j.c. higgins "Grimace" in the for sale section

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: j.c. higgins "Grimace" lot done today

015-8.jpg

kind of an update, everything is back together and the rims are trued this time. it got one more coat of white as well. but now i need some opinions.

the seat is kinda comfortable, and really isnt to bad, but it doesnt really "fit" what i want for my bike. ive been thinking a blue plastic bmx seat, oldschool one off a gt that i could get for round 10 bucks. so what do you all think? im open for any suggestions on the saet

other thing ive been wondering is the tires. i finally decided to break down and buy some since the rims arent very good on the street :mrgreen: and i realized yesterday, that i shouldve asked socal ratpack to look for a pair when he went to ontario, but i didnt. so i guess im open to anything for those to. i saw a gum sided pair i sorta like, but black just isnt looking right on this bike. any suggestions? thanks!

Re: j.c. higgins "Grimace" school in two weeks, not done

I saw that you were thinking about some gumwalls for a bike (I'm guessing this is the bike). Me and a buddy have built a couple 26" cruiser brake bikles and both used gumwalls. My red Schwinn has S-6 (I think...), Shwinn specific 26" tires, and I am not sure on his exact size, but they are 26". My gumwalls came from bikemanforu.com. I already need a new rear wheel after about 80-100 miles, so they either don;t last long or I skid too much.

DSC04829.JPG

tyler7.jpg

oh, hmmm. thanks for that. its going to be a commuter bike and get ridden bout 10 miles a day so i guess i will need something that really lasts.the brakes on this hub lock up pretty easy, so im pretty sure it will slide as well.

038-1.jpg

the tires were as expensive as the tubes!!

Re: j.c. higgins "Grimace" Kmart gods were smiling on me tonight

040-1.jpg

tommorow i will ride it. i can tell the hub is acting up, so ill see whats up first so tommorow i can have a flawless victory ride

weekend-fun said:
snydur, was it hard to releace/rebuild the wheels??? I've been considering it, but I don't want to risk it if its too hard...
not at all actually. the one thing ive learned so far at three sets is a: take alot of pictures and b: dont mix up spokes. the first rims i did took about 4 times before the "ahh" moment finally struck, then its just like nothing. as for the truing, well i havent figured that out yet. even on this bike, i just realized someone at the lbs lied. the back rim is baaaad.

:x i mean really LBS?! really?! fron rim is perfect, back obviously isnt. also making weird noises, reap sprocket is bent. jipper.

snydur said:
weekend-fun said:
snydur, was it hard to releace/rebuild the wheels??? I've been considering it, but I don't want to risk it if its too hard...
not at all actually. the one thing ive learned so far at three sets is a: take alot of pictures and b: dont mix up spokes. the first rims i did took about 4 times before the "ahh" moment finally struck, then its just like nothing. as for the truing, well i havent figured that out yet. even on this bike, i just realized someone at the lbs lied. the back rim is baaaad.
ahh that sucks, hope you get it worked out, this is a great bike!

woke up early this morning, and decided i was going to true the rim. i was kinda pissed, and wanted to ride my bike. so powered by anger and rockstar i sat for an hour perfecting the rear rim. and it worked. there still afew things that had to be perfected, but i could ride it forever and not notice it.
001-13.jpg

tires back on, garage is a mess, sorry
002-15.jpg

rode it round the block. and i have to say im really loving it. its light, and comfortable, and the gear ratio lets me fly. but i have learned three things
-right pedal stud is slightly bent
-the brakes work. . .well!!
-schwinn tires are very "sticky" on blacktop
-and pedaling faster makes the weird noises go away
ill got for a ride tonight and let my inner photographer out

Re: j.c. higgins "Grimace" YYYEEAAAHHHH!!!! got my job!!

i just realized as i was on here that i had a missed call from when i was riding my bike. guess who it was. KRAGEN AUTO!!!! got my call about a job. said its mine if i still want it. heck yeah i still want it!! some papers to sign, and people to talk to, but by this time next week, ill be at the corner of pedley and limonite in my own little candy store.

snydur said:
i just realized as i was on here that i had a missed call from when i was riding my bike. guess who it was. KRAGEN AUTO!!!! got my call about a job. said its mine if i still want it. heck yeah i still want it!! some papers to sign, and people to talk to, but by this time next week, ill be at the corner of pedley and limonite in my own little candy store.

congrats homie thats always a good thing to have that good call come in when you least expect it....MORE BIKE FUND MONEY ON THE WAY !!! :lol: :lol:

went for a ride today, about 5 miles all around. not a hitch. i was cruising somewhere around 15 mph, my legs werent sore, and there was just enough sweat to make me realize i was riding a bike. i was on my way to my school to pick up some papers, so there wasnt much scenery. took some pictures anyway. later tonight im gioing to my bike guys to find a different seat, and theres some better stuff along the way.
012-5.jpg

looking at this one, its begging for a company logo on the right hand side. anyone need it? haha. thinking of choppin it it up and making it a facebook banner
017-5.jpg

thinking" light stay red, light stay red, light stay red"
023-3.jpg

oh silly bike! why you in my bed? :mrgreen:

Re: j.c. higgins "Grimace" riding hard . . ish

hit a pretty good score today. found a whole bike in a trash can. everything was gone except seat, forks, a ruined rim, and the frame. well thats all i needed!
002-16.jpg

the forks have to be cut a little, and the seat. . .well i dont know much about it. im not even sure if its going on the bike.

Re: j.c. higgins "Grimace" parts.

002-17.jpg

oh hey there dog, hope you didnt want to just walk in and lay right in front of my bike. oh you did? okay :mrgreen: the .... thing is deaf, half blind, and just stubborn, but i love her.
004-5.jpg

you might recognize them bars from the krush bike, they look better here. seats different to. fors are prefect, maybe need to paint them, or sand them

Re: j.c. higgins "Grimace" i think im done

028-3.jpg

oh hey, didnt hear you coming :roll:
took this pile on a real mud fliging ride on some trails i never went on before. so a bike thats good on the street, rain in sheets, and trails ive never walked let alone ridden. but its only five min away, and i was bored. so off we went. 745 and 80 degrees, humidity is a plus
032.jpg

made it up the hill. blah blah blah. it was actually a really good ride. very short.
034.jpg

blah blah blah,
038-2.jpg

ha ha! what youve all been waiting for! (for like 2 seconds)
038-2.jpg

rocketing down!! ride was pwerfect, hitting some bumps, and sliding in ridges, but thats the fun. the street tires wouldnt stick to nothing. mud was getting stuckon, and flying off into my face and glasses. the brakes got a good tesing in afe places. but i didnt fall! whoop!
039-1.jpg

it was a little bumpy. but i managed to put my hand in my pocket, and take a picture for you Rat Rod Bikes, for you.
so another project that defeated its purpose. it was sposed to be all origional, and a little hot rodded. nothing was what i planned. its comphy, and fast, and is already getting beatup. some people have made suggestions on the street, i dont care. its done! and its perfect, even though i hate it. it will probably never die, and be the best bike ever, but fo some reason (maybe its the tires) i hate it

Back