BUILD OFF #5 IS COMING

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool just read the rules to the build off, I think I am down. Have an idea and most of the parts, just need to find a frame. I'll have to see what garbage night produces this week. (students are starting to leave too so the treasures should increase :D ) If I can find a frame I am in.

Can somebody give me a clue where the rules and stipulations for the buildoff are?

to add to the frame mod rule the part of the seat post that can be removed is the part that sticks out above the frame. not the actual lower part of the seat post like between the tubes. a previously modified frame is not able to be entered like the one pictured icyuod2 because the original structure of the original frame was modified. however if you had a stock frame and added a trike rear end to it that would work.

Can a tube be added to a stock frame if the original frame shape and geometry does'nt change?

as the rules state you can weld things onto the frame all you want. you just cant cut and say stretch a stock frame. basicly it makes it a lot harder and is one of the most challenging comps i know. if you have any doubts look at the rules posted at the beginning of each of the build offs. the rules are pretty simple and if someone does something that is not considered correct and aganst the rules they will get called on it. good luck to all i am gonna have a lot of fun sitting back and watching the sparks fly on this one.

karfer67 said:
as the rules state you can weld things onto the frame all you want. you just cant cut and say stretch a stock frame. basicly it makes it a lot harder and is one of the most challenging comps i know.

its surposed to even the playing field for all those who do not have access to a welder/shop. instead its a race to find the coolest bikes/bike parts. search hard, cause those same sick fabricators are still gonna adorn their bikes with some killa mods. makes for a whole lot of bikes that look similar and a handfull that rise above.

just out of curiosity are factory stretched frames allowed? (electra's for example) not that i would purchase one, but
usuing new cool factory stretched frames, seems to be pulling away from the original concept of the challange. (giving an old bike a new lease on life) new frames are putting the emphisis on the wallet and not our skills.(which is so unratty)

if ya wanna stay true to the cause, i think an age limit should be set in place for the age of the frame.
no billet alum, nothing newer than the 60's in my eyes is the only way to stay true to the rat rod cause.

the entries seem to be getting newer and newer all the time. at this pace, before long it will be the hot rod build off. :D

btw i was joking about the trike. i got my frame ready to go.

Usually the best way for me to guarantee a bike doesn't get finished is to put it in a build off. This time, however, I promised it to my dad so hopefully some deep-seated childhood fear of disappointing him will pull me through
3.gif

It doesn't matter if it's a new frame or an old frame.....or a tandem frame, just use a factory frame and it's cool.

cant wait. better start saving money for my build off bike. :D

a "factory" production frame is all that is required. NOW then to say what is production could be a grey area. in my eyes that means a frame that is available in stock form to the masses. however as in the old days of nascar manufactures got around this rule by making the minimum number of said vehicle to make them legal to race. sooooo can anyone see where the grey area in this lies? oh and think about it a basman is production :wink:

People tend to argue over the rules like bratty schoolchildren. The way I look at it though, build it any way you think is best and let the final poll speak for itself.

Put me down, I have a 60's Freight Liner that I found, maybe I can make into a dump truck by adding a Wheel Barrow for the front end and a back up alarm to the rear drop outs.
Rich-

blsm said:
People tend to argue over the rules like bratty schoolchildren. The way I look at it though, build it any way you think is best and let the final poll speak for itself.

here here.

i mean if the rrbo is the only reason your building a bike, your missing the point entirely.
build it, ride it and have fun with it.

RRB build offs always have super cool bikes. And pushing the limit on the rules is somewhat expected, I think.

In RRBBO4 there were a couple of bikes that had rear drop out extensions. Is that legal?

One was my Starliner Cafe, with bolt on dropouts (assisted with some epoxy), and in my build thread I showed how they were made and attached to the bike. No welding or cutting was done to my original Spaceliner frame. And no, the Starliner wasn't very rat.

But, the other bike with the extended rear dropouts, I believe were welded on ( I could not find a build thread for that bike). With welding on brackets and attachment points being legal, my question.....are welded on rear dropout extensions legal when the original rear drop outs remain on the bike?

Personally, I think the frames used should be common mass production standard bike frames, not factory customs and stretched frames.

After all it is at RAT BIKE build off. And when its time to vote, vote for the best RAT BIKE.

I plan on trying to put something together for an entry. Will this one have a theme, or just best rat bike?

xHOBOPHOBIAx said:
I plan on trying to put something together for an entry. Will this one have a theme, or just best rat bike?

The main build off is not theme related...just build a cool rat rod bike. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back