1937 Schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this bike a few months ago, and just finally took it all apart and cleaned it. I didn't want to use any new parts, just clean up what was on it, since I like to keep bikes mostly original. This thing was a real pain to buff, but after hours buffing out the paint, the rusty wheels, and everything else it came out pretty sweet. I was kind of amazed at how much paint was left on the wheels. I rebuilt a Morrow hub for the first time, and they are quite the piece of machinery. All of the internals are really nicely machined, and it works really well. Easily the highest quality hub I've torn apart. The bike rides great, and I don't think I'll be getting rid of it anytime soon.

Before

P1020969.jpg

After

P1030143.jpg

P1030144.jpg

P1030145.jpg

P1030146.jpg

Very nice, not to bad for a litttle elbow grease. Good job.

Yep that's the same front rim, really took some effort to get that rust off the paint! The rear rim could be cleaned up a bit more, but I got a little lazy at that point. Those things were a complete pain to clean! I'd put another old whitewall on it, but that's the only one I have now. I think this is one of the few bikes that whitewalls actually look good on.

I think that's the best looking shape I've seen on one of those Schwinn twin tube frames in, paint looks awesome!

Now THAT is a beauty! I just leafed thru my prewar Schwinn book, and that style frame was introduced in 1936. Those funky frame darts were only used on 'C' models, while they also had one 'B' series model w/the same frame. I think Shelby sued Schwinn over that frame, I believe they intro'd it first. Even though Colson, CWC, and maybe Huffman all had versions of it. ~Adam

Back