"Nuke" Pics Air Ride IFS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: "Nuke"

cman said:
I like the alot of the concepts on this bike. The one I don't know about is the steering. With no height and all rake, steering while rolling maybe difficult.

:lol: :lol: that's his middle name!! :lol: :lol:

Re: "Nuke"

Whos middle name? What middle name? What did I miss? I'm so tired and confused. Could somebody clue me in? It's 11:30pm and I can't get up! I just finished in the lab. I'll log in tomorrow morning and give a progress report on what I got done tonight.

Re: Zero Rake "Nuke"

Here's the skinny from last night. Bottom bracket and crank in. Idler crank with old skateboard wheel in. Rear idler fabbed and in. Piston gooseneck in. Drive chain on. Still a lot more to go before ridable. See if you guys can anticipate my next move, what's going to happen and how everything is going to come together. Handle bars? Crank idler loading? Seat position? It looks like Zero Rake "Nuke" will be ridable and at Karfers live in color this Sunday.
NukeBuildPhaseV001.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseV002.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseV005.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseV004.jpg

this bike is so impressive from a mechanical perspective. and i thought the carb setup on my bike was a complicated beast to make work right. wow i really like the way there are chains running all over the place. one thing i notice is how the chain which controlls the steering comes into the gear at a bit of an angle. that chain line might cause the chain to not go onto the gear smoothly when it is bouncing around. all i can say is wow amazing bike and keep it up cant wait to see it. sensor said he was going to try and get his done enough to bring it to the show as well.

Oooo! wild, man, wild! so, you'll be sitting "in" your handle bars, right? if you loaded some huge apes in that neck and tilted them foward, they should come right up to straight arm level. (i think)
anyways, i can't wait to see you cruise this think @ Karfer's place :mrgreen:

Just finished and shut down the lab for tonight. Pics are from this evening and bring a different view of Nuke. It almost like Nuke's gettin ready for a scary creepy Halloween. Enjoy the views and if you would like a detail shot of something special in better daylight let me know. I almost forgot, see if you can find the pumpkin!
NukeBuildPhaseVI002.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseVI003.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseVI004.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseVI005.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseVI006.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseVI007.jpg
I think I will take a break from posting pics maybe until after Karfers. Unless I get any requests. Thanks for all the support and feedback. I'm having a ball with this build and I hope you guys are having fun watching.

WOW this thing is AMAZING.... Please tell me you will have it at the ASYLUM on sat.. must have been a super busy week, last sat it was a front wheel and legs..Oh by the way this is Brian..

looking very cool, i would say "bag it" its screeming for one with that joint!!! nice job.

Dialed in the drive chain and worked all the bugs out of the idlers. Works great, hard to believe it's as smooth as it is. Mounted the shock coil over and that also works great, if you weight 5 pounds! That dude drops to the floor just sitting on it. I tried an air shock from one of my old gold wings and pumped it up to the max, but still too much sag. I agree with jon, this thing is screeming to be bagged, if I can find something that will work. I'm going to start looking on bicycle low rider websites and see what king of equipment is out there. I really want the setup to be very compact so I can hide most of it. Any of you that feel like throwing your two cents in have at it. I've got it strutted hardtail for now. Last major hurdle is the bars. I'll fab up some bars sat and take it for it's first shakedown run up and down the block. Hopefully no roadrash to show off on sunday. I sat on it and rolled it back and forth in the lab and I think it will actually be ridable. My first real feeling of confidence that I may have pulled this off. Rat Bike Rodeo here we come!!!

This thing is looking great. Looks like it belongs on the flats breaking records. Suggestion on the spring: Automotive spring or something from a piece of farm equipment. Seems like something automotive wouldn't have as much give. I bet you could get something at a junk yard without blowing a hole in the wallet.

Look on ebay for Honda Coilovers. I know it sounds weird but they are really really stiff. And its honda so you can pick up a set of four for 25 bucks for no name ones. I have them on my car and trust me on the stiffness. :roll:

Kuttnhack said:
Any of you that feel like throwing your two cents in have at it.

You need to move the placement of the lower bracket for the spring farther back away from the swing arm pivot point.

spring_pivot.jpg

There is too much leverage happening the way it is this is why your suspension is super soft. The closer the shock is mounted to the pivot point the easier it will compress. Get it back as far as you can towards the rear wheel you have lil extra space there it will make a big difference.

Very creative bike anywayz mate top job

KiM

p.s blowed if i could find the pumpkin either LoL

saw it up close and it is insane. the engenering in this bike is mind boggling and if thats your thing this is your bike. amazing work keep it up

One full week since Karfers Rat Bike Rodeo in Galt. What an awesome time! Broke a bike or two, couple of wipeouts, a little road rash, had a blast. My scabs have almost all fallen off, but the baseball size bruse on my left bicep is just starting to yellow. Tried to ride Nuke at the rodeo with two guys balancing and pushing me to get up to balance speed but to no avail! The leading edge of the front tire wants to go wherever it wants. Totally uncontrollable and no way to balance without any rake. Okay all of you I told you so's, I get it. But I had to try. I modified the front fork to two wheels to try to get some control and maybe have a ride. Success!!! I was able to take a ride on my street and as long as I stay fairly straight I can get going pretty good. I wanted to try to keep the front wheels as narrow as I thought I could get away with and still have some stability. As soon as I try to turn too sharp the inside wheel wants to lift. I can see what's happening, as soon as the contact point of the outside tire gets close to or over the center line on the contact point of the rear wheel she wants to fall in that direction. Simple physics for you smart guys I'm sure. For those like me with less education or blew off algebra and geometery in high school, I am now feeling the pain. Looking back I thought "what will I ever use this stuff for". Now I know!!! For you young bloods stay in school and study. Enough said.

After a few putts up and down the street and looking at the dynamics of the bike I think I am going to extent the front spindles outward a bit and try to get that center line offset some more. I would like to be able to corner at a decent rate and not C and B (crash and burn). Here's some new pics of my current progress.

I'm going to shoot for the San Francisco Bike Expo on Nov. 21 as my next deadline to work out my existing bugs and detail some items. Wish me luck.
NukeBuildPhaseVII007.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseVII006.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseVII005.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseVII004.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseVII003.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseVII002.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseVII001.jpg
And again thanks to Adam and family and all who attended the Rodeo and all who support this fun hobby.

Latest posts

Back