1940's Colson

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
theVULTURE said:
does anyone know if the purpose of the vertical grills in the tank is for holding paper?
Offhand, I'd guess its to reflect automotive styling of the time

1940_Lincoln_Zephyr_V_12_Convertible_1.jpg

I wouldn't mess with it at all. The tires are already correct for the bike and very rare, beyond some gentle wiping down, it really needs to be left alone, but it's of course your bike. The paint color would come back up some but it's probably better to just try to not let it deteriorate any further. I would die if I found that. Congrats.

I think those tires are called "Cordobian" with the ribbed sides. Or "Corniche" or something like that.

I appreciate all the advice and comments from you guys, thanks.
I started to pull the bike apart this afternoon and found out that it has been repainted, the inside of the tank and frame are dark dark red, so I assume that it hurts the value since it's not the original paint.
So I'm thinking that if I do decide to repaint it it won't hurt the value as much.

I just scored this frame last week and I had no idea what kind of bike I had, until I looked at the bicycle bible, "Evolution of the bicycle vol.2" ! I flipped through the "bible" page by page until I spotted a frame that caught my eye, It was very similar to my frame so I googled "1940 Colson frame" and this thread popped up!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19926&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

And just like that....There was my frame!
I had been wanting to build a "correct" vintage KLUNKER and after months of collecting vintage parts for this build...I found this frame! After I had seen the photo's & read some of the comments I was having second thoughts about using this frame for this kind of build!

I have been searching for the right frame for this build and I thought this would be perfect, but what I really want is a 1940/41 SCHWINN EXCELSIOR frame! Does anyone want to trade?
here are a few photo's of my 1940/41 Colson frame:

I love the lines on this frame !
n39flt.jpg

To KLUNK or not to KLUNK...That is the question ?
ibkpqq.jpg

I love this teardrop rear triangle...Very nice !
autu06.jpg

I AM VERY SERIOUS ABOUT TRADING ! PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU ARE INTERESTED. GERRY D. FBK.

IB57 said:
I appreciate all the advice and comments from you guys, thanks.
I started to pull the bike apart this afternoon and found out that it has been repainted, the inside of the tank and frame are dark dark red, so I assume that it hurts the value since it's not the original paint.
So I'm thinking that if I do decide to repaint it it won't hurt the value as much.

Are you sure the red paint you see isn't the primer? Either way, this is clearly a somewhat rare, unique bike and everyone is saying not to mess with it. But the paint is a bit shabby up and you gotta get a fender and a rack anyways. So paint her. Just not with spray cans. If you want to be "period correct" I don't think it should have a clear coat though. I'm sure someone else knows better about the topic, but you should you should try to paint it just like they would have in 1940. Spray alkyd paint, I don't know if they used a two part paint or not.
If I was you I might just get a set of fenders instead of trying to find a match for the back one. Some prewar fenders off whatever. Plus the one on there looks small anyway. Something a little beefy, or deeper might look cool. I'd pound out and fill in the dents on the chainguard. I'd probably use Bondo to make it smooth, but don't, fill it with lead or brass. Then find a rear rack if you can. You probably wont find the exact one without some real patience, so just buy a similar Colson rack.
All and all, restore it and customize it. Unless you are after top dollar for it why have a bike that's set up exactly the same way it came from the factory? A bike should be set up for the rider too.

Man, whatever you do, don't mess it up by restoring that. That thing is beautiful. You really have something there!

If you wanna, maybe clean it a bit, but that patina is awesome. If you restore it, you will ruin it.

Back