GLENDERSON - [winter build off]

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
09/01/2014

I went grocery shopping today and came home with these lovely plants...

16_Plants.jpg

They are a bit neglected and were on sale for $2 each. You are probably wondering why I am mentioning this since nice pot plants aren't really rat rod bike material... but take a look at the pot on its own... on its side...

17_Headlight.jpg

Sooo... do you recognise something o_O see where I'm going o_Oo_O get what I'm driving at o_Oo_Oo_O are the pieces fitting o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O has the penny dropped o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Yes... it's my headlight bucket :dance2:

So anyway... I tacked the frame together today too. Man... I really needed about six more hands to do it :eek: but do it I did. :D

18_FrameTacked.jpg

Whaddaya reckon?

Glen.

Glen Think your bike is going to be way cool. Didn't see any replies on your fork issue (front vs rear trail). Isn't the front trail as shown, the way to go. I don't believe the bike will travel forward properly any other way. Wouldn't rear trail be the same as negative caster on an auto? Dave

10/01/2014

Got a bit of PVC pipe today that will most likely become my tank...

19_TankPVC.jpg

Got home and noticed water leaking from the car... turned out to be a hole in a coolant hose. You can just see the offending bit in the photo above. So now I'll have to see if I can get a replacement before doing any more work on the bike :mad:

Thanks for the comments Luke and Pushie... I need all the encouragement I can get :)

Glen Think your bike is going to be way cool. Didn't see any replies on your fork issue (front vs rear trail). Isn't the front trail as shown, the way to go. I don't believe the bike will travel forward properly any other way. Wouldn't rear trail be the same as negative caster on an auto? Dave

Hi Dave,

I think by "front trail" you are referring to this...

06_TrailingLink.jpg

...which is trailing link and I think it will make for better steering.

The leading link is this one...

05_LeadingLink.jpg

...which shows it to be almost neutral trail-wise, but probably looks better :cool:

The dodgy way the frame is made though means that absolutely no accuracy can be obtained... these diagrams were more for me to get things straight in my head. Although things in my head are pretty wobbly too :blush:

I will just go ahead and make the frame and the fork and stick them together to see what happens, then I can swap around if I need to :39:

Glen.

Glen, we just had a new member join up from Australia called "BigDave" "BDC", in his intro he happens to mention that he does motorbike journalism for work and gives a link, look what can be found there... http://www.bigdavesplace.co/search/label/Henderson

Luke.

Last edited:
Glen, we just had a new member join up from Australia called "BigDave" "BDC", in his intro he happens to mention that he does motorbike journalism for work and gives a link, look what can be found there... http://www.bigdavesplace.co/search/label/Henderson

Luke.

Nice... thanks Luke. The shape of first one shown in that video is more like the one that charliechaindrive is doing with his "henderson tribute"...

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/henderson-tribute.66868/

No posts on that since last June but it's looking good.

Glen.

12/01/2014

We now resume our regular programming...

Well, I can't do anything on my car until a new hose arrives, so I did a bit more work on Glenderson and then did a wee mock up.

20_MockUp.jpg

:eek: I like long bikes but this is LOOOONG! Looks like it should be at Bonneville o_O

Wheel base in this mock up is 173cm (about 68 inches) :43:

Still so much to do...

1. Sort something for the dome ends of the tank
  2. Decide whether to hinge the tank as a storage compartment, then figure out how
  3. Do the mudguards
  4. Do the handlebars
  5. Continue on the fork
  6. Make the headlight
  7. Make the tail light
  8. Make the stand
  9. Figure out the gear levering and do that
  10. Decide on the brakes to use, coaster on front maybe, discs maybe
  11. Figure out the brake levering
  12. Do a seat
  13. Make the wheels
  14. Decide on paint/finish

Wow... that's a long list and I'll bet some smarty-pants on here will find something else I need to do that I have forgotten :confused:

Glen.

13/01/2014

Breaking_News.jpg

It was revealed earlier today that to replace the hose that sprung a leak on Glen's Nissan with a genuine part will cost "about 350 dollars" which translates in english to "over 350 dollars".

This caused widespread panic and chaos until the crisis was averted with two hose clamps and a short piece of metal tubing for 10 dollars.

The trauma and angst that this caused might be felt for quite a few minutes to come.

More news as it comes to hand.

Last edited:
Yep... that's what the dude said. It is a hose that goes around the back of the engine and fits onto a metal tube that goes forward to the lower radiator hose. Here is a diagram I found online...

svl1cy.jpg

The hose is the part numbered 21503V which you can see up there ^^^^ . They only sell the whole thing including the metal tube bit which is attached to the rubber hose :rolleyes:

So I thought... "up your nose with a rubber hose" and decided to just fix it. Hopefully it will hold :confused:

Glen.

Last edited:
You would think so wouldn't you? But Repco had nothing similar in shape and I looked online but found nothing similar there either. I will keep searching and see if something turns up but in the meantime... my fix will do for now.

Glen.

Looking good so far.

Thanks mate :thumbsup:

Struck another problem... money :rolleyes: I am lacking it and therefore can't buy the bits and pieces that I would like to make this the bike I want it to be. There are some items still on their way to me so I can get on with some things until I get some more welding wire... yes, I ran out, so no more metal melting for a bit :headbang:

Maybe I should put this thing on hold for a while :(

Glen.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back