"MotoDromo Special" FINISHED!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even though you thought the little triangle under the seat was hidden from a distance it would be seen and might add an additional balance to the look.
I also think once a rear fender is added to connect frame and sissy bar it would cool. Growing up in the 70's with my own subscription to Chopper magazine I am use to seeing those types of sissy bars so it looks normal to me.

Yeah, that is cool. Takes it to a different level for sure.
Thanks Moisstink! I think it beefs up the look by filling the gap.

Even though you thought the little triangle under the seat was hidden from a distance it would be seen and might add an additional balance to the look.
I also think once a rear fender is added to connect frame and sissy bar it would cool. Growing up in the 70's with my own subscription to Chopper magazine I am use to seeing those types of sissy bars so it looks normal to me.
Thanks g-ratter, I see what you're sayin about the seat triangle, but I think im going to keep the rest of the bike with clean lines. Also no fender, but I'm glad you like the sissy bar:grin:

So I keep getting distracted and not doing the sissy bar. I guess its ok tho because I know what I want to do with it, and doing random on the spot inspiration things add more character to the bike.
On the way to work today I saw a sweet 32 coupe with tons of louvers on the hood, roof and trunklid. So I felt like trying to make louvers and maybe make a pair of louvered panels for the bottom triangle. First I cut a pair of triangles out of some 22g welding steel from home depot, then I chiseled out a rough louver shape in a chunk of wood. Hardwood would have been better but this was all I had laying around.

Then I made some slits with a cut off wheel and used a small ball peen hammer to knock out the rough shape.

I have an old bumper end that has some nice curves for planishing, so I put it in the vice and smoothed it with a small planishing hammer. I could probably spend an hour smoothing it to perfection, but this is a Rat Rod Bike so 15 min per louver is good enough:grin:

Now I just have to figure out how to mount them. I kind of would like to be able to remove them, otherwise I would just tack the corners.

Oh! I almost forgot, I got new tires today:dance2: some sticky icky Thick Slicks. Although I was starting to like the whitewall mock-up tires I think these are perfect if I do say so myself;)

I was always going to make a tank for this bike but I didnt know what details I wanted on it, now Im pretty sure it will have at least a few louvers...

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Very cool progress with the louvers and the thick slicks are a nice touch. I would have never seen this direction in the beginning of the build and man it is tight!

Love the shape of this bike...
Thanks Funkme!

Very cool progress with the louvers and the thick slicks are a nice touch. I would have never seen this direction in the beginning of the build and man it is tight!
Thanks Moisstink! I had no clue the bike would turn out like this either:grin: I just started chopping and thiis is what came out of it...

The louvre panels are awesome! I am not sure you even need a tank now!

Luke.
Thanks Luke! Seeing the louvers just makes me want to build a tank even more tho;)

Holy crap! You made your own louvers! Why didn't I think of that? I've spent big bucks to have someone punch louvers for a hot rod. That is very cool!!

Love the louvers and that you shared how you made them. I remember a few other guys doing them in a similar fashion over the years. I know they are in the build threads, but I don't remember if anyone ever put the process in the How To section. You may want to do that for future reference.

Looking sweet!!

I think I agree here. maybe rig up some louvered deals for the back stays also?

I was thinking the same thing about the back stays... I definitely want to do the tank tho so Im going to do that first with louvers and then see if I need more. You can never have too many louvers so Ill probably wind up making the back stay panel anyway.:grin:

Holy crap! You made your own louvers! Why didn't I think of that? I've spent big bucks to have someone punch louvers for a hot rod. That is very cool!!

Thanks Bike Bum! I figured it was the easiest way to make some rough louvers without a die press. For the record they are not uniform to each other at all and If I had my dream 32 I wouldnt make the louvers myself either;) For a Rat Rod bike tho, its quick and easy:grin:

Love the louvers and that you shared how you made them. I remember a few other guys doing them in a similar fashion over the years. I know they are in the build threads, but I don't remember if anyone ever put the process in the How To section. You may want to do that for future reference.

Looking sweet!!

Thanks Kingfish! Ive been detailing every process of my build in this thread so far mostly because its the first time Ive done any of this:grin: But I'm more than willing to post my louver process in the How To section :thumbsup:

Hey Rat Rodders, I finally got to the sissy bar today:happy: Im using the old seat stays that I cut off the bike which has a cracked brake mount tab (or whatever that connecting piece is called) so I decided to make a new curved one from some leftover tube from the fork trusses. Also still using the pointy bit for the top.

Took a torch to the bar to make a bend, I kinda flat spotted two bits, but its a Rat Rod Bike so who cares:grin:

After cutting down the point, and getting the right angle for the sissy bar I tacked the point to the top and removed the old tab.

Then I cut the new connector with a bandsaw and hand filed the coping.

Slowly layered tacks to prevent warpage.

After a bit of grinding and a lot of hand filing I got one side starting to look good. Ill finish the rest tomorrow, and im not sure if im going to smooth the connector welds.

And here's a pair of teasers of how it will look on the bike:grin:

Thanks for looking!

Hey Rat Rodders, I finally got to the sissy bar today:happy: Im using the old seat stays that I cut off the bike which has a cracked brake mount tab (or whatever that connecting piece is called) so I decided to make a new curved one from some leftover tube from the fork trusses. Also still using the pointy bit for the top.

Took a torch to the bar to make a bend, I kinda flat spotted two bits, but its a Rat Rod Bike so who cares:grin:

After cutting down the point, and getting the right angle for the sissy bar I tacked the point to the top and removed the old tab.

Then I cut the new connector with a bandsaw and hand filed the coping.

Slowly layered tacks to prevent warpage.

After a bit of grinding and a lot of hand filing I got one side starting to look good. Ill finish the rest tomorrow, and im not sure if im going to smooth the connector welds.

And here's a pair of teasers of how it will look on the bike:grin:

Thanks for looking!

Dam. I any interest in making one of these for my bike? ;)
That thing is freakin schweet!

Don't slip off the back of the seat! :blackeye:

Looking good!

Luke.
HAHA, yea Im gonna have to be careful around bumps:eek:

Dam. I any interest in making one of these for my bike? ;)
That thing is freakin schweet!
Thanks Baldwooky! I have to admit it turned out better than I expected... I guess if you're serious PM me, I should be able to make another one for ya;)

I like the thug look of this build, just looks tough!!
Thanks GSC! Ive been building this bike just for fun, but I guess my idea was to build a bicycle that would be accepted at Born Free 6.:grin: I like a more purpose built look.

Finally finished the sissy bar!:banana:Its a little rough, but Im not going for perfection as it would take two or three times as long. Also I was thinking about polishing the whole sissy bar but again that would take at least a day of sanding and polishing soooo thats not happening anymore:grin: Instead I brushed the sissy bar with some scotchbrite, I think it looks better this way with more of a raw look.

I figured at this point it was time to take the bike outside for the first time and take some pics.

I already have a crank and sprocket, so tomorrow Im going to buy some bottom bracket hardware, some pedals and a chain:grin: Then she should be ready to ride! But fret not, I still have a few ideas up my sleeve.
Thanks for looking!

Back