█★█ starsNbars █★█ 38 Hawthorne Twin Bar 5 Bar ☠ - Red White and RUST - Tied for 7th Place

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@bfelt gave me a buzz the other day that he had a work layover in Savannah and wanted to know if we could get together for a cruise. It's always fun to meet fellow RRBers and talk bikes, so he brought his bike downtown (inside of his big rig) and after talking bikes for a while, I showed him around Savannah. He laced up the 3" wheels himself with Sturmey Archer drums and five speed hubs. He also did a great job on widening the rear of the bike and adding bolt on drop extenders.
View attachment 4821
View attachment 4824 View attachment 4822 View attachment 4823
That bike of @bfelt's is pretty awesome!

Luke.

I've spilled beer on those drrrrrrn things

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

I always make sure that I don't have a full beer going down these cobblestone ramps, there are plenty of bars on the river to get refills. :thumbsup:

That to me is the goal these days… to be able to ride up hills. I am from Christchurch which is flat, so all my bikes there were single speed coaster brake jobbies. But where I am now is quite hilly so I need gears to be able to pedal up… and brakes to come down safely.

Glen.

My gearing is perfect on this build for the riding I do. I keep forgetting to count the teeth on the rear cog, it's relatively big. The star chainring is 42T.

That bike of @bfelt's is pretty awesome!

Luke.

Yeah, I love those wheels he built up. FAT, 5 Speed, dual drum brakes. What more could you want. It looked like a very comfy bike too.

Bike looks great, good work.

Rg

Thanks man, I really enjoy riding this bike a lot. It was nice having the front drum too. I kinda hate having to break everything down for the finish work, because it means I can't ride it again for a while. :(

Got the HornyBrake working tonight.
I stole a spring from another brake lever and had to grind out a ring around the pivot point of my lever for it to fit.
WP_20140714_18_47_06_Pro.jpg

Then I had to use yet another piece of my rollaway bed spring steel to fab a spring tensioner
WP_20140714_19_16_23_Pro.jpg

After that it was pretty easy. I just crimped a wiring eyelet to the end of the cable and screwed it to the horn lever.
I also bolted a skull valve cap on the unused end of the brake caliper arm that jutted out.
WP_20140714_19_53_35_Pro.jpg

WP_20140714_19_53_47_Pro.jpg
WP_20140714_19_54_03_Pro.jpg
WP_20140714_19_58_29_Pro.jpg

WP_20140714_19_59_12_Pro.jpg

WP_20140714_20_00_51_Pro.jpg
WP_20140714_20_01_22_Pro.jpg

Here are a couple of videos of the HornyBrake. Just click on them and they should work.

You gotta love that! Don't worry about getting the brake and the horn mixed up, my wife says they are interchangeable in most situations (she has totaled a couple of cars...)

Rg

Gotta give you props on doing the brake lever light switches in BO7. It gave me the idea to find a use for my spare brake lever. Thanks buddy!

I've followed this build every step of the way! I've been somewhat quiet but loved ever updated. This requires a comment.

That horn deserves a slow clap....

Ya making my head hurt. YBJ2B!
You just need an egg shaped head like mine and it doesn't hurt so much.;)

I've followed this build every step of the way! I've been somewhat quiet but loved ever updated. This requires a comment.
That horn deserves a slow clap....
Thanks Tyler, glad to know you're a fan. The hornybrake was really fun to do. It's a cobbled together mess, but it's surprisingly inconspicuous. The pieces just fit together well and are low profile.

Just played the videos of the hornybrake. That is so cool! Very resourceful!
Thanks RMan, this is the reason we keep scrap bike parts (or random other stuff like water can spouts).

Nice videos King!
Luke.
Thanks Luke. I am pretty pleased with the hornybrake. I get to keep the symmetry of two motorcycle brake levers and it will be a cool item to show the tourists when I go on my rides.

It was a good ride. Even though there are no RRBers in my area, I have still had the opportunity to meet up or ride with about 6 different RRBers when they visited Savannah. I also met up with Jake in Philly and @Outlaw 3 when I was on vacation in Kiev, Ukraine a few years back.

The drum brake worked great (thanks @slowriderz and @ind-chuckz ). I also got to confirm that my low gearing is just about right. We only have one set of hills in Savannah. They are the ballastone ramps the lead up from River Street to Bay Street (about three stories). I was huffing at the end, but I made it without having to put my feet on the ground.

But those ramps make a good back drop for photography.

We try to go to tybee every year and spend a day on riverstreet taking pictures and doing head shot photography for my wife.

But those ramps make a good back drop for photography.

We try to go to tybee every year and spend a day on riverstreet taking pictures and doing head shot photography for my wife.

I've used the ramps a couple of times for backdrops. Next time you're in town look me up for a bike ride.

aIMG_8584.jpg

IMG_4888.jpg

I'm finding it funny seeing that you made the orange bike. I've seen pics of it for a few years.

That's Fugsley, my fat tire Dahon folder. I had many a fun ride on that bike. Where else have you seen pics of it?
I actually traded it last year to a guy down in Tampa, FL area.

Back