(ORBO) KLUNK THIS! IS FINISHED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might try the spacer under your bottom race. I've done it before, lifts the frame a bit, stance and clearance ;) ya know...I like it bare metal too, maybe a shot of matte or satin clearcoat.

Carl.

It works, I put a 26" bent springer on a 64' Stingray (that's the little frame...) using the 1 1/4 spacer from a Schwinn exerciser bike. I put it under the lower fork race and lifted the frame enough to be able to use a 6" crank with no issues. Didn't cut the fork tube or modify anything. Or...
Put a truss rod bracket on there! Classic Klunker look.

carl

So I did indeed put a truss rod bracket on there. I thought about making a set of truss rods. But then I remembered that this girl's Shelby Traveler has them, so off they came.
008.JPG

009.JPG

I had to thread them a bit more to make up for the head tube difference, but I stuck them on along with a mockup wheelset.
012.JPG

014.JPG

I still need to cut some extra length off of the top of the rods and see if I can attach the lower bracket. I saw in a previous build that someone had used a star nut on the bottom of the steerer tube. Maybe that will work here.
017.JPG

Nothing holding it in place at the moment.

Last edited:
Digging that frame

Got the frame in primer today.
045.JPG

Temperature is going to drop tonight and will be below freezing for the rest of the week. Good timing since I will be working 12 hours every day. I'll at least have time to think about my rattle can paint scheme.
My spokes should be delivered this week, so I will at least be able to build my wheelset

Dan's Comp bailed me out with some spoke nipples. For 6 cents each I am wondering why I bothered to order on line. Anyway, I was able to get my wheels together today. I almost wasn't man enough to get those wire bead Schwalbe tires on the rims.
001 (2).JPG

I also found out the tires were directional depending on whether mounting on front or rear. Guess which one I put on backward.
004 (2).JPG

I bought a Sturmey Archer 20T sprocket in 3/32 width for the Bendix 70. Had to grind off a fair amount of chrome from the ID to get it to fit.
005 (2).JPG

Did some cleanup on my crankset. Just waiting for warmer weather to get some painting done.

Before:
View attachment 17593

After:
View attachment 17594

Also got a star nut installed in the bottom side of the steerer tube so I could install a truss rod bracket.
View attachment 17595
View attachment 17596
Nice move with the star nut! I used a rubber plug on Beer Boy Delivery in BO-10, but that was just for a fender mount. This should be rock solid (pun intended)..:giggle:

Latest posts

Back