1948 Schwinn "Project Motorbike" new pics!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it's been a while, but I'm getting a lot done lately :)
I swapped out the seat to a vintage brooks, went ahead and got
the skiptooth stuff put on, finished up the tank and tank covers,
made an exhaust from scratch and lots more!
I'm in the middle of fabbing up the rear sprocket adapter.
Here's where it's at right now. Almost there!
Then of course it will be torn down and painted and built a
second and final time ... hopefully.
I should be able to ride this by early spring :)
Oh ... I'm looking for a slightly bigger 6v headlight. anybody have one?
IMAG_0410_zps65dad11e.jpg

Very nice! I'm loving the direction of this build!

Oh, I meant to post this one too... it shows the width of the tanks a little better... more pics to come... I have something I'd like to get done on it tomorrow...top secret :D
IMAG_0412_zpseab31f82.jpg

Ok, I looked around and didn't like any of the current hub adapters for the rear sprocket... plus I was **** bent on using the original New departure hub that I have... So, I made my own. Here's how...
I machined a couple pieces 6" diameter. The piece on the left is going on the outside of the wheel and the sprocket will bolt to it... the piece on the right will clamp around the hub.

IMAG_0503_zpsd0995123.jpg

Here's the piece clamped around the hub...
IMAG_0504_zpsa61df34e.jpg

Here I bolted a standard 130mm single speed / BMX chainring onto the other piece... I ended up re-bolting it onto the backside eventually to get a proper chain line
IMAG_0505_zps4caa0b75.jpg

Then I made some spacers to sandwich between the two pieces...
IMAG_0506_zps7015c854.jpg

IMAG_0507_zpsfaf51345.jpg

And here it is all put together with the brake arm back in place...
IMAG_0508_zps79a5c397.jpg

And here it is on the bike... everything worked out great... runs straight and true and one step closer to gettin' er done :)
IMAG_0509_zpsbba1793e.jpg

Is that just a velocity stack for the intake. If it is, you might want to give some serious consideration to some kind of filter. Two-stroke engines have very short lifespans unfiltered.

http://www.your-adrenaline-fix.com/top-end-rebuild.html

Condition of the Air Filter or Frequency of Air Filter MaintenanceNeglecting the air filter maintenance on dirt bikes is one of the best ways of wearing out a top end, (not to mention what it does to crank and rod bearings) as running a dirty air filter can starve the engine for air, as well as neglected air filters often allow unfiltered air to pass through unbeknownst rips or separations of the filter element allowing unfiltered air to be ingested ultimately resulting in piston and cylinder damage, as well as accelerated wear of the connecting rod and crankshaft main bearings. Anytime you're servicing the air filter, If dirt particles are present in the intake tract, you may want to consider tearing it down so you can take a look at the cylinder walls for any evidence of scoring or other damage.

mybike1 said:
Well... I wanted to try this and I think it turned out pretty good.... I made some cooling fins for the exhaust... just because I think they look cool :)
IMAG_0413_zpsdfebe9ed.jpg

how did you do that? i want to do that, im looking for a 60s custom chopper look in my next build anyway :mrgreen:

021.jpg

and this don't be upset, its not 'Destroyed' its been 'Re-purposed for a better cause/use :p 8)

Back