly after taking this. It has an aluminum frame, aluminum bars, stem, and wheels. Makes me wonder how other folks are getting steel-framed cruisers with more stuff on them down into the mid-30s range...

I finally got to weigh my work trike at the scrapyard and I think I got the title of heaviest bike at 112 lbs empty.
image-118.jpg

Actually it's not bad with a load. I did swap out the original 44t sprocket for a 36t though, that helps a bunch. It is rated up to 500 lbs plus 200lb rider so with a full load plus rider it could reach as much as 800lbs! :shock:

Someday I will weigh this bike, but Fugsley is approximately 60-70 pounds.

IMG_4875.jpg

So 112 pounds is the winner?

I'm over that already, still need to add the seat, bars, tank, air horn, chain, cranks, various levers and shifter, about 300 feet of mig wire and a bucket of paint... :mrgreen: I will update the weight when it is done... I estimate 160lbs when done, be interesting to see how close that guess is!

DSC00144 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Link to build thread: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=65514
As to a bunny hop... :lol: I cant even do one on a standard bmx... :oops:

Luke.

I recently picked up a hand-held luggage scale to use for this purpose. The shipping scale at work always rounds up to the next whole pound (so 32.2 lbs = 33), not that it's that much of a difference. But it is a lot more convenient, since I can keep it in my shop in a tool box. Handy for whole bikes and for relatively smaller components, though not were grams matter...

I picked up a scale for weighing deep sea fish at a yard sale for $2 at a yard sale a few weeks ago, so I hung it from a tree a few nights back and weighed Firewing. 53 Pounds.
I still need to weigh Fugsley. I was originally thinking around 70, but judging from the relative weight of Firewing, I believe Fugsley may be pushing 80.
IMG_2556-Copy_zpsb9d366f7.jpg

There's a lot of steel in that beast. I'll have to put the luggage scale on the 3-Star to see how it compares. One thing I can comment on, though, the dog absolutely does not like being weighed that way... :mrgreen:

expjawa said:
There's a lot of steel in that beast. I'll have to put the luggage scale on the 3-Star to see how it compares. One thing I can comment on, though, the dog absolutely does not like being weighed that way... :mrgreen:

I wonder how much a stock one weighs? The biggest extra I have on are the hidden steel nanner seat supports. They flames look like they add weight, but they are just thin aluminum. The Elgin skirts add a little. The nanner itself. And the tail light.

I expect that a stock one was no lightweight. But without one on hand, its hard to say. Mine was relatively stripped down before adding the skirts and some extra aluminum bits, so that's no reference. Of course, all bets are off with the new wheel/tire combo, and my flat blade fork is definitely heavier than the old one.

Your bars probably add a little extra weight too, since there's probably more tubing length in them. There's also your shifter assembly with glass knob, which in turn leads to your geared hub, which is probably a little heavier than the coaster hub that would've been stock. That stuff all adds up. Do you have separate battery packs for each light?

Two D Cells inside the headlight (just like orig)
Two D Cells in tank horn (just like orig)
One 9V for the tail light

Back