"Nuke" Pics Air Ride IFS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Zero Rake "Nuke" New Pics 11/1/09

Stopped by Rods R Us today in Carmichael, CA and talked to Paul about getting some type of discarded or used coilover from a hot rod. He showed me a pair that has about a 250lb rating that the owner may want to sell, hopefully really cheap as there is a valving problem in one of them. This will solve my swingarm problem and get me closer to completion. Can't wait to get R done.

Also a big thanks to Mike at Vintage Bike Supply for the help and parts for the fabbed up front spindles for Nuke. Mike had an old trike rear axle assembly with the axle shaft the exact diameter as the hubs he got me. I did have to strip it to get the axle out. Someone had welded in the set screw that secures the center drive gear to the keyed axle shaft. Spent some time soaking the hubs and the shaft and bearings to loosen it all up. I was able to eventually get the axle moving in the bearings with some light blows from a big ballpean. Had to cut the axle in two and walk them out of the housing, success. Cut the welded drive gear into three pie shaped sections with a cutoff wheel almost to the shaft and chistled the pieces off without any damage to the axle. Keep checking, I'm getting close.

Kuttnhack said:
This will solve my swingarm problem and get me closer to completion. Can't wait to get R done.

Moving your shock angle as i showed in the diagram would also solve it i believe and you wouldnt need a new spring, would be worth a shot anywayz?

KiM

Hi Kim, I really looked at that option but the brackets are at the end of both the swing arm and the seat post, leaving no room with the existing design. I can't visualize how I would change the angle and keep the swing arm in it's current design without adding additional material. Your experience is a great asset to this site and I think I can speak for all that we enjoy your input. The drawings are always a great help. Thanks.

try adding some camber to the wheels, it might help with stability. it will keep them close together, but will bring the bottom more outwards, creating the stability of something like table legs. im guessing maybe about 5-10 degrees of camber.

Be very cool if you could design a tilting mechanism for the front two wheels THAT would be flash! No idea HOW to
do it myself i struggled with several design ideas for a tilting trike but abandoned it... Best of luck with the suspension too mate hope it works out for you with heavier spring :)

KiM

dude
that trike is nuts , i totally digg the holes on the frame and the steering is insane

why not put a smaller diameter spring inside the outer larger spring to increase spring rate or double coilovers?

shock and awe come to mind. glad to see you made it a bit more manage able since the rodeo (and thanks for the kind words). i was watching you out there when the boys were trying to push u and it well......did not end up well. arn't you glad i picked up the horse poo? anyways cant wait to see this sucker at the sf show now u know what it needs are some pinstripes hmmmmmmmmmmm but thats just me

Re: Zero Rake "Nuke" Coilover Pics

Just wrapped it up for today. Great score on a set of coilovers from Paul at Rods R Us. Fabbed up the mounts and put it in. The swing arm pitches up with no load. I'm 220 and she levels right out with my weight. Nice suspension, not too soft. Stretched the front fork outriggers 12 more inches, big difference. Eveything starting to come together. I rode it today for about 20 minutes to pick out areas of attention, and yeah I have to deal with some small details. For an ol fart in his 50's, I feel like a teenager again when ever I'm a ridin. The true fountain of youth! Thanks again to all who have givin props and input. It really makes a fella proud.
NukeBuildPhaseIIX001.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseIIX005.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseIIX004.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseIIX003.jpg
NukeBuildPhaseIIX002.jpg
And yes Adam, I would like you to stripe this bad boy. I'm thinking by Autorama in Feb.

That is nutz mate!! truly magnificent indeed...

If you experience an under steer probs at faster speeds? a lil camber on the front wheels might help? just a thought... I love it
man think i will have to go a tadpole my next trike along similar lines to this i like the higher up seat height....

KiM

KNAAAAAAaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrllllllll---eeeeeeeeeeeeeee buddy :mrgreen:

oh man, i can't wait to ride it! you've done it again dude! great job! and it's already your favorite color :wink:

now you can lend me a hand on my build (we'll talk @ the swap meet)

nice work!!

i think this is one of the bikes to beat

kuttnhack
your trike looks awesome
it must ride awesome too with the suspension working properly
sick build

Really like the looks! Kinda extraterestrial. That front view is the moneyshot! The shock is a nice touch, both in comfort and looks.
Thanks,
Chainy

Wow Ray you out did yourself on this wish i could ride it now that it will hold up us big boys.. pure GENIUS wish iwas gonna be at ASYLUM to see it..

Thanks Brian, Hope all is kool in your new digs and employment. Maybe you'll be shootin some Roth flake or maybe HOK. Best Wishes.

Re: Zero Rake "Nuke" Asylum Pics

Been ridin Nuke for a week or so and had it at a weekly group get together called Asylum. One of the test riders was 360 and no structual failures thank God. We would of been peeling him off the pavement. The new outriggers are just tacked and I was a little concerned.

The next faze will be to remove the outriggers and drill the holes. Fab and paint the nuclear rods and brackets for the rear tubes and the front. I may try to add another idler and re-engineer the existing one to pick up slack on the return.

Oh no, a brainstorm! Yeah, I am going to put pivots on the outriggers when I slice em off and build shock towers. That's what I'm thinking... Independent front suspension. Okay the irons in the fire and the clock is ticking. Tic toc, tic toc, tic toc.
Asylum006.jpg
Asylum005.jpg
Asylum002.jpg
This is a handmade trophy for a Christmas raffle. Different!

Re: "Nuke" Pics B 4 IFS

Had a blast today at Vintage Bike Supply swap meet. Mike put on a great bash with alot of bike folks selling and buying. The lot was full almost all day. I was able to get a few new pics of Nuke before surgery today. Spent about six hours in the lab. Removed both the outriggers, drilled the remaining 24 holes, fabbed the rod retainers, cut and painted the two rods needed for the outriggers. I'll have more pics tomorrow of the progress. Looks like I'm on track for SF Bike Expo and the build off deadline. I hope someone else got some shots of the swap to post. I was a little busy doing parking detail and smoozing.
NukeMikes005.jpg
Last shot of solid front forks before Independent Front Suspension.
NukeMikes007.jpg
NukeMikes008.jpg
Lots of chain slack huh? Small detail, I'm working on it!

Dude, that is goin to ba a "MAD MAX" Bomb!
Baggin it wouldnt be to hard, and you could keep it lightweight too. Run a air strut
G_16206G_SW_1.gif
010519a_FULL.jpg

w/a co2 to air it. run some magnesium or flint under the hinge....sparkin baby!
What ever you do to it The concept is the "Bomb"! Love it.

Worked almost all day yesterday and all day today on the IFS. Missed the 2nd sat ride, bummer! Slow progress fabricating up all the suspension parts. I thought I'd blow everything out this weekend but still have to build shock towers and mounts. The outriggers now articulate and it feels kinda weird with the steering and all, all mocked up. Man, I hope that this was not costly waste of time and it will all work out. I layed out the parts I picked up from the trusty local ACE to use today along with the import mountain bike/bmx single pivots I hacked from two junk bikes. Side by side made the junk parts look, well kinda junky. The pipe and the bearings fit real nice along with the 5/8" shoulder bolts as the pivots. Once again the new bicycle shocks with the 750 lb rated spring maxed out are way under sized for this application. Back to trying the motorcycle coilovers. Looks like I will be scrambling after work all week to meet the Sat. deadline for SF Bike Expo.
NukeIFS005.jpg
NukeIFS006.jpg
NukeIFS003.jpg
NukeIFS001.jpg
NukeIFS004.jpg

Latest posts

Back