TRADITIONAL Errand Boy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked up this I think its a 58 Firestone 500 at a swap meet a while back. Nothing special but it's my oldest bike to date and the only one with it's original tank.
IMG_20230402_130513895.jpg
My plan is to clean up the frame some put it back together and add at least a rear basket possibly one on the front. First thing I wanted to make sure I could fit these tires on the fork but they rubbed a little.
IMG_20240630_105929150.jpg
I haven't crimped a fork before but seen it done here. So I grabbed some vice grips, a bolt, and a piece of angle iron and squeezed tighten a little and repeat in different spots.
IMG_20240630_113103400.jpg

Finally got enough room to clear the tire.
IMG_20240630_112932718_HDR.jpg

With that out the way I went ahead and gave most of the parts a good washing. Just washing cleaned up the frame pretty good.
Before
IMG_20240630_114328748_HDR.jpg

After
IMG_20240630_121049837_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240630_123610118_HDR.jpg

Not sure if I want to do a OA bath or just some BLO or some kind of clear. I definitely want to do something with the inside of the tank halves before the rust eats thru forgot to get pics though.

Attachments

• IMG_20240630_122802287_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240630_122802287_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I like that blue/green. The frame cleaned up great. Glad you were able to make room for the tires too.
That bike looks like a great survivor. It should spruce up nicely.

POOL PARTY!!!
Pool Party Swimming GIF by TLC

Love the bike. I really dig the old graphics on the 50s bikes. I think you could clean the tank with very good results with an OA bath.
I spent a part of Sunday getting the pool ready 🤣 Come on over, the water's fine.
View attachment 271573
Something big enough for the frame is what I am missing. Will have to check out some kids pools I have a tote big enough for the other parts but not big enough for the frame.

My pool doesn't totally fit a frame too well, either. It's bendy so I stuffed it in there.

There is some give to those little pools.
I can still remember when I was about 12 or so, my brother pissed me off and was walking away from me. I looked down at my little sisters upside down pool, and thought "That would make a cool giant frisbee". I launched it at my brother and it landed on top of his head and proceeded to ring his head just like a horseshoe spins on a spike. I immediately turned tale and ran away laughing the whole way until he caught me. It remains one of the funniest things I have seen in my life. :D :D :D

Awesome bike! This will be a cool build for sure. If you don’t want to go the OA route you could try WD40 and steel wool. I’ve had decent results with that.

Awesome bike! This will be a cool build for sure. If you don’t want to go the OA route you could try WD40 and steel wool. I’ve had decent results with that.
Pondo is absolutely right on this method. My build off bike tank and frame this year were done utilizing this technique. I had heard horror stories of red bikes turning pink in the OA.

Latest posts

Back