(ORBO) KLUNK THIS! IS FINISHED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I answered a C list ad for some parts bikes. I found a Fuji Flair road bike and lifted the crankset from it.
012.JPG

I only plan on using the 40 tooth chain ring, so I turned the outer ring into a bash guard.
015.JPG

014.JPG

Nice repurpose of the big ring. And, there's enough of a gap so you can still see the chain go round and round....

I got my coaster hub modded today. First I had to find some extra ball bearings. Believe it or not, I found some in this Bendix RB(rust bucket). All bearings needed to be 1/4", so I only needed 1 good bearing (5 more balls).
View attachment 15640
Then I chamfered the shoes. Comparison. I didn't go crazy here.View attachment 15641
Then reassembly. I was able to go from 10 to 13 balls on the inner bearing location, and from 7 to 9 on the outer.
View attachment 15642
View attachment 15643
View attachment 15644
Fin
I took the liberty of moving copies of your hub pictures to the "how to" thread.

Been running mtx-33 rims for years. They're fantastically strong, and they build up very nice. They're basically pretty true, right out the box. You done the right thing, too, getting them from bikewagon. Best prices on Sun-Ringle rims i'e found so far.
Yes, they were the lowest by quite a bit. I found out later that these were a pinned version, not welded but I probably won't be taking this one off too many sweet jumps anyway.

Yeah, i think a lot of the stuff bikewagon sells are "oem" versions of products, most of which will be lower-spec than the aftermarket versions.... they put these kinds of things out to keep complete bikes' bling factor high but wholesale cost low. You see this a lot with suspension forks, too. But, FWIW, I've built some wheels on pinned mtx-33 rims, and they've been holding up awesome.

I bought a set of those from bikewagon a while ago, but I have yet to build a wheel so I haven't done much but think about doing something with them one of these days...

I bought a set of those from bikewagon a while ago, but I have yet to build a wheel so I haven't done much but think about doing something with them one of these days...
I hadn't built any wheels until BOTEN, but this will be my 4th set since. I like these MTX33s because they have a "drop center" look about them.

Not sure what your other wheel-builds have been around, but i think you'll like how these build-up. They are the type of rim that "wants" to come true. (Some cheaper wheels seem to wanna "Fight" the trueness.....)

Sun makes great rims. Good price. I have had xln't luck building wheels with them over the years. Pinned/vs welded is less critical than eyelets IMO, and the 600+ grams makes em tough. Great choice for your build HM!

So I bought a BB conversion kit and bottom bracket a looooong time ago. It was a 68 x 103 size. Had planned to use it on another frame. I thought I had better fit it up and see if it would work. Just needed a little grinding to get the adapter in place. I have clearance on chainring and cranks. Better to be lucky than good.
020.JPG

Crappy pic alert.
021.JPG

024.JPG

Stuck my hub in and ran some chain. Chain line looks OK to me.
026.JPG

I also got the paint stripped from my fork. Decided to mock up the fork/stem/bars. Stuck on the seat also. Final version will have a different post. I kinda like the fork in bare metal, but not sure if I want to try and polish it.
034.JPG

032.JPG

Fork tube was almost the right length. I think I will get a black spacer instead of cutting.
036.JPG

Tried on some grips.
033.JPG

Latest posts

Back