ΞTHE✪CLASHΞ

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First pass at the cranks.
View attachment 234115View attachment 234116
The only way to get anything near gold outta Dupli-color is to dust rather than coat which presents problems when the pressure starts to drop to about half. Less diffusion produces a rougher mist that is easily noticeable. Gonna get a new can and try again. At this point I may as well invest in an airbrush. I just hate cleaning those things.
Glowing!!!!!

Starting to shape up.
lump_of_clay.jpeg

Posing in fur but not part of the final ensemble.

Last edited:
The dreaded natural light tests. Darker gold rims on this side, clashing casually.
IMG_3530.jpeg
IMG_3533.jpeg

I can live with this lighter side. Pedals or crank arms and calipers may get purpled. Temp seat with color swatches. Fiending to ride it! I never had pegs before so this is like my childhood birthday wish come true.

Last edited:
I couldn't find Gold Dupli-color to reorder and realized all this time I'd been referring to a color that didn't exist. Clarification: I've been using the Copper Plate kit. Sorry to mislead ya.
CopperPlateKit.JPG

Bought it so long ago I'd forgotten that the best results I'd seen for gold, was copper, which seems to contain MC205 / MetalCast Orange. Knowing this I hope to water it down with MC202 Yellow for a proper glossy coating.. which means moooore darn testing. The pursuit of gold can drive a man mad!

Last edited:
Gator cooked in red Rit, before on bottom, after on top.
burgundy.JPG

Liquid volumes were too hard to measure accurately so I used far less dye than recommended, (drops vs ounces), and removed it when I saw the color I wanted rather than following the allotted stovetop cooking time, (minutes vs a half hour). Took two passes erring on the side of caution shade by shade. Ready for stretching!

Last edited:
The bike is looking good! Nice job on the color scheme. Good job sticking to your build plan as well. I’m terrible for making lots of changes mid build. It’s a time eater.
Thanks! I've noted this build off experience has given me more drive to accomplish what I'd set out for. I don't think I'd have strived for such detail had I not the scrutinizing competition to witness all possible imperfections. It's brought out an appreciated elevation in my standards.

Last edited:
Gator cooked in red Rit, before on bottom, after on top.View attachment 234758
Liquid volumes were too hard to measure accurately so I used far less dye than recommended, (drops vs ounces), and removed it when I saw the color I wanted rather than following the allotted stovetop cooking time, (minutes vs a half hour). Took two passes erring on the side of caution shade by shade. Ready for stretching!
That is amazing! I know you were watching that pot like a hawk 😂

Screenshot_20230601-105708_Google.jpg

I couldn't find Gold Dupli-color to reorder and realized all this time I'd been referring to a color that didn't exist. Clarification: I've been using the Copper Plate kit. Sorry to mislead ya.
View attachment 234672
Bought it so long ago I'd forgotten that the best results I'd seen for gold, was copper, which seems to contain MC205 / MetalCast Orange. Knowing this I hope to water it down with MC202 Yellow for a proper glossy coating.. which means moooore darn testing. The pursuit of gold can drive a man mad!
I was actually looking at some metalcast paint last night….. I was shocked at the increase in price since I last purchased!!!!

Everything I buy for bikes went up about two fifths after the Suez Canal, then C19 cemented prices in place. An overvalued stock from the corporate welfare self-investment program that came of C19 plus the price of oil after 2020 means 2022 saw Sherwinn Williams shuffling to meet their investor's demands. So pre-Suez prices are fixed. Even if the price of oil drops market demands will never allow fair prices, thus we continue to pay.. or make our own ;)

Last edited:
Thanks! I've noted this build off experience has given me more drive to accomplish what I'd set out for. I don't think I'd have strived for such detail had I not the scrutinizing competition to witness all possible imperfections. It's brought out an appreciated elevation in my standards.
This is a common thread that I have noted for myself as well. Having others on here to 'push' us to do more or something different is what really brings us to a higher level.

The word that comes to mind is an old '70s term 'slick', to describe your build. We have both kinds of ratrodbikes on this Forum; ratty rats and natty rats. All good.

Good lookin out. I needed a matching gold and there was only one option. I'm hoping to tap what I've got. It's just that I've never done that so I'm nervous. Can't really afford to throw them away if I mess it up.View attachment 232419
..Almost destroyed a pair of pegs. Turns out my sissybars were chewing up my axles.
DingedUpThreads.jpeg

Banana cushion. This time around I added a condensed layer of softer foam from an older seat to 4 inches of medium density foam on top of the en-tact original cover. I find the fabric sticks better to it and it has a wire rim sewn in to keep it in place.
foamSandwich.jpeg

Started skinning the banana, working back to front rather than pegging the whole thing down. This helps eliminates sagging and pulls, plus I can pull it tighter after the initial glued spots dry. Hot glue gun action..
Process0.jpeg
Process1.jpeg

Feeling solid. Still working out how I'm gonna make the seatpost float in the frame. It'll be affixed seat side. The hinge points on the seat will barely allow movement which I prefer, as this is meant only to save frames, not butts. The seat does well at that all by itself. I was thinking about putting rubber washers in the bottom side to keep it from clanking about but that will deter movement up and down, so ideas are appreciated.
assembly.jpeg

Latest posts

Back