A Long Tale - Final Build Update

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
POSSIBLE PART FIND

Hmmm, I got this old 'rechargeable ' light quite a while ago, to put in my online vintage store....never did list it for some reason
27147043534_d117a4d0da_c.jpg

open it up...diodes and a circuit board, and clip on leads that lead to ...what?...Pos Neg leads go to the two posts on outside of case
27684685861_d7ea4959f9_b.jpg

of course, I'm thinkin.....
27148189153_e6bb45e7b0_b.jpg

and.....
27148186093_d1b4e11412_c.jpg

My Questions about this Light. for all of you electrical wizards out there.
Could I just solder up a battery pack...you think? and store in the box enclosure? and connect the existing Pos. and Neg. leads?
Is it 12 Volt light?....it's a G.E. Lamp...but I never did research on this thing...I can't see how it's 'rechargeable'
any thoughts?
27724963466_57953d95c6.jpg

:doh:

Last edited:
My thought?!?! I love it!!

Oh...you mean...how do you make it work?!?! If you can't find the voltage requirement on the bulb, get a new bulb!! Then all you have to do is match the bulb and battery and you're set!! I would personally look at LEDs. Both bulbs and charges would last longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thought?!?! I love it!!

Oh...you mean...how do you make it work?!?! If you can't find the voltage requirement on the bulb, get a new bulb!! Then all you have to do is match the bulb and battery and you're set!! I would personally look at LEDs. Both bulbs and charges would last longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm all ears, thanks Brett.
I've seen where folks have put LED lights in these old lenses..
Not sure how. Do I drill thru the back?
Do you guys use those little LED lights, such as at Harbor Freight?
:)

OK, let's get back to filling in the framework on the Long Tale.
So, we have the two top pieces of angle iron rear deck welded on seat post to back supports.
2' of extended 3/4" pipe chain-stay material makes for quite a 'whipping' motion side to side, also with poor downward strength.
:39:
Stand Back: eye it up, what does it need? First thing is to run a post approx midway between the open rear extended area from the top to a bracket welded between the extended chain stays.

The extended chain-stays are now , in effect, hanging from the top angle irons which are quite stout, they are not supporting the top deck, in effect they are suspended. (think suspension bridge)

That begins to add some noticeable strength to this frame.

27107130584_81c955467b_b.jpg

Next, time to relocate that top tube...yet again
Wanted it to be a 'step through' frame for sure, easier to mount, and easier to hop off of.

This bike doesn't turn on a dime....that is FOR SURE .
And when eventually it's loaded up with cargo, etc. you might regret having a straight top bar, you know, in-case you have to bail out without leavin' the old pork n' beans hangin on the top tube ;)

27719319335_9eb2468c15_b.jpg

Last edited:
Any of those dollar store flashlights should work.

Bike is going together well

Any of those dollar store flashlights should work.

Bike is going together well

Thanks friend. I'm still having trouble uploading to this site..I had 5 pics on that last entry, got the internal server error, then I can't connect to site for a while....so, it's gonna be slow....take care.

Then I ran a couple of tubes from what was the original seat stay...from the bracing I put on them up to the very back of the top Deck Bars.
27783389665_5a265517d2_c.jpg

Now, let's stand back and see what we're looking at:

27685444236_314f92ffb6_b.jpg

Sturdy Frame...it can't fold front to back, and with all of the attachment points, it's strong as it's going to be. :happy:

Last edited:
Yes, it was 'built' in place using the 20" rear tire
The 24" gives it a bit of a downward stance..which I kinda' like...
then I'd like to try a 22" tire... would probably be the best compromise.
Thanks guys
franco

+1. The bike looks more level with the 20 inch rear, I think.
I love it! I've wanted to make myself one for a while. Very nice!

Originally, that's all I wanted to do AdvHog...just make a longbike.

Course, I'm out there today messin' around with a little BMX bike
Why? I don't know, it's part of the 'disease'
Having about 12 old bikes around, you can switch bikes anytime....very convenient when the ADHD is kickin' in hard...
:happy:

Once I knew the bike was riding OK, time to take it apart and shoot some color.
Two coats of sandable primer..wet sanded smooth
Then, hit it with some white. This was the first coat

Actually, I used three white family colors, Ivory White, Heirloom White, and Almond, so it's a bit of a blend, and not real stark white. Of course, it gets nicked up as I continue working on it..but at least it has a good base, I'll shoot it again, lightly wet sand and then probably a clear coat when near the finish line.

27747710392_319e196aeb_b.jpg

Then, we get to put it back together .....again.
Originally, I planned to use the old beat green patina on the original frame, but with all of the changes this bike was through only about 10% of the orig. paint was left, so I'm deciding to go with a white and tan/brown theme.
Once the wood deck on the back , and some tan or brownish panniers are added, I think it will start coming together

Next. The chain

27685418346_22040724f0_b.jpg

Latest posts

Back