1947-48 J.C. Higgins Tanker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Came home with this 47-48 J.C. Higgins Tanker last night. I got wind of it a couple weeks back and went to look at it Saturday. Bought it from the original owner's widow who past this last month. He re-painted the bike back when he was a kid and put his name "Bobbie" on the chain guard and had kept it all these years. Except for one pedal the bike is original. I am wondering about the headlight though. I know it's period, but is it an original J.C. Higgins, or was it an upgrade from the light that came on the bike?

That light would be a later substitution. The original would have been a toploader torpedo.

CeeBee said:
Very cool! I think "kid" modified and repainted bikes with a detail like the kid's name on it are awesome. Something about that kind of thing tells a story that an original or restored bike can't. 8)

Thanks. I'm looking forward to cleaning, some minor repairs, and general massaging of the bike. I do want to leave it as close to as I found it as possible. :wink:

The_Black_Monark said:
Cool bike! Pics of the carrier? Looks like it has been changed too.

Here ya go. From the pics (drawings) I've been supplied with, it looks like the original rack to me. :wink:

Sturdy carrier, but it's a replacement.
Orig should be a streamlined as shown below, mounts to seat post binder:

2013-09-11_003.JPG

higrack.JPG

good find man 8)

:D :D I'm thinking good old "Bobbie", which I met his widow, wanted to up date his bike in the early 60's. Thus the home paint, early 60's light and yes, the rack :p :oops: . She did say that they as farm neighbors and kids rode bikes together from the time they were early teens, till the first baby came along after being married. I don't believe I'll change this one at all, the story and background is too cool to mess with.

Latest posts

Back