1939/40 Roadmaster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Got this guy in the mail today. Gave a good cleaning. Added wheels for now. I know they don't match, they're from an Elgin but they'll do for now. I'd like to find a tank for it if anyone knows of anything.

Before:
RedCWCBentTank.jpg
[/QUOTE]

After:
070212145553.jpg

070212145605.jpg

kscheel said:
Wow, looks nice. What did you do to clean it?

I use LA's Totally Awesome Cleaner with some super fine steel wool. Then a soft rag with a little bit of rubbing compound.

I love bringing the color back out of those oldies - looks great! Does the rear carrier still have the reflector? If not a regular 1 1/2" raspberry reflector fits right in there. Finding the bent tank will not be that easy - I haven't seen one for sale in the last two years. Start shaking the bushes and see if one of your buddies is sitting one. You got the drop and stand and clip too - great score! Robert

Road Master said:
I love bringing the color back out of those oldies - looks great! Does the rear carrier still have the reflector? If not a regular 1 1/2" raspberry reflector fits right in there. Finding the bent tank will not be that easy - I haven't seen one for sale in the last two years. Start shaking the bushes and see if one of your buddies is sitting one. You got the drop and stand and clip too - great score! Robert

Thanks Robert! I know of three tanks but all are attached to frames. I found another complete deluxe bike but its been repainted and all I want is a tank, not another bike. The rear carrier reflector is half broken. I have another loose one somewhere. The drop stand is missing a bolt and I didn't save any for myself when I reproduced them so I pulled it for now. It came with the side stand so it'll do until I get more bolts made. I don't know if I'll be hanging on the this bike very long. I'm kinda sick of red bikes and everything I come across is red these days. I'd love to find a blue bike, or a green bike!

I may have a tank that would fit, i'll have to see though, I never tried but if it fits this bike it will proberly fit yours, I think yours is the color mine should of been lol might not though because that deeper curve at back of tank. also regarding the paint thing, used motor oil and a rag works good to, I offten use that on old english bikes, it seems to work good on these too, to this day it still shines in all it's rusty glory lol.

Before oil
101_0038.jpg

after oil bath
101_0039.jpg

Yes, I know what you mean about red colored bikes, especially the CWCs. Phil Marshall describes it as their "go-to color". Everytime I strip one down there is red at the core, even my '36. I was thrilled to get the '36 Snyder Belknap a few weeks ago - a BLUE Bike! I have no intentions of ever painting a bike red. If that bike you have is a '39 I may be interested in taking it off your hands in the near future. I'm trying to have one bike for every year of CWC Production between 1935 and 1949 and I am in need of a '39. Even a RED ONE! When you are working with original paint there isn't much you can do. That's funny you didn't save a pair of drop stand bolts for yourself. Don't you have any other bikes that need them? Or did you get all yours fixed up w/ the last batch of bolts? Seems like I need more and more every day. If you decide to sell I don't need the wheels - I have a ton of wheels. Keep me in mind. Robert

Latest posts

Back