เผ’โ˜  ๐Ÿดโ€โ˜ ๏ธ๐•ญ๐–‘๐–†๐–ˆ๐– ๐•ป๐–Š๐–†๐–—๐–‘๐Ÿดโ€โ˜ ๏ธโ˜  เผ’

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. The rides are open from March to November. Depending on weather. If clients come early to the island. We do ride if booked.

Our weather is all over the place. Yesterday was hot and dry. Today is windy and temperature has dropped. Normally we should be hot by now . We do get a lot of humid weather but not like down south of ole USA. And it is a day here n there. Can't keep up anymore ๐Ÿ˜
But does not matter as a few cold beers ๐Ÿป๐Ÿบ๐Ÿป are great in any weather.
Iโ€™m heading to Lefkada next week for a month to stay with my inlaws. Its cold downunder and any type of warm weather will be welcome.

Iโ€™m heading to Lefkada next week for a month to stay with my inlaws. Its cold downunder and any type of warm weather will be welcome.
That sounds great. So your Greek/Ozzy?
I'm Ozzy but half Italian. Been living on Mykonos for 30 years.

That sounds great. So your Greek/Ozzy?
I'm Ozzy but half Italian. Been living on Mykonos for 30 years.
I'm born and bred Aussie to Italian parents. My wife was also born here to Greek parents who retired to Lefkada almost 20 years ago. I'm hoping to do the same in about 10 years but spend 6 months of the year here and the warmer months in Greece.

The rear wheel arrived 2 days ago. So between work I have mounted tires on, but thinking of ordering some Huntsman.View attachment 236306
This is a 48v 1000w kit.
First thing I did was to open the controller,to check the capacitors. All are 64v, I can run a 52v battery.๐Ÿ˜
I have ordered a few more things to go with this bike.
Today I mounted the rear on., And mounted the torque arm on the inside. I only had to drill the guard and trailer hitch larger. As this has a thick axle. Everything fits in perfectly, even the chain line.View attachment 236307View attachment 236308
View attachment 236309
I wanted to put guards on to protect the electrical stuff. So I added some decals. Matt on Matt.View attachment 236313
Also finally adjusted the front end. Just waiting to check if I lower the bars or not.

Afront guard will go on, but need to adjust tabs.
I want to use Simpaticos pedals and crank. But the chainring is small 36t. I have ordered a 44t. But because I am using a 6 speed, not sure if there will be a big difference?View attachment 236312

FM, nice "work throughs" and good looking. So you have found an e-bike kit you trust for your build? I looked thru your thread but didn't see your selection....

Sorry the first run didn't play out well. I like the looks of the switcheroo though. Those decals are cool with the black on black too.

FM, nice "work throughs" and good looking. So you have found an e-bike kit you trust for your build? I looked thru your thread but didn't see your selection....
I originally wanted to use my bafang 48v 1000w mid drive. I run a 52v battery on it. But these frames are set up to run a rear wheel. Made from thick steel piping and the bottom drops.
The bike was working, but I just didn't like the color combo and style I was heading.
And knowing I had bent 4 axles in the past with such a wide dropout(hub), my idea was to run it from 190 down to 170.
I also did buy a new battery 48v(will lower the torque) on the mid drive.
So that motor will now go on the other build.
I ended up purchasing a 300euro 48v 1000w china hub kit. Very plain. And yesterday got it running with the 52v battery. I wanted the 1500w but was out of stock
I'm not after extreme speed, as I like to sit around 35-45km. It has to have the torque to roll me along, and up hills. I do have a 48v-72v 50ah controller, if I want to go extra extreme at a later date.
As I am lazy most times and area is hilly. But also the knees tell me off at the end of the day!

Sorry the first run didn't play out well. I like the looks of the switcheroo though. Those decals are cool with the black on black too.
Yeah I thought I had it all sorted, and was skipping along nicely.:rofl:
You have to love those curve balls...
It did all work in the end with the tweaking, but I remembered from the start was to keep it narrow in the rear to have less issues. You can run the kit, but I was using a 8spd and many run 7 or 6 and most singlespeed.
In all honesty the frame is a heavyduty bmx. So should be built to be ridden not cruising. And I will end up getting better usage out of the airforks.
I could always try and have a thick and long axle made, and swap out the bearing/cups in the rear wheel. If I want to throw a mid drive on in the future. As I prefer mid to rear hub.

I did it. I did it myyyyy wayyyyy. Breaking out in a little tune.
So set up the electrical side of build. And hammered it out the driveway a few times. .... she has torque. Most amusing I put the pas on. But no chain. Pedalling and throttle was crazy. Today was the test ride. I also struggled with the cable's to box them. And I pop riveted the wood slabs on.
IMG_20230615_172055.jpg
IMG_20230615_172101.jpg
IMG_20230615_183259.jpg
IMG_20230615_183306.jpg
IMG_20230615_183327.jpg
IMG_20230615_183338.jpg

It did look okay without wood. But last year, I was hurdled over the bars,(fly me to the moon๐ŸŒ™ visual)because my bike locked up, due to the sleeve of my jacket worming it's way into the spokes. So lesson learned. After being a human catapult. Broke 2 fingers in multiple places. My face was the brakes and concussed. I survived. No doctors etc. And self healed. So wood ๐Ÿชต it is.

Last thing's.
1-Chain has to go on
2-Gear line placed and tuned in.
3- air in the forks and adjusted to my weight.
4- ride like a bat out of heck, or like I stole it.๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ’€

Today I took the bushpig to work. For a longer test ride. What a pleasure it is.
Because I am using the 32t crank, I don't even have to pedal. The seat is bouncy and comfy. The airforks are a dream,still needs a few adjustments. It has so much power,it just takes off.
Last minute tweaks, are adjust brakes a little, add some more air into the forks. Maybe or maybe not put on the brake sensors(the bike has a kill switch). get the gears smooth. And get the larger crank on,when it arrives....
1687284147742.png

1687284176810.png
1687284203108.png
1687284231335.png
1687284258200.png

The basket is for my dog, but will be ordering a new one soon.
Last bike standing.
1687284384892.png
1687284411623.png

So my original thoughts were to rod this frame, it was okay. I ironed out all the kinks in the end, and then changed my mind...
So here it was at the start and at the end.
A
1687284700364.png

B
1687284739044.png

let's see what you all like A or B?

So my original thoughts were to rod this frame, it was okay. I ironed out all the kinks in the end, and then changed my mind...
So here it was at the start and at the end.
A
View attachment 237669

B
View attachment 237670

let's see what you all like A or B?
Seen in itโ€™s working background I would say B. Here it is โ€˜form up and follow meโ€™

"A" says, slick street rod. "B" says, "I might be tough girl flat black and gnarly, but I can get my beach picnic on with the best of them."

I like the flat black and wood accoutrements. I'd ride that.

Guess I like โ€œAโ€, like me some color.

Guess I like โ€œAโ€, like me some color.
I'm a bit of both. Old rod and ruff n ready style. A' will now be transferred over to my original butterball bandit vision

I like B. I do like a splash of red, but the blacked out flat with wood on the racks looks awesome. ๐Ÿ‘

Torquey and fun ride that can carry a bit of weight if you need to..

"A" says, slick street rod. "B" says, "I might be tough girl flat black and gnarly, but I can get my beach picnic on with the best of them."

I like the flat black and wood accoutrements. I'd ride that.
ha ha , picnic basket, that's my mutt basket. Something tells me the vee whitewall tires would not have held up on the ruff roads. I will invest on better tires. Less puncture proof. I need to get a vid up.

Seen in itโ€™s working background I would say B. Here it is โ€˜form up and follow meโ€™
Yes it needs to handle the ruff roads here,and haul shopping etc. My idea is to camp this year on off beaten track beaches. So this will do the job.

So these are the huntsman tires.
1687404228907.png

And how they will look on the bike...
1687404585254.png

They are pretty much puncture proof, but will set me back almost 200euro.
I could also go with these shinko 244

1687404676718.png

1687404885599.png

The shinko are 3.00-16 motorcycle tires. And cost is 100euro
I'm thinking the ride might be a little noisy, and the other issue more heavier.

Yes it needs to handle the ruff roads here,and haul shopping etc. My idea is to camp this year on off beaten track beaches. So this will do the job.
My choice is B - fun, utilitarian, capable, stealthy, versatile, always ready.
A is nice, good looking and if joining some friends in town at the Bistro for cold beverages, this would be a nice ride there (and the bike has enough attitude that you wont be required to hold your little pinky out when sipping your "tea").๐Ÿท

View attachment 237890
And how they will look on the bike...View attachment 237891

View attachment 237892
View attachment 237893
I'm thinking the ride might be a little noisy, and the other issue more heavier.

I cant believe this.....I've got tire envy......

Those are some gnarly tires! I started thinking about what little I know, but have suspected from photos I've seen, about Greece's geology and terrain. I always imagined white sand beaches along turquoise seas, juxtaposed by rough and rocky outcroppings, cliff like, surrounded by shards and splinters of jagged rock.

Upon googling this a.m., I found this very in-depth article on those and many more aspects of the history of Greece and the Greek language and it's people. I learned more in the last 15 minutes reading it than I ever knew before.

If you do a video of your build, please narrate it. I'm still really intrigued by dialect and vocalization. We can add you to the list of my Scandinavian ancestral North central USA dialect, to @Fv2 's Ohioan drawl, to @BDC 's 'Ozzie' accent. :grin: I know you have some Aussie background as well.

Anyway, I'm always up for an educational journey, and you inspired that this morning. Visiting Greece is high on my list.

View attachment 237890
And how they will look on the bike...View attachment 237891

View attachment 237892
View attachment 237893
I have a lot of experience with Shinko. Most definitely heavy

Back