hand lever coaster brake?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With a big enough mechanical advantage, hand strength isn't an issue. Just have to get it right.

That ND WD was actuated with a hand lever via cable. How effective they were, I have no idea, but I do suppose they didn't exactly light the industry on fire and I doubt it was an ironclad patent (I shouldn't write that as someone will start a Kickstarter scam with this as a revolutionary "new" weather resistant front brake).

If you had a milling machine you could probably make one from scratch with a hollow axle and either the internal part of the brake anchor or the cone clutch sliding on splines and pushed with a bell-crank and rod like gear changes in an internal planetary geared hub. It would probably have to have a bigger diameter axle and be larger than a regular hub for the pieces to be robust enough to survive.

If you had a milling machine you could probably make one from scratch with a hollow axle and either the internal part of the brake anchor or the cone clutch sliding on splines and pushed with a bell-crank and rod like gear changes in an internal planetary geared hub. It would probably have to have a bigger diameter axle and be larger than a regular hub for the pieces to be robust enough to survive.
If you had those tools wouldn't you just make the mother of all drum brakes using dirtbike brake shoes? :thumbsup:
If I had a mill or a bigger lathe that would be something I would definitely look at building.

Luke.

If you had those tools wouldn't you just make the mother of all drum brakes using dirtbike brake shoes? :thumbsup:
If I had a mill or a bigger lathe that would be something I would definitely look at building.

Luke.
I'd kind of agree with you there. At that point, it would make more sense to find a rear hub from some salvage moped, thread on a new freewheel, and trick out the wedge/lever mechanism. Maybe retrofit to roller-actuation? I mean a coaster brake is just a tiny drum brake when you get down to the guts of it. If you want a lever-actuated coaster, all you're doing is making an undersized drum brake.

Since I saw drag brakes mentioned, there are drag drum/band brakes available to thread on flip-flop hubs, meant for use on tandems to prevent them from gaining too much speed/momentum on long downhills. Usually, they're applied gradually by turning a knob, in my experience.

I'd kind of agree with you there. At that point, it would make more sense to find a rear hub from some salvage moped, thread on a new freewheel, and trick out the wedge/lever mechanism. Maybe retrofit to roller-actuation? I mean a coaster brake is just a tiny drum brake when you get down to the guts of it. If you want a lever-actuated coaster, all you're doing is making an undersized drum brake.

Since I saw drag brakes mentioned, there are drag drum/band brakes available to thread on flip-flop hubs, meant for use on tandems to prevent them from gaining too much speed/momentum on long downhills. Usually, they're applied gradually by turning a knob, in my experience.
I didn't think about these ideas, I have moped hubs and atleast one flip flop hub.
I'll look into the flip flop idea, a moped hub might work well; but would be to big for now.

I remember seeing a coaster brake hub installed on the front wheel in a build thread here. I think it was one of the guys from New Zealand or Australia. Think it was one of the winter build offs or muscle bike. It involved using chain connected to a hand lever.
Might have been a white bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I remember seeing a coaster brake hub installed on the front wheel in a build thread here. I think it was one on the guys from New Zealand or Australia. Think it was one of the winter build offs or muscle bike. It involved using chain connected to a hand lever.

I know the bike you're talking about, but what I want to do is make a drag brake for the rear wheel.
I could use a caliper or disk brake, and mount the lever to the frame. But I was hoping for something else.

I obviously can't build it the way I was thinking, it was a stupid question. But I have the answer now.

Don't mean to belabor this but here's bike I had in mind. I had saved the image but I don't remember who the builder was.
67c511e43caac332e150c38e871f5b79.jpg
04d067af3e8573e6e0222256ba4294ce.jpg

I thought it was a cool idea.

I agree. I wonder where they got a 100mm OLD coaster hub.

Why isn't a rear-mounted, foot-operated coaster going to suffice as a drag brake? At some point, the time and expense of trying to fabricate this l'il impossibility is going to eclipse the purchase price of a dozen drum- or roller-brake rear hubs....

Why isn't a rear-mounted, foot-operated coaster going to suffice as a drag brake? At some point, the time and expense of trying to fabricate this l'il impossibility is going to eclipse the purchase price of a dozen drum- or roller-brake rear hubs....
It's really difficult to explain it. I don't plan on even attempting this until I know in my head how to do it, or atleast how I think I should do it. Maybe it'll never happen.
But impossibility is why most things are invented.

Latest posts

Back