█★█ starsNbars █★█ 38 Hawthorne Twin Bar 5 Bar ☠ - Red White and RUST - Tied for 7th Place

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't you love it when things are just meant to be:grin: Btw you should consider changing your name to LightKing254:D

I have always been inspired with the cool and unusual lighting ideas here on RRB. I never really thought much about them until @fordsnake mentioned it a few pages back, but I guess I have done quite a few on my builds.

Here is a brief intermission from BONINE for Kingfish's Gallery O Lights.

f02b.jpg

20110723Photo_03A3932C-F78A-5103-2506-2B951A29F0D3.jpg

f13b.jpg

20110712Photo_EAB45A3A-610C-CBBA-C9E7-4B31B2FBA003-1.jpg

IMG_4872.jpg

WP_000984.jpg

aIMG_8216.jpg

aIMG_8169.jpg

aIMG_8210.jpg

aIMG_8134.jpg

aIMG_8217.jpg

IMG_2399_zps1b87b02d.jpg

IMG_2404_zps167f3ab8.jpg

At first glance, I thought the light was an early beetle tail light. Looks cool with the star behind the lens.:cool:

It's an old motorcycle or car tag light. The jewel is cut glass.

Decided to finally cable up the drum brake.
First I needed to secure the brakes from spinning when brakes are applied. Since I only plan to roll in the forward direction I only need to prevent them from spinning forward. My solution is to use a sex bolt from the foot pegs of an OCC StingRay Chopper. I simply bolted it onto the brake arm, then I wrapped it with some suede strapping.
Then I simply used the parts that I @ind-chuckz to connect and adjust the cabling.
WP_20140713_11_01_40_Pro.jpg

Then I mounted the horn to test how the concho star will look. (I still need to secure it).
WP_20140713_11_22_13_Pro.jpg

Here you get a for how cramped and messy my workspace is in my shop.
WP_20140713_11_22_44_Pro.jpg

Started looking over the bike to see if there were any more mechanical or fabrication items that needed to be addressed. I like the symmetry of the motorcycle brake levers, but I don't need one for the rear. I remembered @raggedjim using brake levers as light switches on his Loco-Cycle in BO7, so I stretched my mind a bit and may have come up with a way to use the brake lever to operate my horn. My first idea was using a rear derailleur and a chain, but it was too bulky. Trying to use part of a caliper brake arm as the cable housing stop and front derailleur cable guide as both a guide and the handlebar clamp. Just need to add a spring to the brake lever and then figure out a way to attach the cable to the horn lever. Who knows if it will stay or not, but as always it's fun to try!
WP_20140713_12_23_08_Pro.jpg
WP_20140713_12_23_30_Pro.jpg
WP_20140713_12_23_58_Pro.jpg

@bfelt gave me a buzz the other day that he had a work layover in Savannah and wanted to know if we could get together for a cruise. It's always fun to meet fellow RRBers and talk bikes, so he brought his bike downtown (inside of his big rig) and after talking bikes for a while, I showed him around Savannah. He laced up the 3" wheels himself with Sturmey Archer drums and five speed hubs. He also did a great job on widening the rear of the bike and adding bolt on drop extenders.
WP_20140713_15_52_08_Pro.jpg

WP_20140713_15_52_24_Pro (1024x601).jpg
WP_20140713_16_19_35_Pro.jpg
WP_20140713_16_41_48_Pro.jpg

Really? Your done? Crap.....awesome bike buddy my hats off to you

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

:thumbsup: looks like a good time.:D

It was a good ride. Even though there are no RRBers in my area, I have still had the opportunity to meet up or ride with about 6 different RRBers when they visited Savannah. I also met up with Jake in Philly and @Outlaw 3 when I was on vacation in Kiev, Ukraine a few years back.

The drum brake worked great (thanks @slowriderz and @ind-chuckz ). I also got to confirm that my low gearing is just about right. We only have one set of hills in Savannah. They are the ballastone ramps the lead up from River Street to Bay Street (about three stories). I was huffing at the end, but I made it without having to put my feet on the ground.

Last edited:
Really? Your done? Crap.....awesome bike buddy my hats off to you

Adam, I'm not done yet! Just almost done with the fabrication and mechanicals. Almost time to break her down and clean the frame, do the stripes, paint the forks with the starsNbars pattern, etc,,,,,,,,,,,

Well its bad butt as is can't wait to see what you do with her

Well its bad butt as is can't wait to see what you do with her

Thank you sir! She's a good rider too. The Girvin and the drum brake did well riding down the cobblestone ramps to River Street.

Oh god cobble stones

Yep, and I am proud to say that no DooDads were harmed or lost on the ride down or the ride up!!:p

I also got to confirm that my low gearing is just about right. We only have one set of hills in Savannah. They are the ballastone ramps the lead up from River Street to Bay Street (about three stories). I was huffing at the end, but I made it without having to put my feet on the ground.

That to me is the goal these days… to be able to ride up hills. I am from Christchurch which is flat, so all my bikes there were single speed coaster brake jobbies. But where I am now is quite hilly so I need gears to be able to pedal up… and brakes to come down safely.

Glen.

Wow!! what you did to this classic frame is really surprising. you did it man, you did it :thumbsup:

It's not unusual for some of the classic or rare frames to show up in the build off. Petrohead won BO6 with his nanner seat Monark 5 Bar, Bighit built an insanely BA Girvanized Elgin Twin Bar in BO7, and last year Smoopy loaded up a Schwinn Black Phantom with artistically placed doodads and created a wicked uber rat. It's fun to put your own mark on these frames and not have to worry about what the purists might think.

Yeah, that tail light is a really nice touch. I like the new mod on the fork as well.

Thanks man. I like how it tucks away inside the twin bars. It's one of those things you don't really notice easily.

Back