Cut and Thread spokes?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I looked and did not find the post where spokes were cut to needed length and threaded.

I want to cut and thread some spokes.

Where can I find the correct die ? What size ?

Please respond.

Take them to a bike shop. Otherwise, try and find a deal on a Hozan spoke threader on ebay. Spokes need to have a tapered thread, so regular dies don't work.

A couple bucks? You can’t be serious?

I expect our local shops will be a bit higher but this is really good news. I thought it would be a more expensive procedure.

I laced some wheels when I was a kid, but I just tore other old wheels apart until I had spokes that I needed. I never had to go out and buy/thread spokes.

I think it was $15. But they already knew me so no guarantee it wasn't a good guy price

Maybe @OddJob knows if his shop cuts and threads spokes what the going rate is

We get $3 per spoke, cut and threaded to length. The spokes are $1.50 per and the one minute or so that it takes to measure their wheel or a similar spoke, and put it in the machine and turn it, fits with our $100 per hour labor rate.

And you have to make an appointment.
Well it is the Premier bike shop in Clovis.

So I called Rubber Soul, which is the premier bike shop in Fresno other than maybe REI, and they said $1.50 for the spokes but $150 to lace the fat bike wheel because it was a specialty.

Two weeks just to get the spokes. Laced in a day.

We get $3 per spoke, cut and threaded to length. The spokes are $1.50 per and the one minute or so that it takes to measure their wheel or a similar spoke, and put it in the machine and turn it, fits with our $100 per hour labor rate.
When I called these guys I didn’t talk about the quality or gauge of the spokes or any such thing. I just said I had a fat bike wheel.

But quotations on the phone are always subject to very because when they get to the shop and they tell you “oh you didn’t say you have an Almix MC4!”

None of this cost is prohibitory to what I wanna, do but I don’t have the hub yet so it’s all moot.

The going price for a Hozan with one die is about $150 shipped. Anything less than that is a deal.
I got lucky and got one from a bike shop that was going out of business years ago.

Thank's for your replies.
The thing is some where I have a box of lots of stainless spokes saved from dismantling old
wheels.
I do like the sparkle of stainless in the sunshine.
But, they are mostly from 26" wheels, and I am building 20"'
Have nipples too.

While I have heard before that spokes are 'rolled", I saw someone here at RRB posting
a pic of cutting spokes and a hand die with the same kind of handle for small dies
that I have and use.

I just cannot remember which post.

I do want to use the spokes I have, if I can.

PS.
Even at $.70 per that is not cheap.
And then to build 48 spoke wheels, it adds up quick.

We are not much for thrifty bike shops close by here.
The closest shop wants like $ 1.75 per.

When I bought stainless spokes for those blue wheels, now on the RedGoose tandem,
spokes were $ .25 per.

Those wheels, now over 35 years old, are still true and the spokes still shine.

I guess that's part of the trouble with growing old. It's easy to keep living in the past.

I think it was $15. But they already knew me so no guarantee it wasn't a good guy price

Maybe @OddJob knows if his shop cuts and threads spokes what the going rate is
Believe it or not my local bike shop will not cut and thread spokes for because I was building wheels for other people

Even at $.70 per that is not cheap.
And then to build 48 spoke wheels, it adds up quick.
I was referring to DT Swiss Champion spokes and in the spoke realm they are not cheap, but for performance oriented bikes or wheel builds for heavier riders that price is nominal. There are more inexpensive alternatives made in the Far East, which are just fine for bicycles that will not be pushed to the limits by performance or weight.

I do miss the place in Colorado Springs who were selling boxes of 100 OEM DT Champion 2.0 spokes w/nipples for $45. I built a bunch of wheels with them.

I've paid $80 for a 26" rim to be laced and trued to a vintage hub, including new spokes. I thought it was reasonable. I do not like building wheels.

Latest posts

Back