Good From Afar

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This place is a contender. I like the mossy cedar.
IMG_20210814_074527502.jpg

Other side gets more sun, I guess, so it's more weathered
IMG_20210814_074343683.jpg
IMG_20210814_074407716.jpg
IMG_20210814_074258757.jpg

Once, I brought a couple of girls down here on a date, and we caught a weird guy in the bushes, so fond memories too

Last edited:
I like the rainbow background picture. It's cheery. We can all use cheery now.

Lol I took a hundred pictures on that ride, no one was more than a quarter mile from the river, technically they're ALL river pictures. But are you talking about this one?
IMG_20210814_084729574.jpg

Yeah I have plenty of room
IMG_20210814_084702575.jpg

one pretty picture, but if I put a bare steel bike in front of rock or concrete, I'm worried it will disappear. I think I will have to try the urban environment, dirty alleyways is where this bike and I belong

"I'm choosing this rusty chain because I like the finish, think it will match the patina on the frame thus maintaining integrity of the bike"
Or
"shoot I forgot about a chain. Hopefully I can get this old one back to useable condition"
IMG_20210815_170523373.jpg

Soaked in vinegar solution, scrubbed with a toothbrush, then washed in Dawn. Now it's in a bag, soaking up the chain lube.
Washed what I could get out of the bottom of the Mongoose, but I couldn't get the cups out! Anyone know if Pacific Cycles welds em in or something? Any tips or tricks? Either that, or I'm running bare metal cups with a black bb and headset. Eww

It's fun riding around and seeing what backgrounds work and don't work for any given bike. I like the cedar shingle spots a lot. But there are plenty of cool choices in your town. You can also experiment with what photo angles work (not just left and right, but up and down too).

That red brick museum wall! Photo op spot!
I overlooked that antique brick. The mural is brand new, so I was distracted by the pretty colors. That particular building has been moved a couple of times, the first time being when they built the Seaway here, displacing several small towns in the process. I'm hoping to do another trip for more location scouting and testing different angles (maybe even with THIS BIKE!). I'll remember what you said about angles, including the left side of the bike @kingfish254 . Won't get ignored! Hopefully, I can get the time for it.

After seeing how snug @Dr. Tankenstein got his fenders, I'm having second thoughts about the tire size. Take a look at the gaps.
IMG_20210818_170725288~3.jpg

I know I can get the gap even using washers, but I don't think I can get rid of it with 1.75".
I have a few options, but one of my goals for this one was to avoid using MTB parts as much as possible. So far, only the stem. The vision was a vintage speedster. Should I abandon that plan and break out the knobbies? I have a pair of flame slicks too, maybe 2.25"? Maybe a staggered 1.75/2.25 combo? Would whitewalls from El Ducko work with the black and alloy rims?
IMG_20210814_084729574~2.jpg

I really really need to get this thing together. I've heard mock ups are a thing

Latest posts

Back