j.c. higgins "Grimace" in the for sale section

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: purple j.c. higgins "Grimace" 5-21 handlebars and seat.

i have a chrome taillight just like that that i found at my deer lease half buried in the mud. ive been workin on cleaning it up to use on my current project, any idea what it came off of? freakin sick bike though, forget the purple leave it black on white

That looks like a 50's Hercules, made for JC Higgins, frame. That's going by the chrome fork crown. Later on they used Puch frames made in Austria, but I think this one is earlier and made in Birmingham England. Save the original forks even if they are bent a little. Bendix started making the coaster hubs in Mexico in 70, before that, they were red band for the one speeds. Your bike probably started out as a 3 speed, and was changed up a few times. The handlebar stem looks newer also. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished up.

sumnermclain said:
i have a chrome taillight just like that that i found at my deer lease half buried in the mud. ive been workin on cleaning it up to use on my current project, any idea what it came off of? freakin sick bike though, forget the purple leave it black on white
haha, the bike in the picture is another build (cheezy board tracker) but the light on it is an s&m from the 50's they were a dealer option on tri five chevys and fords. thats about all i know.
kind of an update, my older sister who is on vacation at the moment said that the bike is going to be designed and painted by her (sure why not, your an art student) so i guess we'll see. meanwhile the rims are getting trued and tires are sitting around. if i can find my cameras cord ill upload alooot of pics. :mrgreen: this one is getting dne pretty qick. but wait till you see whats coming up.

Wildcat said:
That looks like a 50's Hercules, made for JC Higgins, frame. That's going by the chrome fork crown. Later on they used Puch frames made in Austria, but I think this one is earlier and made in Birmingham England. Save the original forks even if they are bent a little. Bendix started making the coaster hubs in Mexico in 70, before that, they were red band for the one speeds. Your bike probably started out as a 3 speed, and was changed up a few times. The handlebar stem looks newer also. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished up.
yes it is newer! i noticed that afew day ago. the bars arent marked, but there not on it anymore. a period correct wald stem went on it along with different handlebars.
and thanks for the info. :D

124.jpg

need a different seat. any ideas?

Re: j.c. higgins "Grimace" 6-24 1 month bump

well i woke up this morning (late) and decided i was going to get something done on this bike, because it doesnt look cool just sitting as a frame by my bed. so i got to putting it back together.
001-11.jpg

i got the new bars on, and all the chrome had been cleaned up afew weeks ago. it still needs new bearings for the head to. ive decided to rid of these forks because the headtube is dented and i cant get the neck of the bars down to where i want it. so ill see if my lkbs has a take off pair from an old roadie.
what did realize today, was that this bike was going to be comfortable. im 6' 1" and 160 pounds, im not small, and neither are any of my bikes. theyre long usually, but just not. . . theyre not for a guy like me. so ive decided on a goose neck seat post as well. rims got trued, and im trying to decide on what to do with the tires. pedals are also done, theyre just generic bmx style ones.
003.jpg

sexy. im thinking of having the bars cut just a hair, and putting white grips on the, possibly. maybe just wrapping the grips on insted of having to find actual ones.

Re: j.c. higgins "Grimace" coming together ish

TommyTwoTime said:
Hey, I called progressive security and they're looking for their sign. :mrgreen:
well dont hang up the phone cause theres afew more that are missing! hahaha
-elrod fence company
-accent fence company
-socal temporary fence
-edison
-farmers group of southern california
-afew government signs
-vons
-guardian temp
-valley cities
-alpha
-el tapatio
-southern construction
-oc fair grounds
-so cal fair grounds
-scrap of riverside
and some abandoned houses

honestly i get them all legaly. we do fences for a living, and when we tear out chainlink or temp we have to get them off to reuse the wire or scrap it.

Re: j.c. higgins "Grimace" coming together ish

003-9.jpg

005.jpg

007-2.jpg

008-5.jpg

010-4.jpg

015.jpg

they got taken appart and rebuilt. and then again after this because as you may have noticed they had no bearings at the moment. well now they do :mrgreen:
013.jpg

oh hey there!
012-4.jpg

and a little inglorious plug for our fence bizz :roll:
these pedals are actually very easy on the feet. i was sitting on the bike with no shoes on, and thought "dang!! these are comfortable even without shoes!"

Re: j.c. higgins "Grimace" showing its brighter side

Looks great Snydur :p

thanks! im thinking about trying my hand at truing them tonight :| i will need alot of luck hahah

snydur said:
thanks! im thinking about trying my hand at truing them tonight :| i will need alot of luck hahah
Then GOOD LUCK :D

ever have a day where you cant find your bag of small chain rings? hahah. front rim is tured by my standards, but ill still take it to my bike guy and have him look.

019.jpg

its those little ghetto details that count

last one for today.
022-2.jpg

oh theres the sprocket but what what is on it you ask?!!?!?! a chain!!! ohhh! and what might that chain e attached to?!well how bout i show you friend!!
024.jpg

BAAAAM!!!! mind blown! that chain be attached to this here sprocket and now we need some man power!!
017-4.jpg

bammm! its out in the sunlight now!! haha!
021-1.jpg

and whose waste do you ponder that is?! yours truley!! this bizznitch is gunna be comfortable and light and have a horrible sprocket ratio but ill be going fast.
speaking of which, i know you guys are dying to know if this thing is rideable. well im here to say that it .... well is. i rode it. no tires or shoes on, i rode it out of my room, down the hallway, into my parents room, used the brakes!!!!! turned back around and prepared myself for the EPIC JOURNEY!!!! back to my room!!!!! (deep voice there)

and if your wondering as to why im so excited?!?!?! well heres why buddy!! i got a job interview tommorow!! whoop whoop!!!!

Re: j.c. higgins "Grimace" lot done today

GREAT IDEA ON THOSE PEDALS. ANOTHER ONE I'M GONNA HAVE TO STEAL :mrgreen: NICE BIKE ALSO...GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

Re: j.c. higgins "Grimace" lot done today

002-10.jpg

no that isnt an old picture. that is today (an hour ago or so) everything got removed and polished again before it goes on again. jipper. what is different in this picture is the rims. whats different? i trued them, and theyre perfect . took them to a shop and they said they were pretty much dead on. awesome.
003-13.jpg

also, this happened, there was a hole that i filled in with a screw before. . well i decided to do it right, nice prease fitting and i called it a day

Back