Campground Buggy Trike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, I can't believe how far behind I was on this build. That was fun catching up on!
Tons of cool work man. Brilliant use of the stool parts to work as the buggy chassis.
I really hope you can incorporate the Russian lights.
Keep up the cool work! It's always fun watching your building process. Looking sharp!

Man, I can't believe how far behind I was on this build. That was fun catching up on!
Tons of cool work man. Brilliant use of the stool parts to work as the buggy chassis.
I really hope you can incorporate the Russian lights.
Keep up the cool work! It's always fun watching your building process. Looking sharp!
Thanks for the kind words!
Yeah those taillights keep my brain spinnin'. But I think I will come up with a solution as soon as I start the bodywork on the buggy. But that will have to wait until the summer break starts her in Berlin in about two and a half weeks. Then I will have time to work a few days in a row on the trike...

Last edited:
Thought I'd take some daylight pics ..
IMG_20210606_114702114_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210606_114715098_HDR.jpg

No heel clearance, Clarence....
IMG_20210606_125700145_HDR.jpg

Swiss - G, I really like the new look of that trike! Trim and speedy looking. For a trike anyway! :grin:sl

Seriously, it has a very classic look to it, somewhere between a 'highwheeler' and a 'hot rod'. The white wall tires all around are perfect. I like how your pedal and leg fit behind the front profile of the buggy. Maybe your bracing , or front plate of the buggy can be inset a ways, back off the front edge of the buggy body. Just to leave enough room for clearance on your feet and pedals.

RaT oN~!

Swiss - G, I really like the new look of that trike! Trim and speedy looking. For a trike anyway! :grin:sl

Seriously, it has a very classic look to it, somewhere between a 'highwheeler' and a 'hot rod'. The white wall tires all around are perfect. I like how your pedal and leg fit behind the front profile of the buggy. Maybe your bracing , or front plate of the buggy can be inset a ways, back off the front edge of the buggy body. Just to leave enough room for clearance on your feet and pedals.

RaT oN~!
Thank you! That means s lot coming from the Back40!
The front plate of the buggy will run along the stays of the mainframe and the sidewalls will stay the way I set them in the CAD mock-up.

That's it! Perfect way to mount the front section of the buggy. It will be very sturdy mounted off the seat stays. And, in your drawing, it looks like the plan is for both of those cool lights to be mounted in the rear. I think that works better than your front / rear idea that you had drawn a few posts back.

I may have asked this before, but how far out of Berlin is your campground? It's always nice to get a geography lesson from these international RRB BO's. :nod:

That's it! Perfect way to mount the front section of the buggy. It will be very sturdy mounted off the seat stays. And, in your drawing, it looks like the plan is for both of those cool lights to be mounted in the rear. I think that works better than your front / rear idea that you had drawn a few posts back.

I may have asked this before, but how far out of Berlin is your campground? It's always nice to get a geography lesson from these international RRB BO's. :nod:
Actually the Campground is still within the borders of Berlin (Berlin-Kladow to be exact), but when you look at the above picture of me sitting on the trike, the trees on the right edge of the picture are already standing in Brandenburg... :cool:
And until 1989 there was the (in)famous Berlin Wall, where now are standing the trees...

Looks like great positioning in my opinion. I really dig this build!

Actually the Campground is still within the borders of Berlin (Berlin-Kladow to be exact), but when you look at the above picture of me sitting on the trike, the trees on the right edge of the picture are already standing in Brandenburg... :cool:
And until 1989 there was the (in)famous Berlin Wall, where now are standing the trees...
Red pin is my home, blue pin the campground. It's almost one hour by car (depending on traffic), as one has to drive around the Havel/Wannsee. There are two nice lakes in walking/cycling distance to the campground and it really doesn't feel like it still belongs to Berlin. The locals usually call places like this "JWD" which is short for "Janz weit Draussen" it translates as Waaaaay outside... :bigsmile:
Screenshot (91).png

To get an overall feel for the shape and size of the buggy and to eyeball the cost of materials (wood) in particular, I did a rough 3D render in sketchup, based on the pictures I have taken...
Most of it is roughly in scale (Buggy to bike and lights to buggy)
To me it feels as if it might work like this...

SketchUp 01.png
SketchUp 02.png
SketchUp 03.png

Is this Cardboard-Aided Design, or have I really lost the plot? ;)
Naaah, now it's the virtual deal... :crazy:

But I have to say that I like cardboard better, but as the object of desire is a one hour cardrive away, the virtual thing has to do the trick for now.
But be assured, there will come another session of Cardboard Aided Design next time I'm on the campground in about two weeks or so...! :bigboss:

Whooha, that was close! One spot away from "Page 2 Slacker Status"!

But I'm not slackin', I'm learnin'!
(And besides that, the school year here in Berlin is almost over and by next week the grades for the final reports are due, so a lot of schoolwork is going on these days...)

The last few days I was watching a lot of youtube videos to decide what kind of paint job I want to do on the trike. I got my mind set on leaving the main frame and fork as it is and paint the buggy trunk with a fauxtina to make it look like the trike sat outside for ages...
I will probably soon put in an order at Molotow my favourite can supplier...

Hi Swissguy, i have a collection of sketchup bicycle parts. If you need them to get the scale of your design correct in sketchup maybe i can send them somehow.

View attachment 161146
Thanks for the offer, but I'm fine with the precision I got from the pics. The rest of the design and planning of the trunk will be made hands on with cardboard.
But you never known... maybe I'll ask for it later or for another project. In any case it's good to know that also other builders are using SketchUp to draft/plan bikes...

Back