j.c. higgins "Grimace" in the for sale section

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well heres what i started with
014-1.jpg

011-2.jpg

bendix hub, made in mexico
006-6.jpg

rear hub, rebuilt. the cranks and pedals are also rebuilt.
the tires were origional, but were shot. they sais 26, so theyre getting replaced with street skinny knbby tires.
and why its called the grapecycle. . well youll find out

Re: grapecycle

well, my dad saw it today. at first he asked "are you sure thats worth anything? cause when we were kids, all we had were the cool schwinns, everything else got scrapped. like amc, huffy, and sears. they all got scrapped when they were broken" me"dad, you literally answered your own question"so we got to talking bout the bike and he told me how kids would get these *cheap* bikes, put knobby tires on them, and jump them at the river across from his house. so it looks like im going back to the 60's. so heres where im at
-knobby tires
-black walls. or super skinny white walls
-stronger front fork (more than likely a schwinn blade)
-set back leather seat
-short rear fender (possibly, ill see how it looks)

and whoever used car oil to lube a rear hub. . . i hate you

nwt76 said:
What about this Grape Krush to go with Orange Krush
CrushGrapeIllJumbo.jpg

or

NuGrape.jpg
dang it! ive ben figued out! i was thinking grapecycle cause ive wantd a cool purple bie for a while, and cause i was ating a grape-cicle earlier hahaha.
anywo, not areal update. rims unlaced and sanded. thinking white rims.

I think I'm seeing a trend... Orange 'krush', purple 'grapecycle'...

crush-soda-pop-coupon-bogo.jpg

Now if you do your buildoff bike up in red with a sort of 'strawberry' reference, (and maybe even a kid's bike for the 'diet' theme :roll: ) you'd have a pretty awesome theme trifecta there!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Strings_and_steam said:
I think I'm seeing a trend... Orange 'krush', purple 'grapecycle'...

crush-soda-pop-coupon-bogo.jpg

Now if you do your buildoff bike up in red with a sort of 'strawberry' reference, (and maybe even a kid's bike for the 'diet' theme :roll: ) you'd have a pretty awesome theme trifecta there!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
. . . .red you say?! im thinking now. :mrgreen:

006-7.jpg

008-4.jpg

009-1.jpg

010-1.jpg

013-1.jpg

014-2.jpg

well atleast i dont have to question my tire size. haha. how long has bendix been in mexico? and was this a redline or what kind of hub is this?

question: the line on the center of this hub looks yellow? is it rust, or is it paint?

snydur said:
question: the line on the center of this hub looks yellow? is it rust, or is it paint?

It is probably just rust. When folks talk about red, blue, yellow band bendix hubs they are referring to the 2 speed hubs. Although I have seen some single speed bendix hubs had colored bands.

020-1.jpg
shiny stuff is shiny again! rims rebuilt, and everything is cleaned up and polished. :mrgreen:

022-3.jpg

i need some honest opinions about these forks. they arent old, but they fit. im on the fence about them. so please be truthful (other forks are pretty bad, but ill still see what i can do)

Re: purple j.c. higgins "Grimace"

That is a nice start for a cool bike. Does the crank spindle have "puch" stamped in the center? Or any other makers markings?

it has a p stamdped in in the center. the numbers 16GC and some weird company logo thing (?) cant really make out

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
I like the white one :wink:
i like it a little more to. the one that will go on, might be a 24 so it will sit a smidge lower, and not have such a huge gap.

so i went and grabbed some steel wool to see how much of the flakey drak orange paint i could remove. well surprize, surprize, it wasnt dark orange at all.
004-8.jpg

so here is what i have come up with so far. with all the sand and all the dead bugs and the bright colored pain and tape marks: this is a very old racing bike. used around the world, rode in the sahara (sand) and the jungles (bugs) and in the winding streets of sanfran (bent forks) but one day someone whom was racing it, got hit by a car. swirving and bending the front rim a little bit. because they were so scared, the needed to protect themselves. so the spray painted the bike from red to bright orange and put reflector tape on the center tube. and thats what happened.

005-8.jpg

oh, and this might help us with some actual history.

Re: purple j.c. higgins "Grimace" rims, and some cleaning

that was a bad idea :mrgreen:

Re: purple j.c. higgins "Grimace" 5-21 handlebars and seat.

the laidback seatpost came off. not cause it didnt work, just because it looked wrong.
018-3.jpg

the handle bars on te groud in this picture went on it, and they look right at home.
the metal seat pan off the KRUSH bike went on it (got new schwinn pillow top ones),and im one the fence about it right now. also the front forks are straightened, and tubes and tires are coming next week.

im afraid that his bike is taking on a dfferent feel than what i originaly wanted. but alls well that ends well.
also, i have an idea, this bike will probably be ridden mosty by my oler sister. she is tired of purple (after a full ride scholarship to University of Portland, everything is slowly becoming purple) so would this bike look right all white, with maybe just purple forks? opinions please. thanks :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back