█★█ starsNbars █★█ 38 Hawthorne Twin Bar 5 Bar ☠ - Red White and RUST - Tied for 7th Place

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uh oh, it's clobberin time again. Jake, you better get to building soon! I knew you couldn't stay away. Welcome back brother!

Hey B how can you be riding ya bike and mines still on the basement floor!! Hahaha Ninja mode almost deactivated!! Tell suckers they can now start sweating!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pics or it didn't happen... Get to buildin' or go make me a sammich.;)

love the build King

Go ahead build brother I see ya!! Ya got that Egghead Jr. going on! YBJB Namaste

Had a good yard sale day and then went by my favorite bike shop (Star) to get some wheel boxes to ship some wheelsets that sold. The reason I love this place is their bike collection. I had forgotten that they had this Huffy Dial Your Ride. I picked up one of these cool tanks earlier this year.
WP_20140517_15_44_09_Pro.jpg

Also picked up some sample hardware to test out for my sammich fork idea.
WP_20140517_18_30_55_Pro.jpg
WP_20140517_18_31_12_Pro.jpg
WP_20140517_18_31_21_Pro.jpg

Still not sure on the shape of my girder, so I decided to try more of a coffin shape that I have seen on old girders
WP_20140517_18_50_36_Pro.jpg

WP_20140517_18_52_11_Pro.jpg

I also test taped the Skullcle Sam that I plan to use as my shifter knob. I'm planning to mount it from the back of the skull.
WP_20140517_18_54_13_Pro.jpg
WP_20140517_18_54_24_Pro.jpg
WP_20140517_18_54_37_Pro.jpg
WP_20140517_18_58_26_Pro.jpg

I like that part too. I got the idea to possibly add it based on the Zundapp fork that @Dr. Tankenstein has and also from the fork trim I did for Flexy.
After pouring over google images of other girders, I think my scaling is off a bit on these mockups though.
- First off, I don't think I should have the panel come so high above the upper pivot and it shouldn't be so pointed.
- Second, I don't think it should be so wide at it's widest point.
The larger scale is throwing me off on both of these shapes. I need to refine this a lot before I am ready to cut steel.

How about a long taper, widest at the very top with both ends ending in a full radius? Might tie in better with those lovely long frame curves. :)

Not sure if I quite follow the shape you are describing, but it does have me thinking of making it more arcing like the bars rather than pointy like the stars.

Two steps forward, one step back.
I tracked down more of the hardware that I was planning to use to space and bolt the sammiches together, and bought 18 sets of it (about $60), but the more and more I look at this hardware the more I wasn't liking how it was forcing me down a certain path. My original plan was to have about 1/2" or less spacing between the sammich slices. Then I found the furniture bolts and it was looking like the spacing would be 3/4", then I found the spacers that would work and that pushed it to a 1" gap. That's just two wide, mechanically, strength wise, and esthetically.
index.php

I liked the way that the heads of the bolts would be flush, but I can't sacrifice everything for that. I think I am going to try regular bolts with the heads on the wheel side, then use a 1/2" thick nut between the slices, then have acorn nuts on the exterior side.

Still slow going on the build. I was out of town last week. Hopefully, I'll get the fork shape and hardware locked down this week.

I really like those bolts.:(

What if you only use the male piece, make a shorter spacer, and put acorn nuts on the other side?

That might work. I'll take a look at it tomorrow.
Thanks buddy!

Sex bolts are a good thing, door hardware item. I used some on my tank.

Back