1 3/8" head tube

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for headset hardware (bearing cups/races/all that) for my buildoff bike. The only issue is that the headtube has an ID of 1 3/8 inches, which apparently is an odd size according to all the bike shops I ask. Unfortunately none are too helpful for sourcing the hardware I need. Is this truly an odd size? Anybody know where to find these?

not sure about the size, and im not sure who made your build off frame, but i know some murray bikes had an odd size bearing cup for some reason.

The frame is a coast king if that helps. If it was 1 1/8" I wouldn't have much of a problem, but its 1 3/8".

Do you still have the old cups, bearing cone, and lock nut? Just use some loose ball bearings. Pack in till full, then remove one.

use some wd40 and steel wool to polish the rust from the cups.

DSCN0529.jpg

1 3/8 roughly works out to 34.9mm, the outside diameter of a 1 1/8 headset cup is 34mm. How accurate is the 1 3/8" measurement? You still might be able to use the headset reducers. Read the link cman gave you, more info there.

Back