Led-Sled Sidecar Project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok! I had to make a separate post on this just for Gdcast....... He has been asking me to add something for a while now but having to do a hundred other things first I am finally at the point of adding a (????) :?:

All though it is not completed I am off to a good start and I like the way the (????) is coming together. For each side of the (????) I used 2 pieces of 3 / 4 inch poplar wood and added a 7 / 8 inch piece to give it the right thickness for the bike. After cutting, gluing and clamping them together overnight I started sanding. I have one side sanded and hope to have the other side of the (????) done very soon so I can post more pictures of it installed and painted.

So for now........ Gdcast I hope you enjoy buddy!! Tada...........A Tank!!!!!!! :D :lol: :lol:

PICT0032-2.jpg

PICT0033-1.jpg

PICT0037.jpg

PICT0039.jpg

PICT0041-1.jpg

PICT0056.jpg

(????) YEAH!! That´s exactly what I was hoping for!
I really think it will complete the look of this perfect combo.
Oh boy, now I want to see how it looks like finished, and what we will learn in the process. :wink:

Hey Gdcast!! Something told me that you would like this part! :wink: I agree with you, I think the tank will continue the flow and bring the bike and sidecar together. I just hope that you like the end result. :D

Later HL

After sanding down the inside half (sidecar side) of the tank and getting the look that I wanted I took the opposing unfinished side and drilled three pilot holes so that I could screw both sides of the tank together. Using the finished tank side to sand down the opposite side saved me a bunch of fitting time. After everything fit well I counter sank the screw holes with a 1/2 inch drill bit to make way for the wood plugs that I will need after both tanks are screwed together on the bike. With the plugs sanded and some more finished paint hopefully you wont know that it is a wood tank. :wink: but then again why not! 8)

Later HL

PICT0039-1.jpg

PICT0044.jpg

PICT0065.jpg

PICT0075.jpg

PICT0083-1.jpg

PICT0045.jpg

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Wow!! Amazing result!!!
Looks pro, you and Galt should get together for a Bike Building Camp, so we all can learn neat stuff like this!

very cool wooden tank i like it alot... I think you should dark stain to match the grips & seat, then clear coat it. perhaps spar varnish

incase you don't already know this, for not much more than the cost of the box of plugs you can buy a plug cutter, I find the tapered ones to be the best you get a sung fit with no gaps. This way you can cut your own plug to match the species & colour of wood. Another nice trick is to turn the plug so the grain is lined up, this way they really disappear.

Thanks Gdcast!!! I’m glad that you are liking the way the (????) is coming along. :lol: :lol: I would love nothing more than to just meet the one and only Galtbachen in person, let alone set in his Bike Building Camp (as a student) It would be the first time that I would want to set in the front of the class!! 8)

Hey Greedy Glutton!! Really happy you like the wooden tank, and I hope you will like were I take it
because I soooo wanted to do something like that and I even thought of wrapping it with the pleather to
bring the seat and grips all together. Great point on the plug cutter! A man that likes to buy tools!!!!

Deorman. Hey buddy!! If I wasn’t so deep into this build I would love to do nothing more than a fake metal look on the tank. However you just gave me a great idea for my wife’s bike! Thanks!!! :D

Here is a sneak peek!! :D

Later HL

PICT0017-2.jpg

Just how I´d imagined it would be!! :D
HL, you´re so close to bike perfection that I´m starting to get scared!!!

Thanks Gdcast, I’m not sure if you need to be scared however. :lol:

Hey FOUND OBJECTS I’m really glad that you like it Thanks!!

Dr. Sizzle, thank you for the kind words and yes it has gone on for a long time and I hope to wrap it up soon! :oops:

Finally, no rain today so I was able to take a few pictures outside of the tank installed. Hopefully you can kind of get an idea of how fat the tank is. Just need to put a little glue on the plugs and finish the other side tonight. Tomorrow I’m headed back to my favorite place...... the motorcycle salvage yard to see if I can find some stuff to accessorize!! :shock: Just want to add a few little things so that I can call this done!!

Later, HL

PICT0005-4.jpg

PICT0014-3.jpg

PICT0016-1.jpg

PICT0017-3.jpg

PICT0021-1.jpg

The only thing missing there is my self, riding it!!! :D
Number One build of the year in my opinion so far, not only loving the tank, but the overall look of the combo. The windshield on the sled reminds me of a WWII fighter plane, leather grips and seat, that marvellous head light, what can I say... if were near there, I would marry the bike!!! :D :D :D

[quote="Gdcast" if were near there, I would marry the bike!!! :D :D :D[/quote]

I got to touch it cause I live down the street. :D

That’s Funny!! youthgeye that sure is a long way to travel for just 5 minutes! :shock:

screw_dub Thanks Buddy!! Maybe I’ll run In to you someday! Planning on heading your way in the next year or so. :D

socal_jack Thank you very much!

Gdcast Thanks Man!! You know that you are welcome anytime.... Just not sure about the whole bike marriage thing? :lol: :lol:

Legburner I’ll deal with you later!! :shock:

Finished up the other side of the tank last night. Went to the motorcycle salvage yard today and found a really sweet brake lever and some lights for only $10 8) When I got home I took the lever apart to start polishing it and it still had the assembly grease inside. My guess is that it was a take off part. I will be fabricating a disc brake sometime soon but that will be another topic. I had an idea on the tank using a water bottle lid? Not sure if I will run with it or not. Maybe I should run it by Gdcast first. :lol:

Larter HL

PICT0001-6.jpg

PICT0018-2.jpg

PICT0007-4.jpg

PICT0021-2.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

man that is sick i might just have to make me one

Latest posts

Back