1 1/8" fork in a 1" frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
has anyone tried using a 1 1/8" fork in a 1" frame with any success?

It's possible, I had a cheapo frame that I pressed 1 1/8" head cups in and used I 1 1/8" fork on. If you do this it will destroy the head tube and make it so you can never use a 1" headset again.

Destroying the headtube does not sound good! :shock:

Nope, not good at all. I just bought a frame that someone pressed 1 1/8" head cups in so I had to make shims to use the right size 1" cups. :x

I have a set of what I'm assuming are 1 1/8 springer forks I'd like to use in what I'm assuming is only a 1" headtube, so if I don't need to go back to using 1" forks, I can install 1 1/8 cups?

If it's an older bike with the 32.5-32.7mm OD 1" (sometimes called oversize BMX or OPC size in the old days) cups you probably have enough headtube wall thickness to have a bike shop ream it out to the 34mm OD 1 1/8" cup size and won't destroy your head tube installing it. If the frame uses the modern 30mm OD 1" cups then it's probably not advisable in any case.

SoCal Jack is right. If the head tube is thick enough, having it reamed out is the only right way to do it. I had an older redline BMX cruiser with a 1 inch head tube and wanted to use a 1 1/8 threadless fork. I reamed it and raced it that way for 2 years and then sold it and it is still being raced with no problems. Just make sure that the head tube is thick enough!

waterboy said:
SoCal Jack is right. If the head tube is thick enough, having it reamed out is the only right way to do it. Just make sure that the head tube is thick enough!

What thickness would you say would be acceptable? I suppose I'm not looking for any guarantees, just some experience. I am interested in using an 1-1/8 fork and have the necessary tools to bore/face it.

I actually fit a Standard STA 1-1/18 fork into a 20" stingray frame. Only thing is that the wheel didn't have the rake like the original stingray did so your foot would interfere with the tire. Now if you went straight all the time then it'd be cool. lol. But I did get it to work with the threadless headset and no damage to the headtube or headset cups.

Pinche said:
I actually fit a Standard STA 1-1/18 fork into a 20" stingray frame. Only thing is that the wheel didn't have the rake like the original stingray did so your foot would interfere with the tire. Now if you went straight all the time then it'd be cool. lol. But I did get it to work with the threadless headset and no damage to the headtube or headset cups.

How did you accomplish this exactly?

a 1 1/8 steer will clear a frame welded like a schwinn not by much but it will. and after a lot of trying this and that made a hybrid 1" headset that worked on the 1 1/8th fork. lots of tial and error

karfer67 said:
a 1 1/8 steer will clear a frame welded like a schwinn not by much but it will. and after a lot of trying this and that made a hybrid 1" headset that worked on the 1 1/8th fork. lots of tial and error

I have read some of the BMX forums where a hybrid type of headset was pieced together. Would you recommend this over boring the headtube to accept a 1-1/8 headset?

I wouldn't have to do any of this if I could find a chromed cro-mo straight tube 26" fork that had canti braze-ons for around $50. I have klunker fever....

Speed2XS said:
karfer67 said:

I have read some of the BMX forums where a hybrid type of headset was pieced together. Would you recommend this over boring the headtube to accept a 1-1/8 headset?

I wouldn't have to do any of this if I could find a chromed cro-mo straight tube 26" fork that had canti braze-ons for around $50. I have klunker fever....
try here
http://rinienterprises.com/
look near the bottom of the "Forks" page...they have 1" Cro-mo forks that are straight but no brazed on canti-brake stubs, however they do have one that has a factory bend with all that you want.

Latest posts

Back