"MotoDromo Special" FINISHED!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the feedback guys! It seems like the overwhelming consensus is no on the sissy bar:( I still might make it just because I want to fab a new pointy bit lol, and I'll only mount it when you guys aren't looking ;)

Mount it!:D it seems you really like it and its your bike right? We only see it now, you see it everyday;)

Customize!

Mount it!:D it seems you really like it and its your bike right? We only see it now, you see it everyday;)

Customize!
Thanks Frank! Yea I do really like it and Im gonna go ahead and make it work:p I just didn't expect so many people to vote no:(
tumblr_n244awKRoE1t0p6xyo1_1280.png

gypsy4.png

ChopCult_2013_0425_TheLocust_0043.jpg

Hey RatRodBikers, lots of pics today. I decided to do the sissy bar anyway. Heres two pics with it in the position I want, same level as the seat and bars, and laid back like the seatube and forks.

what does that same short sissy bar look like sticking straight back from the axle?.

Not sure if I like it, but now you're making me think about wheelie bars!!o_O:grin:

Maybe you could use something like it horizontally under the seat pointing backwards? It works in my head anyway :-/

Durp! I forgot you said horizontally. Still it kind of gets hidden under the seat.

Ok so I made a new sissy bar point, and I said I would take pics of the process so here they are. First I cut some 3/4 bar CAREFULLY.

Then some flat filing to make sure both sides are perfectly flat. A better fit makes a better weld;)

Tack weld and alignment looks good.

Slow stacked tacks to prevent warpage.

Less than a minute of grinding. You want to be very careful not to grind too much.

5 min with a good flat file.

Another 5 for the other side. ( and 10 more for the underside)

Then using a half round, and a few rounds files I carefully did the inside.

If you smooth everything out with a few different grits of sandpaper afterwards, you can polish it up like this.:cool2:

Im going to make some brackets so I can remove the sissybar, also I think ill try and polish the whole sissybar. If I decide to paint the bike I think it will look cool.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
I want to change my vote! I really like the way it looks sticking straight out towards the rear. with a fender on it it'll look awesome and the pointy piece on the front ties it all together!

Thanks for the step by step. very cool build.
Thanks Moisstink! Ill keep them coming:grin:

I am loving that pointed piece above the light!

Luke.
Thanks Luke! I was placing the new pointy bit around the bike to see where it could look cool, and I really liked how it looked there too. I just might weld them ono_O
I dig this bike!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Jake!:rockout:

I want to change my vote! I really like the way it looks sticking straight out towards the rear. with a fender on it it'll look awesome and the pointy piece on the front ties it all together!
Interesting Idea, thanks Kemmer. Im definitely going to go fenderless on this bike tho. And Im pretty set on the sissy bar now so...:grin: Cool Idea for a older fendered bike tho.

I got a little teaser today. After placing the new pointy bit around the bike to see where it would look cool I found a sweet spot, but the bar was too narrow. So I made another pointy bit:grin:, this time out of a chrome seat post.

I think this could be really cool. Ill extend the ends to have the point a little closer to the wheel.

What do you guys think? Most likely Ill redo it to have the same angle as the chain stay and seat tube.

Thanks for looking!

Oh yeah!! That idea is a keeper, but like you said at the same angle as the seattube and chainstays.

I got a little teaser today. After placing the new pointy bit around the bike to see where it would look cool I found a sweet spot, but the bar was too narrow. So I made another pointy bit:grin:, this time out of a chrome seat post.

I think this could be really cool. Ill extend the ends to have the point a little closer to the wheel.

What do you guys think? Most likely Ill redo it to have the same angle as the chain stay and seat tube.

Thanks for looking!
Liking that! Looks mean!

Luke.

I officially withdraw everything I said re the sissy bar! Go with it straight up parallel to the seat tube, looks way way cool. Love the frame and lamp pointies too! :)

I officially withdraw everything I said re the sissy bar! Go with it straight up parallel to the seat tube, looks way way cool. Love the frame and lamp pointies too! :)

Haha awesome, thanks! Im glad I stuck with the sissy bar... at the right angle its gonna look sick:grin:

http://s934.photobucket.com/user/jrubenstein42/media/MDCSpecial10-1.jpg.html
I like the sissy bar a lot. Seems to add some continuity to the over all bike. Do you ever read The Horse Back Street Choppers magazine?
Thanks LowpowerD! I havn't looked at The Horse very much, if I do get a bike mag its usually CycleSource, other than that I troll The Backstreet Bucket and Bikeexif blogs weekly. The Backstreet Bucket has particularly awesome bikes, and that guy has some maaaad skills painting helmets and gas tanks...
unnamed.tiff

DSC_0028.JPG

Hey guys, Ive been really busy last couple of weeks at work so no time to build:20: Finally had some time today to bring the bike back out and get a bit of work done. I remade a bigger point for the bottom of the bike and made sure it aligned with the chain stay and the seat tube. I like how it has a downward rake.

Tacked up and looking straight, It really adds depth to the frame I think.

Welded, not the cleanest but good enough.

Very happy with how it turned out, it was looking a little unbalanced without it.:grin:

More progress tomorrow, I'm finally going to work on the sissy bar...
Thanks for looking!

Latest posts

Back