SWB0 🇭🇲 Sprint 12 - Done.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These aren't quite period correct - and they were expensive, so the pressure will be on to get them straight, but they will look pretty good. And I can introduce some gold touches.

decals.jpg

As in:
bell.jpg

I picked the frame up from the powder coaters this morning.

Happy with the colour, very disappointed with the finish. It's quite rough and orange peel.
I went to a commercial place thinking it would be a better finish than if I did it myself with spray.bike. Not even close.

'You can polish it - it's like paint' was all they had when I pointed it out.

It's taken me most of the morning to wet and dry it smooth. It's quite acceptable now, but I was hoping to be able to polish and wax it to finish. Now it's going to need a couple of coats of clear gloss. Which will be better for the decals anyway - so there is that.

Still - slightly annoyed because it cost me twice as much as doing it myself. Oh well - live and learn. At least it's 'fixedable'.

Tally ho!

powder.jpg

You are doing a great job on this bike. I'm 6'5" and it is hard to find nice tall bike frames. I go for 64cm to 68cm in my bikes and I love the older style big steel framed bikes because they fit me so well. Looking forward to the built pictures.

I also notice there is Powder Coat overspray in the BB shell. Which might be ... interesting. ( I masked it up for the clears.)

Just now tried the original bb cups and they are beyond hand-tight after three turns.
I think I'm going to have to scrape some out.

Any hints?

Last edited:
I also notice there is Powder Coat overspray in the BB shell. Which might be ... interesting. ( I masked it up for the clears.)

Just now tried the original bb cups and they are beyond hand-tight after three turns.
I think I'm going to have to scrape some out.

Any hints?
MEK on a q tip will soften the powder or you can use a scotch brite tool

IMG_2833.jpeg

"Tally Ho!" indeed!

As with your Peugeot build, you are flying on this one. Nice recovery on the poor powder coat job! All looks good.

When did you switch to the upright bars on the Peugeot? I haven't been as active on RRB in the past 6 months so I must have missed it.

Sophistic-RaT oN~!

"Tally Ho!" indeed!

As with your Peugeot build, you are flying on this one. Nice recovery on the poor powder coat job! All looks good.

When did you switch to the upright bars on the Peugeot? I haven't been as active on RRB in the past 6 months so I must have missed it.

Sophistic-RaT oN~!

These are the fifth set of bars It's had on it. Been on for a month or so. The Sunday cruiser.

ppr.jpg

MEK on a q tip will soften the powder or you can use a scotch brite tool

I don't have easy access to the solvent, but I have ordered these for delivery tomorrow.

So stick one in the Dremel and be a bit circumspect?

abwheele.jpg

But I'm going to leave it alone for a few days while 7 coats of clear dry properly.

framed2.jpg

Also determined the crash damaged Brooks isn't going to cut it. Too much angle on its dangle. Frame bent sideways too far
So I have a modern gel unit that will do the trick. I may even replace the bar tape with red and black composite.

msshop.jpg

I picked the frame up from the powder coaters this morning.

Happy with the colour, very disappointed with the finish. It's quite rough and orange peel.
I went to a commercial place thinking it would be a better finish than if I did it myself with spray.bike. Not even close.

'You can polish it - it's like paint' was all they had when I pointed it out.

It's taken me most of the morning to wet and dry it smooth. It's quite acceptable now, but I was hoping to be able to polish and wax it to finish. Now it's going to need a couple of coats of clear gloss. Which will be better for the decals anyway - so there is that.

Still - slightly annoyed because it cost me twice as much as doing it myself. Oh well - live and learn. At least it's 'fixedable'.

Tally ho!

View attachment 258949
I work in the plating industry: we don’t do powder coat, but we do get hobbyists that call us from time to time to plate all sorts of things.

-most shops are set up for volume runs and any ‘first run’ part takes a lot of time and effort to set up, making one-off jobs cost prohibitive.

Some auto restoration shops have (or have access to) small plating lines or companies that can handle one off projects.

Back