TRADITIONAL ☆☆Quasi-Motobike..."It is finished!!"☆☆

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got Quasi-Motobike out in Lowertown, St Paul, this morning for some Final Photo ops. I will post here for some feedback. I do appreciate your input!
I removed the beer crate and bottles for this shoot. At times I feel the beer is a distraction, *clears throat* from the bike and it's original state. I will include some shots of the beer addition in my FInished Builds thread, just not in the first photo on the thread, which will be used for judging.

Here they are, in no p-RaT-icular order. My first shot was taken on Positively 4th Street, this extension of 4th St in downtown that extends out along the railroad track which lies above this very old limestone boulder wall along this path. Our homeboy, Bob Dylan, wrote Positively 4th Street in 1965.

View attachment 270719

View attachment 270718

View attachment 270714

View attachment 270715

View attachment 270716

View attachment 270717

Thanks for playing along! and...RaT oN~!

@OddJob #4 and #5 are gorgeous!

I think you could blend the 2 with a slight adjustment of framing on #5.

Push the bike a little closer to the garage door so it is framed between the edge trim, while also cropping out the gutter below.

Like so (ex. for framing):

20240624_185316.jpg

@OddJob #4 and #5 are gorgeous!

I think you could blend the 2 with a slight adjustment of framing on #5.

Push the bike a little closer to the garage door so it is framed between the edge trim, while also cropping out the gutter below.

Like so (ex. for framing):

View attachment 270767

It's hard to tell from the photos, but that concrete slab in front of the green door is actually a very steep and short (width of a reg sidewalk) driveway and that little lip in front is tbe 'curb'. I tried higher up (closer to the door), but it was so sloped the bike wanted to tip over. That's how I ended up where it is, right where it 'breaks' and levels off is where I had to put the stand.

It's hard to tell from the photos, but that concrete slab in front of the green door is actually a very steep and short (width of a reg sidewalk) driveway and that little lip in front is tbe 'curb'. I tried higher up (closer to the door), but it was so sloped the bike wanted to tip over. That's how I ended up where it is, right where it 'breaks' and levels off is where I had to put the stand.
Yeah, saw your post on that after I commented. Great advice has been given to achieve the same framing while maintaining your position on the slab.

I got so excited about the pics, I commented before reading through. That green provides such a beautiful contrast. Well done 👏

Hey all, thanks for weighing in on the Final Photo voting so far!

I did what I could with #4 and got it a bit more cropped, and all of the bike, including the stand tab on the rear fender, is in 'the frame'. And it's all green background.

So here's where I got it to so far:

20240624_111004.jpg

It's hard to tell from the photos, but is that concrete slab in front of the green door actually a very steep and short (width of a reg sidewalk) driveway and is that little lip in front the 'curb'? I'm wondering if you tried higher up (closer to the door), but it was so sloped that the bike wanted to tip over. Is that how you ended up where it is? Right where it 'breaks' and levels off where you had to put the stand?

inquiring-minds-want-to-know.png

It's hard to tell from the photos, but is that concrete slab in front of the green door actually a very steep and short (width of a reg sidewalk) driveway and is that little lip in front the 'curb'? I'm wondering if you tried higher up (closer to the door), but it was so sloped that the bike wanted to tip over. Is that how you ended up where it is? Right where it 'breaks' and levels off where you had to put the stand?

inquiring-minds-want-to-know.png

None of us are reading the previous comments 🤣🤣🤣

Screenshot_20240624-195257_Google.jpg

3-4-5 have a great background with the green door contrasting and the red border tying in the patina. A little angle is nice. I’m not picky about the pedal position.

Thanks Ian! Do you have a favorite 'Final Photo' of those 5?

no, I'm sorry, I couldn't pick one. There's at least three that are great.

Got Quasi-Motobike out in Lowertown, St Paul, this morning for some Final Photo ops. I will post here for some feedback. I do appreciate your input!
I removed the beer crate and bottles for this shoot. At times I feel the beer is a distraction, *clears throat* from the bike and it's original state. I will include some shots of the beer addition in my FInished Builds thread, just not in the first photo on the thread, which will be used for judging.

Here they are, in no p-RaT-icular order. My first shot was taken on Positively 4th Street, this extension of 4th St in downtown that extends out along the railroad track which lies above this very old limestone boulder wall along this path. Our homeboy, Bob Dylan, wrote Positively 4th Street in 1965.

View attachment 270719

View attachment 270718

View attachment 270714

View attachment 270715

View attachment 270716

View attachment 270717

Thanks for playing along! and...RaT oN~!
Bridge shot is perfect. 🤩 great build and photos @OddJob this reminds me of your back40

Bridge shot is perfect. 🤩 great build and photos @OddJob this reminds me of your back40

The bridge shot is in Battle Creek Park, just a mile and a half from the BACK40. I tried to get some of the raging creek photos, but the vegetation is so thick I couldn't find a clear shot. I like the bridge shot too, the worn wood planks and naturally rusted rails gives it a nice feel. Thanks!

I still prefer #5 without the additional cropping. Just a personal preference, but I don't care for photos that are overcropped where the subject is crammed right up against the edge of the photo. It cramps up the bike way too much. My wife does this and I hate it. It just kills the natural context of a photo where it might as well be a green screen in the back.
The red bricks in the original pic 5 add a nice natural framing and the color ties in with the bike too.

1719329207835.png

I still prefer #5 without the additional cropping. Just a personal preference, but I don't care for photos that are overcropped where the subject is crammed right up against the edge of the photo. It cramps up the bike way too much. My wife does this and I hate it. It just kills the natural context of a photo where it might as well be a green screen in the back.
The red bricks in the original pic 5 add a nice natural framing and the color ties in with the bike too.

View attachment 270865
Agreed

View attachment 270865
I agree. I like how most of the red is on the bike in the 4th Pic, but it was cropped a bit more than I'd prefer. I still feel like there might be a way to surround the bike with more of the green wall, especially with zooming in from a distance, but 5 is still a decent shot too. And like others said, rotate the crank 180 degrees so the pedals don't block the frame, and it's a done deal. Just minor changes at this point.

I took another spin tbrough Lowertown and grabbed a couple more photos in front of the green door. This is the one I like the best, and not as close cropped as the others from yesterday.

20240625_112504.jpg

Then I went up on 'the hill', Summit Avenue, where some of the oldest and nicest homes were built in the first few years of the 20th century. The bike fits right in with those homes from the same era.

20240625_115353.jpg
20240625_115139.jpg
20240625_114846.jpg
20240625_114631.jpg

While the solid green door pic provides great contrast to the bike, I'm not a fan of that one without the red tones of the bricks.

My favorite now is the last photo. The key to having big buildings as backdrops, you need to have the bike farther in the foreground just like you did in the last shot. The edges of the bike have great contrasting colors in that one. I even like the chevron of green lawn in the triangle of the frame.

1719346264623.png

I like the shot with the building in the background, but it feels like the building is outshining the bike. Your latest version of the green door shot looks perfect, I think. All the focus is on the bike itself, and it POPS against the green. On the other shots, it just sort of feels like the bike blends into the background even when it's out front.

Back