Recent content by RustySprockets

1. RustySprockets

USA bike tour on a budget

The guy doesn't believe in traveling light, does he?
  2. RustySprockets

new black phantom,walmart.com

A sell-out is actually a good thing, as Pacific is apt to continue producing tribute bikes. I really liked their interpretation of the Schwinn Collegiate released this Summer. But, I wasn't about to drop ONE THOUSAND dollars on one, especially since I'd already built a similar Jamis commuter...
  3. RustySprockets

Hawthorne

Looks like an early '60s Murray-built bike to me.
  4. RustySprockets

Layback seatpost for 56 roadmaster

Double-bolt clamp to the rescue...maybe. A shim, like the one pictured, will likely be in order. I just measured my '54 Shelby w/ quill seatpost and its seat tube extends about 1" above the top tube. If your frame is similar, then there may be enough 'meat' there to install a traditional...
  5. RustySprockets

Layback seatpost for 56 roadmaster

A quill stem is the right idea, but maybe not so good in practice? Finding an acceptable stem with the proper reach might pose a real challenge. I'd probably lean toward using a genuine layback post and modify a BMX-style clamp for the job. Just a suggestion.
  6. RustySprockets

Not much original here a real mish mash but what about the frame?

Oh... I still owe you an explanation on the tire size, and I think this chart helps make things clearer. All five of these tires are 26", but the hole in the center of each are different. The ballooner bikes use the last tire on the right--a bead seat diameter of 559 mm. They're easy to...
  7. RustySprockets

Not sure what tools you have at your disposal, but slender cone wrenches make hub service much simpler. Apart from those and a chain breaker, I'm not sure these vintage bikes need any specialty tools, unlike their modern counterparts.
  8. RustySprockets

Yours has been cannibalized to the point it's now a cool bike, but not a collectible. The rims are unsightly, but they're also steel and surprisingly strong--I expect the wheel can be made rideable. Replace the Uniroyals with any 26" tire that is measured in DECIMAL notation (not fractions)...
  9. RustySprockets

I got this beast today

That news story hit close to home, since our own local bike collective is searching for new digs.
  10. RustySprockets

Don't tell my 3 orthopedic surgeons I am here...

With the handlebars folded back, our Miami Sun fit easily in the back of a Ford Escape. You couldn't do that with a Schwinn Meridian, and you'd throw your back out trying with a Worksman! I thought a trike might be a little 'stodgy' for your taste, but leaf through the forums and see what's...
  11. RustySprockets

Don't tell my 3 orthopedic surgeons I am here...

Welcome aboard! Sorry to hear of your past misfortunes, but you seem to be taking them in stride. I have a suggestion you might not have considered--a pedal trike. I personally like the ones from Miami Sun that are lightweight and multi-speed...with space in the back for carrying tools and...
  12. RustySprockets

BO15 PunkYard Dog

Not a bad choice. I just hope you can finish in the next seven hours!
  13. RustySprockets

Cheap huffy being sold as ready to ride with loose axles and cracked tires.

Speaking of... https://budgetbicyclectr.com/1979-schwinn-caliente-road-bicycle-18.html Complete with a Positron II derailleur and FFS bottom bracket freewheel. How can you NOT part with $300?! The suicide brakes are a bonus--no extra charge.
  14. RustySprockets

Ladies Columbia Step-through -- $50 (Finksburg, MD)

Terrible photos, but the bike looks complete. https://baltimore.craigslist.org/bik/d/finksburg-vintage-bike/7180967198.html