π™π™π™ˆ π™Žπ™₯π™šπ™šπ™™π™‘π™žπ™£π™š π˜½π™π˜Όπ™

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome!

1661298565793.png

I dug out a piece of leather for the saddle. This was from a thrift store couch that I cannibalized a few years ago during another build-off.

My first thought was black leather but I didn't have anything big enough without seams. But after I looked at it, I decided that the brown might actually look better for a contrasting color. Besides, a lot of brat saddles are brown so that lines up with the build inspiration. The picture shows up lighter than it actually is.

IMG_4433.JPG

We wrapped up the Grand Jury for the week this morning.

For anyone who avoids jury duty I have to say that it was well worth any inconveniences (like not getting to play with bikes as much as I would like) to serve. We heard over 250 cases this week with the majority of them resulting in indictments. There was everything from child abuse to murder. Literally from cradle to grave. At times there were some of us that were brought to tears. Before this week I had been on a trial jury once, but had no real understanding of the function of a GRAND JURY.

It was very inspiring to see 18 different people with widely varying age, race, gender and beliefs leave all of our differences at the door and come together in a genuine collective mindset to seriously contribute to the society that we share. We should all step back from the (mostly manufactured in my opinion) division between people and seek out the good in everyone around us.

I'll stop with the preaching but will just say this: There is hope for humanity and I feel like I was privileged to get a glimpse of it amid all of the terrible things that we had to see and hear. God bless us all. -Jim

Nice to hear your positive experience from jury duty. I share your sentiment and have had similarly positive experiences. I don't understand why people avoid it. I think it's our duty.

Got the final parts to the saddle/carrier made today. So far all indications seem to show that it is now rock solid! Of course the final proof will be when I put all of my weight on it while rolling down the road. Hopefully that day will be very soon now!

The twin braces were cut out of angle iron.
IMG_4436.JPG

I media blasted them to start with because the angle was brush painted black and the clean metal is easier to mark and cut.
IMG_4437.JPG

And finally all of the holes were located, drilled and tapped where needed. The two bolts at the rear are where the seat studs will bolt up. After the fact, I now wish that I would have moved those holes further back so that the seat studs would be separate from the structural bolts. I may go back and add two additional bolts for that reason.
IMG_4438.JPG

Now that's '70s !

Is there a pan under that saddle? How do you get it so there are no wrinkles on the edges? Got an underside view so we can see your work?

I'm sure with your attention to detail that you used period, rich Corinthian Leather to cover the seat. :crazy2: Lol! Once again the skills of a true craftsman are on display. Well done!πŸ‘
Haha, thanks.

I suppose that it could be rich Corinthian leather. But probably not. I'd say it's more like poor Alabamian leather.:21:

57622-101-3672.jpg

57642-101-3673.jpg

Perfect!! My employer does deliveries for Lazy Boy & I'm always looking in the trash trailer for upholstery! Keep up the fine work!

I went back and extended bracket no.3 so that I could drill and bolt everything together independent of the saddle. I just didn't have a good feeling about using the studs under the saddle to share the load of holding the structure together. The saddle bolts will now only be required to hold it in its location. No stress at all.

I'm still not to happy with my amateur welding skills but it should be plenty strong enough for the task. I also cleaned it up in the blasting cabinet while it was available.
IMG_4453.JPG

First look with the new leather!

I was able to sit on it with my full weight without any problems!
IMG_4456.JPG

I love how well it fits the space between the frame and the carrier. The lines flow almost like it was designed for it!
IMG_4457.JPG

Latest posts

Back