weight ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kingfish254 said:
Two D Cells inside the headlight (just like orig)
Two D Cells in tank horn (just like orig)
One 9V for the tail light

OK. On mine, I've got 4 AA cells running the head & tail light combination. My horn was replaced by a brass bell, so no battery there. Now I'm quite keen to find out what the whole combination of parts weighs...

My Mercury,Stock Ins'ts, Rusty brother weighs in at 52.6 lbs. Minus the paper-bags. Will have to weigh Stock Isn't tomorrow.
IMG_0541_zps0d2b64ed.jpg

IMG_0542_zps562e5e14.jpg

Yeah, ya gotta be careful where ya put the hook! :shock:
expjawa said:
There's a lot of steel in that beast. I'll have to put the luggage scale on the 3-Star to see how it compares. One thing I can comment on, though, the dog absolutely does not like being weighed that way... :mrgreen:

Panelman, that rusty Mercury looks awesome. I don't feel bad about FW's weight now. After riding Fugsley, all other bikes are lightweights to me anyway. :)

expjawa said:
Ok King, I just weighed my 3-Star - 48.8 pounds, as presented in the official photos.

Not much less that Firewing then. But you have the big wheelset too.

I had some time to kill, so I weighed some bikes:

This is the 1978 Schwinn Klunker5 I recently picked up, complete and stock:

IMG_1296.jpg

klunker5.jpg

That is a super heavy bike!

How about my Mongoose Beast, swapped chainring, pedals, cranks, bars and other weight savings(not all upgrades shown in photo):

DB9764A8-D1FF-4B9E-AA94-8ABD2BBD103C-17122-00000C1C199781F4.jpg

beast.jpg

Lighter than the Schwinn Klunker5!

My Gravity G29 small frame size 29er, rigid single speed:

IMG_4869.jpg

29er.jpg

My Build-Off bike, the 1936 Off-Roadmaster:

IMG_3798.jpg

1936offroadmaster.jpg

Klunker 1, an 80s Hunter cruiser turned klunker during the build-off:

null-21.jpg

klunker1.jpg

My early to mid 80s Eddy Merckx team Karel Mintjens race bike, full Capagnolo:

mint01-1.jpg

eddymerckx.jpg

Super light for a steel bike!!!

My Walmart Mongoose Cachet fixed gear bike, upgraded to lighter bars, stripped rear brakes and other weight savings:

fixiiii_zps2ab006ae.jpg

fixie.jpg

Really crappy that this stripped down aluminum single speed weighs more than an old road bike.

Last year's build-off bike, Higgins the German Spy, 1956 J.C. Higgins with mega apes:

done08.jpg

higgins.jpg

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
ooo you still have that Merckx. Beautiful bike.

Nice weigh-in yoot

Yes, I have the Merckx and I really want to ride it, but it has sew up tires, an expense I can't afford and too much money to install incorrectly.

deorman said:
I guess it needs to be light if all you can do is carry it. :p :mrgreen:

Exactly, just like the fixie. Blew a tube, took months to get a new one with no bike shop around, so I put it in, took it for one ride and now the other tire is flat... UGH!

Here's the kicker, the OG tubes/tires on the Klunker5 are still holding air that I put in them 2 weeks back, and I've been able to ride it. Not a bad $10 spent on that bike.

ah, man. I want a hanging scale like that.
guess I gotta make a trip to to harbor freight :lol:

beatcad said:
ah, man. I want a hanging scale like that.
guess I gotta make a trip to to harbor freight :lol:

I think I got mine on Amazon for around $6, pretty sure it's a luggage scale.

Back