19?? Mercury Cycle Ladies Cruiser **edited to add photos!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I'm a 20 year old girl hailing from BC, Canada. Had a car since I was 16 but I'm getting so sick of driving, paying cost for insurance, etc, so I'm selling the .... thing. A week or so ago I was perusing craigslist for possible Bikes to get me around once I'm carless, and I found an old beautiful loop-frame ladies bike, some girl had it sitting outside her house for 2 years from a previous tenant and was just going to trash it. Once I got it home I started googling the headplate and frame stamp, with little results. Took me ages to find any information.

after i removed the back fender and chain case:

DSCN0883.jpg

DSCN0884.jpg

This is pretty much identical to my bike:

mercuryladies1.jpg

mercuryladies2.jpg

The headplate on it says "Mercury Cycle made in England". It's a one speed ladies bicycle. From what I can tell from the original parts on the website http://www.wingyourheel.com (someone set this up to gather information on the elusive bike) I am missing the back brake, and I believe the crank has been replaced, but one pedal arm and pedal. Also, the bike had been repainted blue and detailed gold, with original black paint showing through beneath it. It's pretty darn rusted but everything still works, including the ancient rod brake on the front (it seems that someone removed the rear brake).

I've already stripped her down to the frame (it's insane how simple/little dismantling there are on these old bikes) and i'm in the process of sanding her down for painting. I realize that many people would say a bike that old shouldn't be modified too far, but I know I'll get alot of use out of her so a fresh coat of paint, new crank, and new front tire is all I'm going to do.

The one thing that's got me stumped is the crank assembly on this sucker. I've never seen anything online like it, and I can't seem to get it apart past the two metal pieces sticking out of the bottom bracket.
It looks just like the illustration on this page:

1913jamecat10.jpg

Anyways, if anyone has any information about this brand of bike or model, or the crank assembly, let me know!!!

It's my first bike rebuild so far, and I do have a basic understanding of mechanics (granted, throw anything electrical at me and I guarantee I'll ruin it)

I'll put up some photos of my rustbucket later if anyone is interested. I'm thinking glossy black or silver for the frame and fenders.

Thanks everyone! This website has been a huge inspiration so far, and a huge help!

-Loralie

Re: 19?? Mercury Cycle Ladies Cruiser & Intro

Welcome to the fun Loralie! :D

We have a few lady Rat Rodders around and plenty of Canadians for sure. :wink:

Someone should be able to shed some light on the bike you found...looks cool!

Re: 19?? Mercury Cycle Ladies Cruiser & Intro

welcome and nice choice in bikes. the only time i evr heard of mercury as in bicycles was i heard somewhere that mercury was the name murray went by way back, but with your bike being made in england, probably holds no connection. i dig the fully enclosed chainguard, too.

I am relatively certain that it comes apart much like a modern 3-piece, possibly with left-handed threads on left side. Please don't chew it up with vise-grips or anything, it's no junker by any stretch!

Wow! Beautiful bike. Reminds me of this one: :lol:
gulch.jpg

Looks like you need the spanner and cup wrench for a English style bottom bracket to properly disassemble and re-set the bearings in that crank. They are simple tools, found online or at your lbs. There is a third tool to set the fixed cup on the right side, but you can probably get away with a restoration without it - just leave the fixed cup in place and mask it off.

neat project.

haha... oh the wicked witch. i didn't even realize, but you're right, it totally looks like that!

and no guys, i'm not going to wrench or vicegrip force anything, i'm a lady after all, ladies do not "force" and "wrench" we go to the bike shop down the street and ask for help!! (hmm, this also works the same for gender differences in asking for directions... hah! just teasin)

i figure i'll finish sanding her and then carry her the block to the lbs, i'm sure they're going to think i'm nuts as that place is chock full of brand new mountain bikes and bmx bikes and the like.

thanks for your comments! she's a special girl for sure, can't wait to get her on the road!

Markm said:
cool bike!!
Did it have the same chainguard as the one in the pics??

it does, i didn't get a picture of it because sadly i don't think it's salvageable. the metal is so thin it's completely rusted through in places, and has actually cracked near the middle opening :(
i think it's going to be tough to find that period of chaincase again, so i may just leave it without.

Don't worry about what others think about "modifying" a bike..........It's YOURS!......I say Rat it, Rod it and Ride it!...........Keep us posted.

look at victoria to get some ideas for this bike. what a great find. do whatever ya want with it. it's yours for sure. you can send it to me.lol have fun

Outlaw

Welcome to RRB..Cool frame..I have not seen one of those yet......"I like the loop...the loop is good" :wink:

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
Looks like you need the spanner and cup wrench for a English style bottom bracket to properly disassemble and re-set the bearings in that crank. They are simple tools, found online or at your lbs. There is a third tool to set the fixed cup on the right side, but you can probably get away with a restoration without it - just leave the fixed cup in place and mask it off.

neat project.

Beat me to it. For clarity, ifitsfree is talking about something like this: http://www.parktool.com/products/detail ... item=SPA-1. There's an in-use pic there as well.

EDIT: Right after I posted, I realized it could be a different tool. Close ups of the bottom bracket could help with which to recommend. Here's two other options:
http://www.parktool.com/products/detail ... item=HCW-4
http://www.parktool.com/products/detail ... tem=HCW-11

Back