1950 CCM "Victoria"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's my starting point. I just love that frame design and will try to showcase it's special features during the build. I will also post detailed information about the build in my new blog http://bikeoverhaul2.blogspot.com

Vicky1.jpg

Canon011.jpg

Thanks guys. Here's what's left after deconstruction. The wheels are shot, but the hubs are good. I'm lucky since those 28 inch wheels are the 36 spoke kind. I will build myself some 26 inch wheels and paint the rims the same color as the original. Right now I figure I will keep the original finish, clean it up and clear coat it.

Canon013-1.jpg

very nice, can't wait to see the result!

were did you find it?

I can't wait to see what you do with this one XD - I've got the same bike stashed away at my parents place (actually, it's my mom's old bike)

Too bad about the rims though :( , what's the problem with them ? (I can't tell from the pictures)

-Mp

Multipass said:
Too bad about the rims though :( , what's the problem with them ? (I can't tell from the pictures)

-Mp

My guess MP woulb be that they are CCM Rims,
they are a VERY HARD tire to find,
The Rims are norrow, and the bead seat is unique on a CCM.
Using a CCM Rim would Limit the ability to put ant kind of Cool Tire
on the Bike..

just my guess....being a CCM Owner.

Very Vool Bike XD,
I can't wait to see it grow.

For those who don't know....CCM is one of the Oldest Bicycle / Motorcycle Companies in the World.

CCM stands for "Canadian Cycle and Motor" Company"
and they built Motorcycles near the Turn of the Century...
as well as Bikes.

I didn't mean to Hi-Jack the Build Thread XD,
I just wanted to explain The CCM Tradition in Canada a little.

This should be another great Build XD!
your Builds are always awesome!

Kev.

Kev is right, the tires for those rims are hard to find and your limited to just one kind of tire, they were also corroded beyond repair. But that rear hub is something else. I write with filthy hands right now after being busy in the shop on a couple of things. One of them was cleaning that rear hub, it is a thing of beauty! CCM in it's early days, like in 1950, built their own components. So a CCM bike was a CCM bike. This changed in the 70's. That hub is irreplaceable. I'll post some pics later.

That was cool Kev :D Peace

Gerry

Here's the rear hub after some TLC. The thing is engraved "CCM" just about everywhere. The "CCM 37" inscription on the hub refers to the patent date of the design in 1937. I just opened up the hub enough to squeeze in some grease on those bearings with a syringe. Every time I take one of those apart it commits suicide! I have to figure outy something to plug that small lube hole in the middle of the hub.

Canon032.jpg

Canon031.jpg

Well since the paint job only involves sealing the existing finish, I decided to do it right away and be done with it. I would kill myself if I waited too long and the right weather just wouldn't show up in time. I wet sanded the entire frame with 600 grit sandpaper. Actually, I caressed the frame with wet sandpaper. Very slowly and very carefully. The main goal was to smooth out the bumps and rust. Came out pretty good. Don't think for a minute that I'm done with this. Can someone say "pinstripes"? :mrgreen: I ued cheap clear lacquer that I had lying around my workshop. Cost of the operation so far is still $0.

Canon040.jpg

Canon037.jpg

Canon038.jpg

Hey Gerry, I picked up a 28" CCM just the other day and the tires still hold air well. If you're interested in them, PM me and we can work something out.

WOW!

I'm writing this from work, night shift, with dirty hands from making sneaky aluminum parts for my little Ross...

WOW that pinstriping looks good! You got a good hand there, mister!

Nice nice nice!

--=={{Rob}}==--

Latest posts

Back