ΞTHE✪CLASHΞ

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an old trek 3900 that has at least 50,000 miles on it.

It’s all original but the rear wheel: I replaced the bearings and cassette twice.

I do run high air pressure in my tires.

Last year, ripping over a set of train tracks, I picked up a pretty strong rub on my rear wheel.

After my ride, looking for the rub, I found the rim sidewall had split open.

It was only a 1” crack, but it was done, and the brakes were the only wear on the rim.

Sort of a long story, but in short, yes, you can get that too thin and if you are running air pressure at or near the max, the wheel could blow out with a combo of thinner metal, high air pressure and a big bump!!!
Letting this post sink in…. I don’t think you‘re running air in your tires! Lol!

I’m not sure how the solid tire will impact the wheel…. Probably better than pneumatic. -just be cautious. I’ve split a rim open with brakes (long term wear), bumps and air.

Popped the cups out.
IMG_2817.jpeg

Sanded and buffed.
IMG_3078.jpeg

I love the look of these chunky old 10 speed cranks even though they weigh more than my single speed flyweight but I need to lose the ripples in the arms if this gold experiment is to work.
IMG_3072.jpeg

120 grit Sandpaper not gettin it as fast as I'd like. Barely midway through..
IMG_2883.jpeg

the more I shine the more I find. I can't polish enough to reveal this stamp without losing it entirely but i appreciate these microscopic surprises.
IMG_3094.jpeg

Gold to follow

Last edited:
Sort of a long story, but in short, yes, you can get that too thin and if you are running air pressure at or near the max, the wheel could blow out with a combo of thinner metal, high air pressure and a big bump!!!
Thanks man, that's the scare I needed. My eyesight is fading but the seam looks like a honeycomb with bubbles or pockets of air.

Color tests. Painted cups and seat clamp both gold and purple/red to see which looks better where. That peg doesn't fit my rear axle, looking for a solution.
PegDoesntFitRearAxle.jpeg

Anno atop, gold reflecting steel crown on bottom.
Cups_annoVSbrass.jpeg

All that silver will be some other color but I'm still deciding. Possibly a touch of pink for these stem pieces.
silverBits_needingColor.jpeg

Last edited:
Whimsical distraction during days of sandpaper. Have you ever searched for the same product from a different seller to see a color in a different light? These reflectors had no other vendors but the images seemed to show them both in different lights so I was fine with the color being more purple, more pink or anywhere between.
sellers_img0.jpgsellers_img1.jpg

Lo and behold the reflectors were actually different shades right out the bag!
delivered.jpeg

I ain't hating. In fact I applaud the seller for having such accurate images. Now back to sanding.

Last edited:
Rim mock-up. Needed a break from labor.
AMF_halfDone.png

I'm gonna try to paint the gold layer, clear coat then mask so the tape doesn't peel the color off, add purple, 2K, sand, buff and polish 4 times. Just polishing the rims have consumed a full work day of my free time and I still have one side to go.

Last edited:
The goodies are here but the review is bad.
goodies.jpeg

The cheap china knock-offs were way too hard. Here I'm applying all of my weight and it ain't budging. They don't flex at all which means even if I got them on the rim they'd be too stretched to stay on. No pins, as expected. Surface feels slippery and hard. Would cause more breakage than I already experience from jolts and shock. I'm stayin with Tannus
nahCool.png

Last edited:
maybe soak them in hot water and try putting them on?
They have zero rebound. When stretched, they stay stretched, forever. There are no pins to secure the tires to the rim, as with Tannus, so no matter the method the poor quality plastic will be too loose to stay on. And did I mention hard and slippery? When you unpack Tannus they naturally unfurl from mobius shape to become a circle over the course of a day, where as the hard plastic junk never changes shape. These things are straight dangerous. I can't imagine an application for these adult sized gimmicks that would be accepting of it's features. It's like the one person in China who's never ridden a bicycle decided to make parts.
ProTools.png

The holes serve no purpose other than mimicking the leading brand.
Tannus<--->knock-off
good_vs_bad.jpeg
I would not feel safe on those at high speeds and sharp turns. I have no need to continue trying to put them on. I want my money back. But the two options I'm left with are still luscious.

Last edited:
I wasn't thrilled with my waterproof fabric color options so I cooked up some purple and red Rit Dyes. Now I've got too many decisions.
RitDyes_reds_purples.jpeg

Shaved 4 inches of foam to shape and glued it to the seat to keep it centered when stretching the fabric.
Seat_Cushion.JPG

Think i'm going with this. The red dye almost lightens the purple base.
IMG-3359.JPG

Last edited:
You could also try soaking the tires in water overnight, as they recommend for some bandsaw belts.

... as I read in another post.

Front tire buffed. Weekend of paint! Feeling guilty about not having planned more rat in my rod I gave the fork a fade to show some original paint and tinted it just slightly purple..
IMG_3312.jpeg

Then I scratched at some scabs for just a hint at it's being "built, not bought".
IMG_3313.jpeg
IMG-3355.JPG

Last edited:
You could also try soaking the tires in water overnight, as they recommend for some bandsaw belts.

... as I read in another post.
Yes, a few of us referred to @idiotboy's post. I was hoping he'd put the bandsaw wheel on the front of a bike, but now that I think he's not I'm imagining myself a dangerous BMX. I'm a little surprised nobody has done it. The whole setup looks cool.
615H7irOkXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

..but that's a pipe dream at this point. I got two in the hole behind my build as I just caught word of this sucker floating around for free. Second freebie this month! When it rains it pours..
Collegiate_Camelback.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't see myself doing this again without the proper machinery. Before..
before.jpeg

Hand sanded..
midway.jpeg

Brazen and buffed with a screw gun about as much as I care to anymore. Still pitted, not caring (he told himself while tending to blisters in weird places).
i_Quit.jpeg

Last edited:
First pass at the cranks.
IMG_3385.jpeg
IMG_3390.jpeg

The only way to get anything near gold outta Dupli-color is to dust rather than coat which presents problems when the pressure starts to drop to about half. Less diffusion produces a rougher mist that is easily noticeable. Gonna get a new can and try again. At this point I may as well invest in an airbrush. I just hate cleaning those things.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back