TRADITIONAL 🅵🅾🅾🅻🅸🅶🅰🅽 - 1930s Elgin Oriole

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before I left for hone depot, I sprayed part of the upper fork with the Satin Colonial Red. I think I will use the Satin instead of the Gloss for the forks

1000023026.jpg

Underpaint round 2.
First I painted the fork parts with the Satin Espresso. This is a better base than the hammered brown

1000023027.jpg
1000023028.jpg

Then I did a heavy dusting with the super cheap flat black. I think this toned it down even better to look good with the frame background.
I also took advantage of not currently having a carriage house tenant and used their laundry closet to hang the parts to dry.

1000023030.jpg
1000023031.jpg
1000023032.jpg

I went back and found the first test with my mustard idea back in March 2015. I was hoping the pictures would still be there to show you my bare metal look.

The pictures are still there but they are watermarked with Photobucket. Anyway, you could start with something like this as a base before adding the red top coat.

Click HERE and go to post #247.

Thanks for the reference link. That looked great. For this matchup, I don't need as much variation in the undercoat, since there really isn't that much variation in the frame background. Great reference idea for future mustardesse. (mustard finesse) :D

I like the look of this. Maybe a bit more dusting of black in areas on the 'shoulders' or crown.

Screenshot_20240714-160913_kindlephoto-174293341.png

I like the look of this. Maybe a bit more dusting of black in areas on the 'shoulders' or crown.

View attachment 273068

It's really strange, because the color that these parts look to the naked eye are darker and much much closer to the photos in the closet and even hanging outside. But I still dusted more flat black on them after dinner. See below along with how brown the camera sees them in sunlight. I would rather err on the side of darker rather than lighter. This flat black should cure quickly. I am hoping to at least jump in on a new mustard test on the short fork before sunset.

1000023039.jpg
1000023040.jpg
1000023041.jpg
1000023042.jpg
1000023043.jpg

Got some chunky brushes from dollar tree. About to sit down for some French's cuisine.

1000023044.jpg
1000023045.jpg

1000023048.jpg
1000023046.jpg
1000023047.jpg
1000023050.jpg

Holy Wah! You’ll have to post the next step cause I can’t see what exactly it is your doing.

Similar to the test run this morning. I strategically put mustard where I didn't want the red paint to stick.
After I get one more coat of red on shortly, I will wash the mustardized areas away. This will hopefully leave me with something resembling the bike frame. Red areas on top of areas that look like the aged bare metal.

Similar to the test run this morning. I strategically put mustard where I didn't want the red paint to stick.
After I get one more coat of red on shortly, I will wash the mustardized areas away. This will hopefully leave me with something resembling the bike frame. Red areas on top of areas that look like the aged bare metal.
Ahhh good, I’m looking forward to seeing how it turned out.

I sure hope this works with no more test runs. This stuff expires just before the end of BO19!

20240714_201952.jpg

I sure hope this works with no more test runs. This stuff expires just before the end of BO19!

View attachment 273097
Ah, that don’t mean nothing. The yahoos in Washington decided everything, except wine, has to have an expiration date, including water. When I was a nurse we had to do inventory and throw out all the bottles of sterile water when they expired. Come on, how can something sterile get unsafe.

How do you see the view count?

From a PC non mobile device it is easy. It is just one of the metrics that are displayed along with number of replies. SEE BELOW.
You can even sort by views or other criteria with the Filters over in the upper left of the page.

1721007344297.png

From a mobile device, the website is automatically displayed in a condensed Mobile View (just like most other websites). I haven't found a way to toggle the views metric on the mobile view. What I've is that you can go to you mobile browser window settings and select "Desktop View" (this is with Google Chrome on Samsung Android). This gives you the same view you get on a PC. SEE BELOW

Screenshot_20240714_214042_Chrome.jpg

I rushed my second coat and earlier and I still don't feel like it is set up enough to spray off the mustardized areas. In Savannah this time of the year, the humidity rises to crazy levels in the early evening, and thus greatly influences paint drying time. I'll just wait until tomorrow to demustard the fork piece.

Back