1-1/8 " steering tube question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to install a Felt Abraham Linkage Springer which has a 1-1/8" threadless steering tube on a 52 single bar Schwinn frame which uses a 1" steering tube.....is there anyway I can make this work...help. Also does anyone know if Felt makes this springer fork with a 1" steering tube?

I've read on here of guys grinding the cups down, heating up the head tube and slamming em in.. I have never tried it tho :roll:

Check some of the BMX forums, I've seen mention of guys doing it by some method during the transition period between 1" and 1 1/8" headtubes. Sounded a bit kluge as I recall but it has been done.

If it's an older Schwinn with the 32.5mm cups it's possible to use the method Scrumbler mentions as the 1 1/8" cups are 34mm. If the headtube walls are thick enough and you can find someone with the headtube reaming bit you can do it even easier.

You would need to file the inside of the head tube a little, file the outside of the cups a little. Once the filing is done put the cups in the freezer. While you are in there grab a frosty mug and pop open a cold beverage. Get on the computer, check RRB, answer a few emails, have another cold one. Get your frame, mallets, wood blocks, and any other tools you might need to install the cups (I like a piece of all-thread, a couple nuts and washers). After the cups have been on ice for a couple hours go back to the freezer and grab one of your cups and rush out and slam it in before it warms up. Once that one is in get the second one and repeat. Now grab another beverage and revel in your triumph.

I just recently changed to a 1 1/8" from a 1" and all I did was grinded down the bearing cups and the inside of the frame with a dremel tool. I took my time and it took me about 45 minutes and fit like a glove. I ended up getting a really cheap handlebar stem that fits 1 1/8" from a bike shop for 10 bucks. I am very happy with the end result. Here is a picture I dont have one upclose but you can see the different fork and the mountain bike handlebar stem.
SNB10706.JPG

Back