1930 something Colson

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6vlJO7.jpg

sWGhZu.jpg
4Opu09.jpg
n25bc7.jpg

HQDgKU.jpg

My neighbors bike he wanted me to post it to see if it drawed any attention he started with a Colson frame and put parts on it from a girls Mercury both were skip tooth. Let me know what you think he has been thinking of selling if he could get what he wanted out of it

Personally, if it came my way I'd probably do $150 on it, but I don't like to be too upside down in a bike. When I'm looking at bikes, I usually say I'd spend $50-$75 for a bike with a men's frame, then add $50 each for a tank, suspension fork or drop stand, $25 for a nice rack or fenders, $25 for a good condition skip-tooth chain, and that gets you in the ball park for a fair price to buy. Others may pay more if its what they want, which is what I count on.

Personally, if it came my way I'd probably do $150 on it, but I don't like to be too upside down in a bike. When I'm looking at bikes, I usually say I'd spend $50-$75 for a bike with a men's frame, then add $50 each for a tank, suspension fork or drop stand, $25 for a nice rack or fenders, $25 for a good condition skip-tooth chain, and that gets you in the ball park for a fair price to buy. Others may pay more if its what they want, which is what I count on.
He isn't sure about selling he swears he quitting and just wants to keep one old bike but he keeps selling and buying more and says he likes it better anyway he is wanting about three times what you offered if he does sell I don't see it myself but it may be because it's out of my budget they was talk of trading for one of the beer bikes I think that's where the price come from everyone wants so much for them

I hate to say it because I don't really like to see classic bikes parted out. But, the parts are probably worth more than the complete bike.

So, if $150 is what you'd PAY for it, what would you ASK for it, if you were selling it?

It was pieced together so no shame in parting that one out. Probably worth what the guy is asking in parts.

+1. Very very true.

If it were that complete and all original, or even all correct parts, I would say $450-$500 is not unheard of, but being pieced together I'd say about half that is the top end for the whole bike. Maybe a little more if parted out correctly, but you run the risk of selling the good stuff and being stuck with the rest, so I wouldn't sell, say, the springer front end for $25-$50 and the frame for $50-$75 and be left with the rest, I would try to get a premium for the most desirable parts, then after you have made decent money liquidate the rest. If one can only hope to get $250 out of the entire bike, I would try to get $150 out of the springer and $100 out of the frame, then whatever you get for the rest of the parts is a bonus. A lot of times shipping can kill the deal on an entire bike, whereas it's not so bad on parts.

Someone thought different and I guess he did want to sell cause it sold this earlier today around 1:00 clock he got the 450 then went and picked up the beer bike I mentioned before the guy that bought it drove 6 hours from North Carolina don't understand myself but he did the beer bike is the 2010 model

After going back and reading my post I realize I need to start using more punctuation and capital letters at the beginning of sentences. I can see the confusion some could get from my post.

I'm in rogersville Tn it's between Morristown and Kingsport.He said he knowed someone I think in your area looking for one of the beer bikes the 2010 model. They was wanting to make a Shelby bike from one and would give him 600 if he found one. I know this sounds stretched but I've been around while he makes these deals. He seems to be pretty lucky when flipping bikes but he does lose some to. My neighbor has also sold RRB member 1918 Ranger a few bikes to that is how I got turned on to this sight. Neighbor told me to look on here a some of 1918 rangers bikes now I've been here since.

What I've learned from the ol' bike business is, you can make all kinds of reasonably, educated predictions, but the market throws us curveballs all the time. Ppl still get grail bikes for $20 sometimes, and ppl still get hundreds over the actual worth of a bike thru dumb luck, perseverance, or a combination of both. I've overspent on goofy bikes a bunch of times; my thinking is, if it's a bike i really want, even if it's $50 or $100 too much, I can get it NOW--- rather than waiting and waiting to find the same bike at the "right" price. Until you start talking about bikes selling in the thousands, it's all just chump-change anyway.

Back