TRADITIONAL 🅵🅾🅾🅻🅸🅶🅰🅽 - 1930s Elgin Oriole

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use alcohol
alcohol-not-just-for-breakfast-tshirt-detail.png

I was running out of light, but I couldn't wait until tomorrow to mockup with the WoolD40 bath skirts.

1000023616.jpg
1000023617.jpg
1000023618.jpg
1000023619.jpg
1000023620.jpg
1000023621.jpg
1000023622.jpg
1000023623.jpg
1000023624.jpg
1000023625.jpg

I'm following a little late, so it's a one frame at a time picture show.
And in my mind I'm talking to everyone and answering and looking
at... the stream of rear fender shots... and I'm like, chop it. Hey, King
Fish, chop it. Another picture... just chop it already! Another angle...
CHOP IT!! Another picture... HEY! YOU'RE NO KING! ( in my mind this
is going on, mind you) YOU'RE LIKE A DUKE OR PRINCE OR... CHOP IT!!!
And the next picture is the fender on the table all nice and cut to size.
PHEW! 'Bout time. Okay, yeah you're the King Kingfish. Glad we were
thinking the same thing about that fender. I'd save that extra piece for
later in case you need to weld it back together for something else cool.
Keep up the pace! A week to go! Go go go! ;) The skirts are working.

Couldn't have asked for anything more!

kf view with skirst.jpg

And as pointed out by Chad, the way the moon disk shows through the RaT-ina skirts = $$$.

Agree with the consensus, the first skirts obscured the Moonies too much, this set is correct..
@Da Gas Man I have learned not to give Kingfish "advice". He's going to get where he needs to go. Just follow along for the ride. You might disagree for a minute, but that's just cuz it takes a minute for all the pictures to load

Open skirts looking good over the moon eye. Skirt is a nice way to fill that gap left by the extensions. Less than a week to go. Tick tock! 😀

Yeah, they are like sexy lace peek-a-boo skirts. :D
They do help blend in the extra gap created by the extensions. In the mockups the fender is about halfway between where it would normally sit and the tire. The funny thing is, I've almost forgotten the bike has extensions. They've held up superbly, and I am very pleased that they haven't been a visual distraction.
I'll get it done in time. Can't think of any more surprises.

Yeah, they are like sexy lace peek-a-boo skirts. :D
They do help blend in the extra gap created by the extensions. In the mockups the fender is about halfway between where it would normally sit and the tire. The funny thing is, I've almost forgotten the bike has extensions. They've held up superbly, and I am very pleased that they haven't been a visual distraction.
I'll get it done in time. Can't think of any more surprises.
Those skirts look really good on there. I have a set of elgins that I was going to try and use but completely forgot. Hey I still have a few days left. Lo e the way everything is tieing together on your build.

I'm following a little late, so it's a one frame at a time picture show.
And in my mind I'm talking to everyone and answering and looking
at... the stream of rear fender shots... and I'm like, chop it. Hey, King
Fish, chop it. Another picture... just chop it already! Another angle...
CHOP IT!! Another picture... HEY! YOU'RE NO KING! ( in my mind this
is going on, mind you) YOU'RE LIKE A DUKE OR PRINCE OR... CHOP IT!!!
And the next picture is the fender on the table all nice and cut to size.
PHEW! 'Bout time. Okay, yeah you're the King Kingfish. Glad we were
thinking the same thing about that fender. I'd save that extra piece for
later in case you need to weld it back together for something else cool.
Keep up the pace! A week to go! Go go go! ;) The skirts are working.

Too funny. Yeah, I know my threads can be a bit overwhelming with all the photos. But I truly use all of those angles and such to mull over and see if something works completely, or where should I change something, or how it looks overall. No royalty here, just a nut having fun with bikes. :D
I knew I would be cutting the fender, It just took looking at the pics to decide which section to use and in what direction. I'll definitely hang onto the extra section. It's even big enough to do a stubby front fender, but I'm not feeling that use for it.
I'll get it done in time. :D

Couldn't have asked for anything more!

And as pointed out by Chad, the way the moon disk shows through the RaT-ina skirts = $$$.

It's funny how things work out sometimes. I wasn't even thinking there would be any color at all on the skirts and was pleasantly surprised. It's really weird how the left skirt had about the same level of residual paint as the left side of the fender section and the white was concentrated in the same area to line up with the fender. Then the right side had more paint just like the right fender side.
These skirts and patina also transition better with the chainguard.
Nothing like peek-a-boo lace showing sexy moons.
At times, I've considered dulling down the tank, but I've really been enjoying the contrast of it against all of the patina.

Agree with the consensus, the first skirts obscured the Moonies too much, this set is correct..
@Da Gas Man I have learned not to give Kingfish "advice". He's going to get where he needs to go. Just follow along for the ride. You might disagree for a minute, but that's just cuz it takes a minute for all the pictures to load

Nothing like peeking through the blinds and seeing a sexy moon! :D
I'm always looking for advice during the build off. Every comment makes your brain ratchet up a bit so you end up building a much better bike than you ever could by yourself. That is the very best part of these build offs! The culmination of the rat bike collective brain that forms and keeps us going.

QUESTION?
I was thinking of using the wd40 and steel wool rubdown of the old fender just like I did the frame.
If I wanted to touchup some paint onto the fender, what process can I use to remove any wd40 residue first?
Or is there a substitute process to the we40/steel wool that is more paint friendly?
Thanks
I've had good luck with dawn dish soap in hot water and steel wool

Those skirts look really good on there. I have a set of elgins that I was going to try and use but completely forgot. Hey I still have a few days left. Lo e the way everything is tieing together on your build.

Thanks, I'm happy where this last little detour took me as well. Especially finding the Elgin skirts by chance.
Elgins would look great on your build. If you have time, go for it!!

I've had good luck with dawn dish soap in hot water and steel wool

Thanks. I'll keep that idea in mind in the future as well.

At times, I've considered dulling down the tank, but I've really been enjoying the contrast of it against all of the patina.

I didn't want to bring that up, but now that you mention it..... *bobs eyebrows* :nerd: :wink1::nod:

Lots of shifting, measuring, aligning and such to get to a point where I was happy with how the skirts, fender, and chainguard fell into place. Did some markups with foil tape.

1000023650.jpg
1000023651.jpg
1000023653.jpg
1000023654.jpg
1000023655.jpg
1000023656.jpg
1000023657.jpg

Made the cut for the front tip to sink down and be able to attach to the frame. Reference point was making sure the back tip alligned with the skirt tips.

1000023658.jpg
1000023659.jpg
1000023660.jpg
1000023661.jpg

Back