25% acetic acid vinegar for paint/rust removal?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A long time ago I used imitation house brand Coke a Cola on sale and put a bike seat and small parts in it In a bucket with a lid. It worked very slowly (two months) but eventually took out all the rust from even the deep pits. On several occasions I used horse feed molassis from a farm store in the bucket. This worked at the same speed as the coke but the top of the molasses got a nasty floating pad of mold before it was done. Both contain phosphoric acid, which leaves a coating of iron phosphate, which is a little more resistant to rust so an immediate oil coat is necessary. Now a days for small parts I use a bath in a bucket with Iron Out and Water. Iron Out is used to remove iron stains and is basic rather than acetic. This works pretty well. I follow up with vinegar or CLR, a calcium, lime and rust remover and is acidic. Then I use Ospho, a commercial iron treatment used to coat steel before painting. This also contains phosphoric acid and turns any remaining rust black. Ospho is pretty inexpensive and comes in quarts and gallons. I get mine at the local Ace Hardware and for wiping parts a quart will last years. I used final coat of Gibbs penetrating oil or Penetrol drying oil from Ace. I seldom use Gibbs as it is super expensive and might only be transmission fluid in a pressure can? I like the flower idea as almost no one has places to soak or containers large enough. I have a plastic Jet Sled for hauling firewood and I have vinegar soaked a standard frame and a tandem frame at the same time. I’m going to try the flower on a complete frame. If it works on a whole frame it would be less messy, less expensive, take up less space and I could try it in the winter in our bathroom with large garbage bags to contain it. Sounds like a great idea to me.
Thanks so much for the great info. Ya, the custard (vinegar flour mixture) idea is a game changer for me!
I'm going to check our local Ace hardware (yes we have them here but not always as well stocked) but will probably stick with the vinegar and BLO plan. The BLO here is pretty pricey but maybe Ace has it it cheaper or there is an alternative. My main concern is there is no way to dispose of more hard core chemical products and neighborhood kids play in the lot beside my house where the garbage tip is!
Cheers!

That's a most thorough description of a couple of methods. The Flower? What is that about? I missed it. Maybe mix something with flour to make it stay against the metal? Sorry but I'm old and ADHD doesn't make for good reading comprehension. And I forget more easily. Did I mention I forget things? Edit: A vinegar custard? Be Well, SS.
That's it exactly, making it stick to the frame is the idea. I'm old too but young inside. We gotta stay in the game Short Stuff. :)
Cheers!

Latest posts

Back