TRADITIONAL 🅵🅾🅾🅻🅸🅶🅰🅽 - 1930s Elgin Oriole

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He said, " seeing a sexy moon" while peeking through the blinds. I guess that's better than seeing a plumber's crack!

That's the view @Dr. Tankenstein gets when we are riding our bikes. :D :D :D :D

1721927487588.png

At times, I've considered dulling down the tank, but I've really been enjoying the contrast of it against all of the patina.

I didn't want to bring that up, but now that you mention it..... *bobs eyebrows* :nerd: :wink1::nod:

What does everyone think? Is the contrast of the shiny tank a cool thing or is it too out of sorts with the build?
Would dirty-ing up the tank with some earth tone acryllic paints do the job? Or should I consider painting it with my colonial red and ivory bisque?

What does everyone think? Is the contrast of the shiny tank a cool thing or is it too out of sorts with the build?
Would dirty-ing up the tank with some earth tone acryllic paints do the job? Or should I consider painting it with my colonial red and ivory bisque?
Don’t paint it

Light dirty work with grey or light brown acrylic on tank might be a good way to go. Same application can be made to the grips as well.

This memory just popped up. I got the Evans chainguard that I am using on FOOLIGAN from @joshfromga on this day 7 years ago.

1721935672775.png

One of the hardest things about creating patina is knowing when to quit.

steve-harvey-im-just-saying.gif

Don’t paint it
I WOULD NOT paint it or weather it.

If you want patina on the tank, just grease it a bit. That way, it can be easily cleaned, later on, if you want the shine back.
Light dirty work with grey or light brown acrylic on tank might be a good way to go. Same application can be made to the grips as well.
One of the hardest things about creating patina is knowing when to quit.

steve-harvey-im-just-saying.gif

Thanks for the feedback guys! I've been comfortable with the contrast ever since I added the moonies and the hidden stickshift. I just wanted a sanity check.

While I was making the previous earlier cut-n-fit post inside (to break away from the heat), I noticed it was dark outside, and had to quickly run out to the courtyard and pull all of my tools, table, parts and bike out of the rain they had been sitting in for 15 minutes or so. :D Since that band of showers passed, it's been "Sauna-vannah" here to quote DrT. We are about to have another band of thunderstorms, so I'm setting up space under our porches to start mating up parts and drilling holes for the skirt/fender/chainguard assembly.

Back