Good From Afar

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I weren't wearing gloves and an apron, there would have been more carnage
tenor (6).gif

So I had to take the guard off to get the inside of the stays. I was hunched over the frame, when the grinder bucked and jumped at me. Did I mention that the switch locks in the on position? Spinning disk smacked both index fingers, blasted through the glove. Then the grinder jumped up into my chest, disk first again somehow, and then down onto my foot before skittering across the driveway. Had to unplug it before it got away. Thankfully all could be repaired with bandaids, no harm to the bike. My wife loves it when I break out the power tools.

you should NEVER touch those rascals with anything less than a two-handed, white-knuckled grip. try to be gentle with them and they'll bite your arm off.

More time with the wire brush and sander. 120 grit, then 220. No worries, folks, I left the grinder unplugged.
IMG_20210712_174251223.jpg
IMG_20210712_174303233.jpg

Shinier than I expected, it looks like a chain link fence post. Missed a few spots too, will have to go back with the wire again
IMG_20210712_174343668.jpg

Also, probably got too aggressive the first time, should have left more so I could soften the edges with sanding. And I mashed the tape with the wheel, think I hit the sticker underneath, we'll have to see what's left later
IMG_20210712_174406334.jpg
IMG_20210712_174417932.jpg

I'm all out of sandpaper.

So I had to take the guard off to get the inside of the stays. I was hunched over the frame, when the grinder bucked and jumped at me. Did I mention that the switch locks in the on position? Spinning disk smacked both index fingers, blasted through the glove. Then the grinder jumped up into my chest, disk first again somehow, and then down onto my foot before skittering across the driveway. Had to unplug it before it got away. Thankfully all could be repaired with bandaids, no harm to the bike. My wife loves it when I break out the power tools.

1626143786031.png

So if that set of Zoom flex bars is going on Daddy Long Legs, then that Nishiki stem is freed up to go on GFA. And I got some whatever touring bars, nos maybe Wald? Says W:580 on the grip, NR-75 on the back with a barely visible half stamped logo
IMG_20210715_132606011.jpg

Took them outta the bag, felt like I was the first to touch them in a year or ten.
IMG_20210715_132755364.jpg
IMG_20210715_132833213.jpg
we'll see what goes where, maybe that flex bar could wind up here until after voting. Does Matti have enough parts for the Imelda Barcos portion of the build?

I can see the finish line, but I don't know if I'm going to get there. I have all the parts to build a bike now, killed my Donkey in order to use the original fork here. Lots of paint to spray, and still waiting for some color to appear on the frame. Been working on that lately, but no pictures except a bare frame hanging from a hook
IMG_20210724_095149616.jpg

I have realized how little time I have left, over the next month, I'll be spending eleven days in the woods, this is going to be tight

Last edited:
I can see the finish line, but I don't know if I'm going to get there. I have all the parts to build a bike now, killed my Donkey in order to use the original fork here. Lots of paint to spray, and still waiting for some color to appear on the frame. Been working on that lately, but no pictures except a bare frame hanging from a hookView attachment 165988
I have realized how little time I have left, over the next month, I'll be spending eleven days in the woods, this is going to be tight
give it the old vinegar spritz?

Latest posts

Back