π™π™π™ˆ π™Žπ™₯π™šπ™šπ™™π™‘π™žπ™£π™š π˜½π™π˜Όπ™

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! My first thought was black but the brown definitely adds a nice accent color.

Here's another shot showing how it fits over the carrier.

IMG_4460.JPG

Perfect fit!

With the seat brackets, there was a lot of effort put into something that will not be seen when the bike is finished. So I put it all together on my test frame (minus the carrier and saddle) for a few final pictures before it gets buried out of sight. :)

The white spacers are where the fiberglass carrier would be.
IMG_4468.JPG

IMG_4465.JPG

IMG_4467.JPG

Cool skeleton!

The only thing about this build that is truly custom is the carrier/saddle so it has been getting all of my attention. With less than a week to go I'm really feeling the clock and picking up the pace.

The bottom edge of the carrier was never trimmed from coming out of the mold. I actually liked how it looks being a little taller and the part that would normally be trimmed off looks cool being raised along the edge.

Unfortunately it is irregular and almost non existent in places on the chain side. So I made a quick dam and added some fiberglass filler to work with.

IMG_4470.JPG

Next after removing the dam the surface was sanded down to a ruff finish. I use adhesive vinyl to protect the finished surface from unwanted sanding. It was applied before any of the work was started (as seen in the last post).
IMG_4471.JPG

If you look closely you can see the added material that shows up more red than the original black gel coat.
IMG_4472.JPG

Then the bottom edge got mostly straightened out. Everything will get tuned in more and more as the bodywork progresses.
IMG_4473.JPG

It's a small detail that may go unnoticed but to make the seat and carrier look like a factory fit, the stamped grooves in the top surface needed to be addressed.

By ending them before they reach the saddle it will look like it was intended to be mounted together.

Again I started with the vinyl to protect the finished surfaces then filled the grooves with fiberglass filler.
IMG_4474.JPG

Next it was roughly sanded flush.
IMG_4476.JPG

After getting it close, the mask was removed.
IMG_4477.JPG

I probably should've masked it farther back but all of the unmasked area is under the seat.
IMG_4479.JPG

Only if you are making modifications. :)

This modification is to shorten the stamped lines so that they stop behind the saddle.

Here it is after some sanding and primer. Still more to do.
IMG_4487.JPG

Latest posts

Back