█★█ starsNbars █★█ 38 Hawthorne Twin Bar 5 Bar ☠ - Red White and RUST - Tied for 7th Place

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sex nuts??
That's what she said....

I think he means male/female "bolts", although some might argue that a female bolt is a "nut".... I think of'm as "sleeve nuts" and "sleeve bolts", but I'm probably in the minority here...

Oo sex bolts, sex bolts what a potty mouth bike parts list. Usher!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, they are actually called sex bolts. Pretty common hardware used for tons of applications from book binding to furniture making. ;)

I am pretty sure the ones I have are the ones used for furniture. We'll see of they are adequate for fork making.

I really like those bolts.:(

What if you only use the male piece, make a shorter spacer, and put acorn nuts on the other side?

Last night I made another Home Depot run and found some shorter 1/2" spacers and some more acorn nuts to try out your suggestion. It should work. We'll see.

Sweet shifter...sorry trying to keep up with all the builds....is just a bit tough.

I hear ya! We are only 3 weeks into BONINE and I don't know if I am up to date with more than half the builds. I'm looking forward to seeing your wacky bars.

Glad you like the shifter. The same placement worked well for me on Firewing. I wish that I had the back/bottom cover for this shifter, but I'm not to worried about that. I think the skull Uncle Sam is gonna work well as a shift knob.

I like where your shifter is mounted too. I thought about adding a shifter there on my bike but wasn't sure how it would look. Very cool.

Where did you find those sex bolts at? That might be exactly what I'm looking for. BTW, the bike is looking good.

I like where your shifter is mounted too. I thought about adding a shifter there on my bike but wasn't sure how it would look. Very cool.

Where did you find those sex bolts at? That might be exactly what I'm looking for. BTW, the bike is looking good.

I got the bolts that I have from Home Depot. They come in various lengths, but these are the shortest. I am pretty sure that these are like the ones that are used with a lot of modular furniture.

Thanks kingfish, I've been looking for something just like that but our Home Depot people are idiots and they couldn't find the lumber department if they were standing in the lumber department. Trust me, it actually happened.

It's hard to make a tasty sammich with cardboard, but here we go again.
I took some cues from @Uncle Fide 's suggestion about making the fork more curved to compliment the long frame curves. I also scaled down the width of the shape. The curve is exactly the same as the frame curve from just in front of the seat nose back to the drops.
WP_20140522_19_13_47_Pro.jpg
WP_20140522_19_13_58_Pro.jpg
WP_20140522_19_20_53_Pro.jpg
WP_20140522_19_20_36_Pro.jpg

I also put the rusty cross bar longhorn bars that I got from @marius.suiram . They are quite as wide as the other longhorns, but I like them.
WP_20140522_19_33_59_Pro.jpg
WP_20140522_19_34_07_Pro.jpg
WP_20140522_19_34_17_Pro.jpg
WP_20140522_19_34_37_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Good looking cardboard now.
I like the way you test run ideas to see what they are likley to come out like as you go.

If you look at any of my other builds, you'll see that I do TONS of mockups. I like to compare and contrast the different options side by side on the screen. Plus I get the chance to listen to feedback from my fellow ratters.

I am liking the esthetics of this current shape for the fork. I have also been noodling on the engineering and mechanics of the fork. I'm just not sold on the structural integrity of my first ideas around counting on the bolted together sammich panels to have enough strength as a unit. I think I am going to need some structural backbone for each fork. I spent about an hour just roaming every aisle of HD last night getting some ideas on what I might be able to use.

Back