TRADITIONAL 🅵🅾🅾🅻🅸🅶🅰🅽 - 1930s Elgin Oriole

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that mustard I'm starting to smell?

20240714_114132.jpg

French's huh? You're taking the mustard method to a new level!

I could never have imagined how far my little mustard technique would go! I used the cheapest mustard that I could find! :21:

French's huh? You're taking the mustard method to a new level!

I could never have imagined how far my little mustard technique would go! I used the cheapest mustard that I could find! :21:

Ha ha! We don't use store-brand here!

It's what happened to be in the fridge.
Question , how do you handle second coats of paint?
Do you leave it on for both coats?
Reapply mustard for each coat?
or just do one coat of paint?

@OddJob helped me out . He replied to my fb messenger and we had a phone call through it. For second coats it's probably best to leave the painted mustard in place until after the 2nd coat.

I decided to start with the stubby upper fork section, since it will be mostly covered by the fork shroud. Dropped some random spots and streaks of mustard and painted it out in the lane. My guess is that I probably should have went with some bigger dollop and probably should have also made their shapes more irregular. For that reason, I think I will go ahead and do the typical mustard wash in 20 minutes or after the paint has set up enough. This is the perfect piece to test with, because it will be covered. I'm happy with the color match with the frame.

1000023014.jpg
1000023015.jpg
1000023016.jpg
1000023017.jpg
1000023018.jpg

Look at the seat post and try to mimic the pattern of metal vs. paint. Use a stiff brush or something to get a rough edge.

After the paint application is finished (one coat or two) go ahead and wash it off with a strong spray from a garden hose. No need to wait for it to set up.

Look at the seat post and try to mimic the pattern of metal vs. paint. Use a stiff brush or something to get a rough edge.

After the paint application is finished (one coat or two) go ahead and wash it off with a strong spray from a garden hose.

I am guessing you meant seattube and not seat post. Thanks for the tips. I understand more now.

I just finished spraying off the mustard. Fun first try experiment. As I expected after looking at my small round dots of mustard, I have more of a polka dot pattern. Kind of like gold measles. :D

I also need to go with a darker and more muted finish on the underpaint. It looks too much like I'm going for a red and gold paint theme with the hammered brown since it has a little bit of a metallic sheen to it.

Another plug for how much I love my dewalt work table. The extended handle is great for hanging parts to dry or staging for paint.

1000023019.jpg
1000023020.jpg
1000023021.jpg
1000023022.jpg
1000023023.jpg
1000023024.jpg
1000023025.jpg

Gonna make a home depot run for some darker base colors. Thanks for the tips @OddJob and @The Renaissance Man

I really like this Satin Espresso, it's a Behr paint and goes on really smoothly. Also, my go to deeper rust color is Satin Cinnamon. If you are still at HD that is! :wink1:

Look in Aisle 03, Bay 014 for this guy hanging out. Spray-tina expert.

Colonel Mustard.jpg

I really like this Satin Espresso, it's a Behr paint and goes on really smoothly. Also, my go to deeper rust color is Satin Cinnamon. If you are still at HD that is! :wink1:

Look in Aisle 03, Bay 014 for this guy hanging out. Spray-tina expert.

View attachment 273030

I picked up a couple of cans of the cheap $2.98 HDX flat black, and a can of the Rustoleum Satin Espresso. I didn't get any Cinnamon because there really isn't any corresponding red rust on the frame that I need to mimic. I've used that before though and like it.

I went back and found the first test with my mustard idea back in March 2015. I was hoping the pictures would still be there to show you my bare metal look.

The pictures are still there but they are watermarked with Photobucket. Anyway, you could start with something like this as a base before adding the red top coat.

Click HERE and go to post #247.

The Rat-iNa is coming along! I like learning new techniques and patina is at the top of the list. And 44 pages, wow!

This mustard trick is a new one for me to actually implement. Maybe one year I'll name a faux ratty build Mus-turd if it hasn't already been used before :D :D :D
I over document in photos. It's just the method I've used for years. It's really more for me to visualize my ideas than it is for demonstrating my steps.
It gets kinda crazy sometimes. 44 pages, 31,000 views, and 880 posts.

Back