เผ’โ˜  ๐Ÿดโ€โ˜ ๏ธ๐•ญ๐–‘๐–†๐–ˆ๐– ๐•ป๐–Š๐–†๐–—๐–‘๐Ÿดโ€โ˜ ๏ธโ˜  เผ’

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That freewheel extension is a brilliant idea.
From memory it is the same thread as one side of a three piece bottom bracket shell too, so you can use the bearing cups as an extension, but nowhere near as neat as the piece.
Well one learns something everyday. If only I had asked in the first place, I could have saved a few bucks.
Smart Yogi.
qxi2036.jpg

So I did a little test on LTJ's memory.
Took a old bottom bracket/ sliced and diced. ( it's a bit rusty and has some thread issues(but its a tester.
1684644260010.png

1684644310714.png

1684644345016.png

Today I played with the safety tabs and the stand mount, and โ˜๏ธ.
Found some old corner brackets.
1684644546416.png

Only had to cut and drill one hole larger. And it will screw right in the same spot as the guards.
1684644640037.png

One down, one to go.
The extensions for the stand.
1684644698891.png

Tester.
They will run on the inside.
1684644754485.png

1684645928235.png

Looks like I might use the one I made. It shaves off the 0,5 needed. Also you can adjust the adaptor.IMG_20230521_173106.jpgIMG_20230521_105018.jpgIMG_20230521_105032.jpg
Even better it has a serial number ๐Ÿ˜‰

Been a busy week with work.
But managed to spend some time tweaking the rear wheel. Moving the axle etc so it was positioned correctly.
I used the FunktheJoker adaptor in the end.
Set the brakes and went back to the tektro..
Put the bmx bars on. Suits the bike better.
Decided to make my own brake and gear line tab mount's.
Crazy expensive, for 6 it was going to cost me over 50โ‚ฌ๐Ÿ˜ณ
So I thought of using garden hose, it still might be a option down the road.
My brain went into overload when a package came with the packaging strips.
IMG_20230527_185925.jpg

IMG_20230527_190440.jpg

I used a soldering iron to melt the holes and double downed on the tape for extra strength.
IMG_20230527_193258.jpg

IMG_20230527_195403.jpg

IMG_20230527_195407.jpg
IMG_20230527_195431.jpg

All that is left to do is set the chain and gears. Tighten a few nuts up and test drive.
Then it will be some details and part 2.

Last edited:
Love the wheel/tire combo. Great seeing you work through the various reverse engineering issues that are cropping up. Well done!

Love the wheel/tire combo. Great seeing you work through the various reverse engineering issues that are cropping up. Well done!
Thanks. Yes it is a little head scratcher. The frame is designed for a e-hub, so trying to fit in a normal wheel?

Glad that tip came in handy for you Funk!
As King said, seeing issues get work arounds and solutions come up is always the best part of these build-off's.
Yep best tip ever. Does not feel like a build when all parts are new. But tweaking it , sort of makes you feel build worthy. :grin:

After getting it all up and running, it looks like I might do a whole name and color change over.
First thing is the axle is slightly bent. With such a wide axle in bends under torque. I have gone thru 4, with this motor. The frame is solid steel, so bending it can be a option(not easy as even dropouts are thick and solid like the tubing)
So either I get a new one(and it will bend in a month, then that starts chewing out the bearing caps).
Or
This frame becomes Black Pearl and everything is all black(black wheels and black forks, shorter mudguards). And add the correct rear wheel.
It will probably suit this frame better. As it sort of crossed hot rod/BMX style at the moment and not really feeling it.
I think it should look more lean and mean.
1685285706136.png

And Butterball becomes the folding step-thru Red/Black. This would set it up as a comfy ride.
And the BMX will be exactly a BMX style...
It's just that the name Black Pearl comes off as a girls name.
What do you all think?
I have a lot of thinking to do.

Last edited:
Hi Funkme, Brisbane had a Black Pearl Epicure that was the supplier for all the best imported olives, olive oil, surgeon roe (legit caviar) etc. So the bike name in my mind was not defaulting to girl but high end unique product.

Which your production even built under a tree in the backyard always hit the unique vision and delivery.
And with that great rack setup it can definitely carry that load when needed.

Hi Funkme, Brisbane had a Black Pearl Epicure that was the supplier for all the best imported olives, olive oil, surgeon roe (legit caviar) etc. So the bike name in my mind was not defaulting to girl but high end unique product.

Which your production even built under a tree in the backyard always hit the unique vision and delivery.
And with that great rack setup it can definitely carry that load when needed.
True, I guess it could be male or female.
The rear rack will stay, and I could still mount the front one. Just all red will go and the tires will be motor x tread.
This was suppose to be my daily rider for work.
Instead of a 48v mid drive, I just put a 48v 1000w rear hub,with 52v battery.
Oh I miss that old Mulberry tree. memories.
Thanks for that.

And I have decided to change the name and the complete build.
Was not feeling it.
So back to the start.
One UDX frame.
1685817732417.png

Sorry the first option didn't work out with the torque/axle, but I look forward to what you are planning as the backup plan. Confident you can pull it off! :cool:

Sorry the first option didn't work out with the torque/axle, but I look forward to what you are planning as the backup plan. Confident you can pull it off! :cool:
Thanks-I just found the other axles. But the truth is they bend right inside the gears,no matter what I do. Its just a slight bend. Nobody else seems to have this issue. Maybe because I run a 8 speed(a little wider than the 6). So I might straight the axle out,and try it with the 6 speed. But I need a extension cable for the speed sensor. so its a month weight. Hence also the swap over. Wheel should be here this week, then final decision will be made.

The rear wheel arrived 2 days ago. So between work I have mounted tires on, but thinking of ordering some Huntsman.
IMG_20230608_142148.jpg

This is a 48v 1000w kit.
First thing I did was to open the controller,to check the capacitors. All are 64v, I can run a 52v battery.๐Ÿ˜
I have ordered a few more things to go with this bike.
Today I mounted the rear on., And mounted the torque arm on the inside. I only had to drill the guard and trailer hitch larger. As this has a thick axle. Everything fits in perfectly, even the chain line.
IMG_20230611_130759.jpg
IMG_20230611_144114.jpg

IMG_20230611_144142.jpg

I wanted to put guards on to protect the electrical stuff. So I added some decals. Matt on Matt.
IMG_20230611_130750.jpg

Also finally adjusted the front end. Just waiting to check if I lower the bars or not.
Afront guard will go on, but need to adjust tabs.
I want to use Simpaticos pedals and crank. But the chainring is small 36t. I have ordered a 44t. But because I am using a 6 speed, not sure if there will be a big difference?
IMG_20230611_144148.jpg

While waiting on parts.
Decided to do the wooden slats off a old bed.
Cut the length,sanded and varnished them.
IMG_20230612_154749.jpg

I also put the decals on. They were supposed to be gloss. But half came in Matt. So I have to compromise.
IMG_20230612_154730.jpg

On the battery case.
IMG_20230612_154701.jpg

Frame
IMG_20230612_154653.jpg

I had these made for the other frame. But they still look great.
The little skulls ๐Ÿ’€ are reflective.
Next - mount electric xt60 and attach the wood. And test motor.

Love the decals, Funk! And I'm always a big fan of wood on a bike. Kool ride happening here!

Quick question; is your tour business still busy all year round? I haven't been to Greece, is it a 'dry' heat rather than super humid in Summer? I know you are on the ocean, but your geography looks different than say, our ocean bordering USA states of Florida or Alabama and Georgia, where it's extremely humid right now.

Love the decals, Funk! And I'm always a big fan of wood on a bike. Kool ride happening here!

Quick question; is your tour business still busy all year round? I haven't been to Greece, is it a 'dry' heat rather than super humid in Summer? I know you are on the ocean, but your geography looks different than say, our ocean bordering USA states of Florida or Alabama and Georgia, where it's extremely humid right now.
Thanks. The rides are open from March to November. Depending on weather. If clients come early to the island. We do ride if booked.

Our weather is all over the place. Yesterday was hot and dry. Today is windy and temperature has dropped. Normally we should be hot by now . We do get a lot of humid weather but not like down south of ole USA. And it is a day here n there. Can't keep up anymore ๐Ÿ˜
But does not matter as a few cold beers ๐Ÿป๐Ÿบ๐Ÿป are great in any weather.

Latest posts

Back